Often hungry

Options
hupsii
hupsii Posts: 258 Member
Hi everybody,

I am 51 years old, female and at 1600 kcals for 5ft8 with 35.8 % body fat at 209 lbs. I log half of all the exercise kcals and usually eat them as well as I am often hungry and then get over my allowance. Actually, I am always hungry :-( .
At this rate, I maintain my weight but I don't really lose anything. I guess I should eat 1400 max. How do you control your portions ? How do you keep full ?
Thanks for your advice !

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Plenty of water and carrot sticks for me!

Coffee suppresses appeteite
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    water.. water... water,

before every meal drink 1 pint of water, after you eat, drink 1 pint of water,

you may be back and forth to the toilet all day but it will keep your apetitie at bay
  • nucgirl13
    nucgirl13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I really never feel full. For me it is all about planning: I calculate all my calories I get during the day and them plan out what healthy meals and snacks I can eat for those calories and I stick to only eating what I have planned for. If I get hungry I either wait until my next meal time or eat a meal or snack early and risk being hungry later (I usually eat 5-6 times a day). I usually never feel full but I'm never really hungry either - I just get bored and want to eat and planning has really helped with that.
  • hupsii
    Options
    ok - thanks guys. Will try the carrot sticks, the water, and plan more !
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    1400-1600 calories seems is quite low, so it is bound to be difficult. I have to do 600+ calories of exercise a day so I can eat properly. If you've just started it will take you a while to get used to being hungry because you're body can easily go and get the calories if it wants to, as it has before. It's about discipline and will power, and all that other stuff which is easier said than done, unfortunately.

Here's what I would do:
    As others have said, drink a lot of water.
    Make sure you are getting plenty of your calories from protein as this should make you feel fuller for longer.
    Make sure you are getting most of your carb calories from vegetables - simple carbs (sugary foods, white bread, white rice, white pasta, etc.) will give you a lot of calories for only a small amount making you less full, more complex carbs (brown bread, brown rice, brown pasta, etc.) are slightly better, but vegetables are very low in calories, meaning that 100 calories worth of broccoli is going to be a much larger portion, and therefore more filling, than 100 calories of bread.
    Make sure most of the fat you take in is from healthy fat sources. These are likely to make you feel satisfied, while being healthier for your body, and perhaps helping with the weight loss too.
    Make sure you're getting in a good amount of fibre a day from what you eat, as this should be more filling.
    Try to keep as much high-calorie stuff out of your house as possible, then if you can't control yourself you will have to snack on something healthy.
    Learn ways to distract yourself from the hunger, or when you get hungry do some more exercise to earn the calories you want to eat.
    Eat slowly so that your stomach will notice that it is full sooner - eat until you're just satisfied, rather than being full or stuffed.
    Have a cheat meal/day every so often (no more than once a week). Set a date to make sure you aren't having them too regularly whenever you feel like it, and don't go too crazy on what you eat, but it may help satisfy your cravings and keep you going to have a regular release.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I took a sneak peek at your diary....more protein in your diet would help you feel fuller for longer.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I've just looked at your diary. You seem to be hitting your calorie goal every day, rather than over eating?
  • kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Protein + whole grain food/carbs! :) And try to eat 5-6 times. Maybe that will help. And on the weight loss plateau thing, add more intensity to your exercise. Proper nutrition + great exercise = fat loss. :)
  • kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you're eating too much calorie-dense carbs! No wonder they leave you hungry!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    a few quick thoughts-
    first , i concur with the drinking water idea. see if it works.

second - i looked at a few days' worth in your diary . personally, it looks like you are eating a bit too much "junk" and too little "food". It's fine to give yourself a treat once in a while, but you seem to be wasting a LOT of calories on the extras. for example, last tuesday, you spent about 500 calories on treats (which are high in carbs/sugar). so when you don't have a lot to play around with, you want to focus more on lean proteins and healthy carbs. try hummus and veg for a snack. lower fat /lower cal yoghurts.

third - how much exercise are you doing? can you up the time/intensity
  • smcturbo
    smcturbo Posts: 16
    Options
    I fill up on tons of vegetables - cooked, grilled, broiled, raw, topped with herbs, plain - you can eat & eat with veggies (no butter needed) and you get tons of crunch and/or flavor. Broiled eggplant is a new fav of mine, cucumbers are always good, fresh green beans raw, asparagus - find what you like!
  • hupsii
    Options
    @stt43 yes, I try ...but I don't lose at 1600. . My BMR is only about 1300 (calculated based upon my BF) by a professional.So, I should really eat even less ...
  • shikiwiki13
    Options
    Chew gum! Or keep celery sticks or carrot sticks on hand. & drink plenty of water!
  • hupsii
    Options
    a few quick thoughts-
    first , i concur with the drinking water idea. see if it works.

second - i looked at a few days' worth in your diary . personally, it looks like you are eating a bit too much "junk" and too little "food". It's fine to give yourself a treat once in a while, but you seem to be wasting a LOT of calories on the extras. for example, last tuesday, you spent about 500 calories on treats (which are high in carbs/sugar). so when you don't have a lot to play around with, you want to focus more on lean proteins and healthy carbs. try hummus and veg for a snack. lower fat /lower cal yoghurts.

third - how much exercise are you doing? can you up the time/intensity

I agree last week was not my best ... I exercise 3 x a week mainly strength training and some cardio. OK, I will have to find more veggies to snack. Thanks !
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I am 51 years old, female and at 1600 kcals for 5ft8 with 35.8 % body fat at 209 lbs. I log half of all the exercise kcals and usually eat them as well as I am often hungry and then get over my allowance. Actually, I am always hungry :-( .
    At this rate, I maintain my weight but I don't really lose anything. I guess I should eat 1400 max. How do you control your portions ? How do you keep full ?
    Thanks for your advice !

You need to eat stuff that keeps you full - protein does that, eat lots of protein.

I also space my three meals out during the day as evenly spaced as I can, if I do get hungry I just have to realize that it isn't long until my next meal.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but, try more protein. I keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator at all times. They are low calorie and full of protein.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Are you eating lots of veggies? I find that apples keep me full for hours. After eating one, I physically cannot eat another bite. Find something with lots of bulk. BTW, I am 58, 5"0", and weigh about 190.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others have said about healthier snack, more fiber and protein, etc. Water is huge in helping to stop me from reaching for snacks.

But ...... I'm not sure if it's been suggested, but are you sure you're really hungry or are there triggers that are making you think you are. I fall into the latter category, I can eat a nice healthy protein and fiber filled meal and 1/2 hr later want to eat again. I know I have an issue with my relationship with food, and my triggers can be a food commercial, boredom, or a stress/emotional reaction to a situation.

Not saying this is your issues, just sharing my 2 cents from my journey. Best of luck finding your way!:drinker:
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but, try more protein. I keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator at all times. They are low calorie and full of protein.

They are also full of cholesterol and sodium, which can sometimes be deal breakers.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with 1500 calories-get hungry-and I am 5' 4" at 147. Are your numbers right?

I am set for losing .5 pounds a week with light activity. I am a stay-at-home mom -- I truly do take advantage of being at home with working all day--cleaning, up and down stairs etc. The 1470 calories goal, for me, can be hard some days because I feel too hungry.

I was just wondering if yours is too low, or you weight loss is set too high per week-ie lose 2 pounds a week or something?

With that said, I am planning, planning planning and learning to eat less processed foods and more nuts, pb, greek yogurt, veggies, fruit and even popcorn or skinny cow ice cream bar for my snacks.

Keep posting!! Keep researching