Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I recently closed my food diary. I just need to do this for me for a little while. I need to honestly log what I'm eating - for me, so I can see where I'm going wrong and try to fix it. for example: Why did I close it and not just post that I ate 6 donuts? Because I don't need the negative comments. I beat myself up enough.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My friends can see my diary(I think?). I'm not hiding it, but at the same time I don't want people being judgemental because I don't eat "clean" or because of other factors. In other words, I don't need the drama.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't see how looking at my diary will help anyone. I can be more honest with myself without fear of judgment. some days I barely what enough to keep a toddler alive and others I'm sure I could win an eating contest...a few reasons why mine is private
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I guess I am curious to responses as well, but it really doesnt bother me if my pals have a closed diary
    At the end of the day other peoples intake wont shift my fat.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I don't see how looking at my diary will help anyone. I can be more honest with myself without fear of judgment. some days I barely what enough to keep a toddler alive and others I'm sure I could win an eating contest...a few reasons why mine is private

For some of us, it gives us food ideas. i can stick to pretty much the same things otherwise.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I guess I am curious to responses as well, but it really doesnt bother me if my pals have a closed diary
    At the end of the day other peoples intake wont shift my fat.

Exactly, my point. Trust me, I am not losing sleep over Egghead180's hidden diary profile, girl I got bigger and better fish to fry...I just asked a question because I was truly curious, that's it...nothing more...
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its not really anyones concern what goes into my mouth, unless we are intimate and getting down to the dirty.

I got fed up a while ago of all the snooping, comments of my diet so closed it up.

I log everything on my diary (now), when it was open I would refrain from logging the 'bad stuff' incase I got 'found out'. It felt like i was sneak eating which to be honest, wasnt much different from hiding food and eating it, it didnt feel right.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Because it's a personal tracking tool for me, it's nobody else's business what I eat.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you took the time to look at my profile and learn my first name then you know the key to my diary.
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    1. They're a pig and don't want people to see how much they're eating

2. They do something out of the norm such as eat 800 calories a day, or fast sometimes, low carb, or just something that most people don't usually do. They are concerned people will criticize them.

3. It keeps the more accountable. If I eat a large cake, I can log it and know i ate, but no one else would see it, so I don't have to feel self conscious about it. Easier people to log under this condition.

4. They have insulin resistance and have to eat 100 carbs or fewer per day and get sick and tired of people asking them, "Why are you doing low-carb? You know that sucks, right? You're going to lose so much muscle! Carbs are GOOD for you!"

5. Unsolicited comments from people who see a random board post that has nothing to do with asking for help. They just decide to look at your profile, see your diary, and then PM you with, "Sooooooo... I see you had a Diet Coke the other day. You know you're going to die if you drink that, right?"

#4 and #5 are why I closed mine. There are reasons other than "shame" for keeping one's diary closed.

OMG! THIS! I've got insulin resistance and a bunch of other problems that make it difficult for me to eat like a 'normal' person. I've decided to keep mine closed since I've been getting unsolicited advice from mfp certified nutritionists. No one has access to my diary except I've specifically given you the password to it and that's the way it's going to remain :)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i have it open for my friends but so many judgmental food "experts" on here who will tell you everything your doing is wrong even when you have a health condition and are set on that diet from your doctor makes me want to keep it private
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Some people are not comfortable with others seeing what they eat...or more importantly sometimes, don't eat. When I was at my worst with anorexia I frequently his my diary, made me feel safe, and then I could eat tiny amounts without anyone to judge me
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

4. They have insulin resistance and have to eat 100 carbs or fewer per day and get sick and tired of people asking them, "Why are you doing low-carb? You know that sucks, right? You're going to lose so much muscle! Carbs are GOOD for you!"

exactly this i was told a long lecture the other day how eating below 120g of carbs is so bad for me and that my body will start eating my brain or something along that line even tho i have insulin resistance pcos and hashimoto my doctor put me on this diet along with medication because my body dosnt know wtf to do with carbs
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    1. They're a pig and don't want people to see how much they're eating

2. They do something out of the norm such as eat 800 calories a day, or fast sometimes, low carb, or just something that most people don't usually do. They are concerned people will criticize them.

3. It keeps the more accountable. If I eat a large cake, I can log it and know i ate, but no one else would see it, so I don't have to feel self conscious about it. Easier people to log under this condition.

5. Unsolicited comments from people who see a random board post that has nothing to do with asking for help. They just decide to look at your profile, see your diary, and then PM you with, "Sooooooo... I see you had a Diet Coke the other day. You know you're going to die if you drink that, right?"

#4 and #5 are why I closed mine. There are reasons other than "shame" for keeping one's diary closed.

We all have varying levels of insulin resistance. Problem is many people use that as a cover for their fear of carbs. You improve insulin resistance by losing weight. You lose weight by eating as much calories as you can, as long as your weight loss goals are not hindered.

Most go straight to "low carb" from the start. Then they wonder why they fail and feel like ****.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently hidden because I am working very closely with my doctor and nutritionist- logging things in the notes like details about bm's and such and I don't think anyone else needs to see that. If there was a way to have my diary open, but keep the notes private- I would.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hide mine, but that is only because i tend to use the 'add quick calories' function a lot, because i like to read packets and add up exactly how many calories i'm consuming, which can sometimes be different from what MFP thinks it is, (even on something simple like a pack of crisps)> When i opened my diary, i had tons of people asking why i was quick adding calories, so i thought it was just easier to hide it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Because then everyone would see my servings of human jerky.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Because then everyone would see my servings of human jerky.
    let me get some of that.
  • danelledawnc
    danelledawnc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Because if you aren't on my friends list, why are you checking my diary? Mine is open if you are a friend, otherwise, it's closed.

^^This - because I do not need affirmation or bullying from complete strangers about what I eat or how I exercise. My own little "support group," aka friends, is all I need :)
  • ThimbleSizedPerfection
    Options
    I know for me at least it's embarrassing to have every mistake made that day broadcasted for the whole world to see. It's the same as how some people hide their facebook pages and some people have them public.