So...what new things are you learning?

Options
13»

Replies

• caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That skin tags were connected to being fat. I had no idea until I lost 100 lbs. and stopped getting them.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've learned that I'll have problems finding clothing in my size, fat or not.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have learned that the word "cheat" should be removed from peoples vocabulary. It was all or nothing for me for so long, and it has been damn hard to learn that moderation is key. Having a bowl of ice cream is not cheating myself by any stretch of the imagination.
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've learned 3 great things:

1. I really don't have to eat 3lbs out of the feed bag every single meal to feel full - this really is a self-trained phenomenon
    2. If I exercise, really CAN put my pants on one leg at a time while standing - I can now balance myself just fine on one leg while doing an activity
    3. If you need some "tough love", you're going to get some at MFP!

All kidding aside, I love this site. I learn something new all the time. Thanks to all who contribute - the knowledge you share is greatly appreciated.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. consistancy and honesty with myself are super important for my success
    2. I really can control my wieght if I work at it!
    3. I can actually run, like more than 100m, and I actually kinda like it now....
    4. tons and tons of little facts about nutrition and how the body works and so on and what not
  • brinkels
    brinkels Posts: 1
    Options
    I've learned to say, "no" to people who offer me food, even if they are just being nice. I've also learned that saying, "yes" every once in awhile is ok too. I've learned that diets are not long term solutions to a weight problem. I know we've all heard it before: it's supposed to be a lifestyle change. You'd be surprised how many times I had to yo-yo diet to understand that. Now I don't rely on the scale...it has hurt me more than it's helped. I've learned to feel good about myself no matter what size I am. To eat real food, not processed protein powder. If you are going to limit yourself you might as well limit yourself to foods you like. Why waste your calorie budget on things you don't even want? I've learned coffee is a non-negotiable for me. I've learned food has no morality...it is not good or bad. I do not need to feel guilty about what I eat or what I weigh. I just need to choose to not give up and try again tomorrow.

People say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. They are all wrong. It is 90% mental and 10% is the rest. Set achievable goals. If the scale motivates you, then use it. If protein powder is delicious, then eat it. If your mom always has ice cream in her freezer, stop visiting her. If your exercise buddy is getting competitive, then ditch her. I follow healthy, strong, positive people on social media sites like Pinterest and Instagram to give me positive motivation when I'm feeling weak. This is my exit strategy when I hit a mental rut.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    brinkels wrote: »
    I've learned to say, "no" to people who offer me food, even if they are just being nice. I've also learned that saying, "yes" every once in awhile is ok too. I've learned that diets are not long term solutions to a weight problem. I know we've all heard it before: it's supposed to be a lifestyle change. You'd be surprised how many times I had to yo-yo diet to understand that. Now I don't rely on the scale...it has hurt me more than it's helped. I've learned to feel good about myself no matter what size I am. To eat real food, not processed protein powder. If you are going to limit yourself you might as well limit yourself to foods you like. Why waste your calorie budget on things you don't even want? I've learned coffee is a non-negotiable for me. I've learned food has no morality...it is not good or bad. I do not need to feel guilty about what I eat or what I weigh. I just need to choose to not give up and try again tomorrow.

People say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. They are all wrong. It is 90% mental and 10% is the rest. Set achievable goals. If the scale motivates you, then use it. If protein powder is delicious, then eat it. If your mom always has ice cream in her freezer, stop visiting her. If your exercise buddy is getting competitive, then ditch her. I follow healthy, strong, positive people on social media sites like Pinterest and Instagram to give me positive motivation when I'm feeling weak. This is my exit strategy when I hit a mental rut.

All of this. Except for the stop visiting your mom part. 18 hours of labour and you can't even pay her one measly visit? :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of mean people.

CICO only works for a very few select individuals and the rest of us have special snowflake metabolisms.

A cleanse only works if it includes cayenne.

Sugar is the devil.

I look awesome in a little black dress.

@tincanonastring‌ pics or it didn't happen
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That training in a deficit is *seriously* pushing out my Bonk Line - the mileage where a distance runner "hits The Wall", as they say.

By training with low/already-depleted glycogen tanks, all systems are learning how to better handle the changeover to shutdown/survival at The Wall.

It does make long runs, however, horrible. It's terrible *starting* a run already Bonked... but in this case, pain==gain.

I normally Bonk between mile 19 and 20, making the last 10k horrible. I might just be able to (for the first time) push it out past mile 26 and run my first Bonk Free Marathon this fall. I could shave 20 minutes off my PR from that alone.

I only have one definition for the word Bonk..and it simply won't work in this context :yum:
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I learned that I don't have to settle for being frumpy and flabby just because I'm in my forties.

YES!!!! THIS!!! YES!!!!
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That most restaurant food isn't worth it.

Absolute truth!
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    I've learned to log even my bad days. Looking at them hurts but at the same time it's something that shows me what I need to work on.

This!

• purebredpolly
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've learned my reasons why not to lose weight, were excuses I used to allow me to keep eating whatever I wanted, and I apparently have a spoiled 5 year old girl inside me who loves cake, and fast food.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    That's I'm stubborn and will do what I have to do to be successful.

That I won't starve myself.

That no matter if asked for or not, once you start eating healthy, everyone has an opinion....

That I had to learn to withhold my comments when I see someone on a fad diet eat little to nothing.

That I may not have the highest calorie burn but it's d@mn good for me and I'm proud of it. LOL...

That food is not bad. It's food!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I learned that I have to do this, ME, for ME, by ME and only then will I succeed.

Sure others help with motivation and keeping me going- but first I had commit myself to the journey and all that comes with it
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've learned that the digital scale I bought to weigh ingredients for meat/sausage curing is an essential tool for portion sizing and logging.

I've recently learned that after 30 years of being away, I now swim like a dying rhinoceros.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been eating mostly foods that "remember where they came from" - not processed, most in their original state. It's crazy, but I never feel hungry. I'm eating foods that satisfy, reasonable and fulfilling portions, and my body seems to break it down slowly enough that I don't get that crazy gnawing hunger between meals.