11 pounds lost and thighs are still huge

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sounds like your lower body reduces fat storage slower than any where else on your body. So just keep working at it. Eventually you'll tap that extra fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Just to say, in some women, tapping that "extra fat" can mean losing way too much fat in the face, arms, and chest, and still not being happy. Because that fat, in the thighs, is highly resistant. And, sometimes this means women lose their periods.

Looking at that pic of OP, I don't see where fat's going to from her arms. She looks toned and great. She's 140 something pounds - of muscle, already.

There are limits to what can be done to a body without hurting it. I just don't see a reason to encourage further loss when the person is healthy and very clearly fit and has lovely legs anyway.

People here saying your thighs look great, OP, aren't lying. People here aren't known to mince words to be nice, lol.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to tell you what I and pretty much ALL of my girlfriends went through at your age that now we look back and are like, damn we were totally insecure, stupid and silly. (Not insulting you, just telling you how we were at your age.)
    You have to understand that at the age of 20 you are seeing images that tell you what is supposed to be beauty and what is considered not beautiful. Your body, at 5'7 and 134 is better than fine, it is awesome! You thinking your thighs are big is all in your head and has little to do with what is actually portrayed in your pics. Your thighs are perfect. I have thighs similar to yours, they have always been muscular, and well shaped and defined. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! (although at present I need to reshape them as I have been a tad bit lazy in keeping them up ;p). At your age I did the same things you are doing now and I wish someone told me when to stop it and just love who I was esp. when I was your size. Believe me, when you get to be my age (40) you will wish you had stopped this madness and embraced who you were at that time in your life. You wish that you would have worn those skimpy two piece bikinis and flaunted, in an appropriate way, your beautiful figure. (not that you don't wear them, I am just giving an example). Trust me, when I tell you, embrace you and love you and be not only proud but happy that you have the awesome body you have.
    STOP thinking that you have to look like certain ppl out in the world, STOP comparing yourself to other women who may or may not have the same genetic make up and body shape as you. BEYONCE, and I know you know her, has very healthy thighs. She works out and her body is shaped like a brick S@#$ house, even with her thick thighs. If you don't like that example, look at the Venus sisters, one is a larger framed sister and the other smaller framed, but the BOTH have nicely shaped thighs- one's thighs are much bigger than the other because of their body shapes which is genetics, but they likely don't have much if any fat on their bodies, they are muscular and there is nothing wrong with that.
    I can say the same about myself. My sister and I are polar opposites. She is built on a frame like my mother, thin, small, frail almost. I on the other hand take after my father's side where two of my aunts are/were over 5'9 and built of a much sturdier frames. I am taller than my sister and I have a larger chest and thighs than her, but that is genetics. My body developed one way hers another.
    What I am trying to say is, you are who you are. You are a very healthy weight, despite your desire to want to loose more, and you have very nice, shapely thighs that are not huge or large. I don't know who or what standard of beauty you are comparing yourself to but like many other women on this post said, STOP IT. Love you, embrace you.

Yes.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You have a beautiful shape, a female shape. You don't in any way look over weight. You have a similar form as I do. I'm 47 and most of my life I have had a warped perception of how I am supposed to look. I'd struggled through radical eating habits and over working out. In 2010 I was at my lowest weight, thinking my thighs, my big thighs. Everybody I knew would tell me i was fine, but too thin. I saw the back of myself in a mirror, I could have held a coke can where my thigh gap was. It was not attractive. Size double zero jeans and I was proud at the time of that. I can't believe how I saw myself. In September of last year I was married and when looking back (and on my wedding day, wearing a white skirt) I thought If I just had a few more inches off my thighs, but now when i see after putting on 30 or so pounds in in about 5 months, wow, I just want to get back to that. You have a fantastic figure and look muscular which is now what I'm after. I am learning about lifting and have always loved walking. Also a slimmer waist always made my thighs seem large to me, but that's how I'm shaped, perception. When I get back to this, I am vowing never to try to get my thighs smaller. I wasted so much energy on something that I only saw was wrong with me. I'm getting older and I realize I had a warped image of myself, even on my wedding day last year. sophtkt4pg8u.jpg
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to tell you what I and pretty much ALL of my girlfriends went through at your age that now we look back and are like, damn we were totally insecure, stupid and silly. (Not insulting you, just telling you how we were at your age.)
    You have to understand that at the age of 20 you are seeing images that tell you what is supposed to be beauty and what is considered not beautiful. Your body, at 5'7 and 134 is better than fine, it is awesome! You thinking your thighs are big is all in your head and has little to do with what is actually portrayed in your pics. Your thighs are perfect. I have thighs similar to yours, they have always been muscular, and well shaped and defined. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! (although at present I need to reshape them as I have been a tad bit lazy in keeping them up ;p). At your age I did the same things you are doing now and I wish someone told me when to stop it and just love who I was esp. when I was your size. Believe me, when you get to be my age (40) you will wish you had stopped this madness and embraced who you were at that time in your life. You wish that you would have worn those skimpy two piece bikinis and flaunted, in an appropriate way, your beautiful figure. (not that you don't wear them, I am just giving an example). Trust me, when I tell you, embrace you and love you and be not only proud but happy that you have the awesome body you have.
    STOP thinking that you have to look like certain ppl out in the world, STOP comparing yourself to other women who may or may not have the same genetic make up and body shape as you. BEYONCE, and I know you know her, has very healthy thighs. She works out and her body is shaped like a brick S@#$ house, even with her thick thighs. If you don't like that example, look at the Venus sisters, one is a larger framed sister and the other smaller framed, but the BOTH have nicely shaped thighs- one's thighs are much bigger than the other because of their body shapes which is genetics, but they likely don't have much if any fat on their bodies, they are muscular and there is nothing wrong with that.
    I can say the same about myself. My sister and I are polar opposites. She is built on a frame like my mother, thin, small, frail almost. I on the other hand take after my father's side where two of my aunts are/were over 5'9 and built of a much sturdier frames. I am taller than my sister and I have a larger chest and thighs than her, but that is genetics. My body developed one way hers another.
    What I am trying to say is, you are who you are. You are a very healthy weight, despite your desire to want to loose more, and you have very nice, shapely thighs that are not huge or large. I don't know who or what standard of beauty you are comparing yourself to but like many other women on this post said, STOP IT. Love you, embrace you.

Very nice post :) Thank you for writing this out in a way that doesn't set it up as small thighs vs not small thighs or men like X vs men don't like Y.

This is so true. I'm 47 and just last year i was still obsessing over my thighs, then packed on 30 and working to get back to just that and stop my own madness. What was I thinking. Great post and OP You look Great, right now, just as you are!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am so not an expert here. But your thighs look incredibly muscular.
    Could laying off the leg weights slim them down some??

So my opinion saying I think op's thighs look incredibly muscular is classed as abuse now?? I didn't say they were too big or ugly or whatever. I just happen to see where she's coming from. And I don't think umpteen posts saying she looks great etc etc is going to help her to get where she wants to go. Sure, it might make her feel better. But it's her body and she needs to live with it and shape it in whatever way she sees fit.

I wasn't offended and you make a great point!! :)

Thank goodness :smile: Because my intention was so not to offend or "abuse" you xx
  • cherellenjohnson9
    cherellenjohnson9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the support and the advice. I am going to continue to lift, do cardio, and eat as healthy as I can. Fitness is a difficult journey with a lot of set backs but I will continue to work hard. I still plan to reach my goal of 127lbs but I will do it the right way.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lift heavy things!

Thumbs up.
  • chicadymanica1
    Options
    Hi, women should not try to emulate men's bodies and we should be proud of having curves. Your thighs look just right to me. Any narrower and you'd start to loose your femininity. Celebrate being a woman! By the way, I did find that by running for 30 minutes twice a week my thighs became more finely sculped in the right places.
    I hope that helps but please keep positive about your body image. You look terrific to all of us readers.
  • wildflowerherbal
    wildflowerherbal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Girl...embrace those thighs! You look great. Keep them toned and shapely...but some of us ( myself included...and mine are 10000x bigger than yours) just have big legs and booty and hips. It just is. Best thing we can do is work with what we've got and embrace it. :-)

Agree. You hhave to figure out your body shape and work with it not against it. For example I'm 5ft 5, 148lbs and very hourglass shaped, losing weight off my natural waistline and arms and face is pretty easy. Off my boobs, hips and thighs? Not gonna happen! Work with what you've got and make the best of yourself. Your thighs look good to me.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hi, women should not try to emulate men's bodies and we should be proud of having curves. Your thighs look just right to me. Any narrower and you'd start to loose your femininity. Celebrate being a woman! By the way, I did find that by running for 30 minutes twice a week my thighs became more finely sculped in the right places.
    I hope that helps but please keep positive about your body image. You look terrific to all of us readers.

Emulate men's bodies? Narrower thighs and you will lose your femininity??? WOW.....

Maybe you should stop being judgemental, some women love having "curves" that actually resemble muscles, instead of pouchy floppy "feminine curves"...And being strong, and able to carry things, and not doing hours of running and cycling and zumba in orderto look "feminine"......
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Can we not look at body types in a way that sets one group up as better or worse than another? "Loose your femininity", "pouchy floppy", etc. None of these descriptors promote healthy body image.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think your thighs look great! But as other posters have said, some women's lower bodies really resist dropping fat. I am definitely one of those women and have a similar shape. You may be able to make your thighs a bit smaller by dropping more weight, but in my opinion you look great just as you are.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Did you tape (measure) your thighs before and after? You could have just loss proportionally and therefore they appear the same but are actually smaller.

You are already towards the bottom of your healthy weight range. Sounds like you should start focusing more on the type of lifestyle you want to live and start shifting towards a healthy body image. It will take a ton of time and effort to lose a few more pounds and possibly reduce your thighs with where you are in your healthy weight range.

If you enjoy lifting heavy and want your strength back, then lift heavy! It takes a ton of attention to detail for workouts and diet for women to bulk. Doing some heavy squats a few times a week while eating at maintenance will not increase your thigh size.
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »

Emulate men's bodies? Narrower thighs and you will lose your femininity??? WOW.....

Maybe you should stop being judgemental, some women love having "curves" that actually resemble muscles, instead of pouchy floppy "feminine curves"...And being strong, and able to carry things, and not doing hours of running and cycling and zumba in orderto look "feminine"......

You know, I hear what you're saying. Women with narrow/slim thighs are just as feminine as those with curvy thighs, and personally I'd like more muscle and am doing what I can to get it. But sometimes I wonder whether the way we talk or think about thigh fat (specifically) might be misogynist. For some women, it takes a scary low, physiologically dangerously, lose-your-period low body fat percentage to get rid of "pouchy floppy "feminine" curves". Those thighs are "feminine" in the biological sense - i.e. just loaded with A2 receptors. Even women bodybuilders can have a hard time with it. So I think it's good to really think about what we're saying when we talk about those thighs as "pouchy", "floppy", or fluffy, or whatever. I'm prone to it too, but I don't think it's a good thing.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Good grief. Can we not look at body types in a way that sets one group up as better or worse than another? "Loose your femininity", "pouchy floppy", etc. None of these descriptors promote healthy body image.

Agree!
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I carry my weight (160) in my thighs and always have. Even at 118 I carried extra fat in my thighs and I was classified as underweight. You might be in a similar boat as me, although your thighs looks pretty good in your pictures, it's always hard to tell from a picture. I've been lifting heavy and when spring comes I'm taking up Couch to 5K which I did last year and saw a big improvement in my leg shape. I think for people that carry their weight in their thighs it's just extremely hard to lose in that area. I say keep lifting heavy because you want them to be muscle not fat regardless of size. I know when I reach the weight I'm going for I was going to try and do bulks and cuts to try and increase muscle and reduce fat.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, keep Lifting and love your body!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Oh please, it is descriptive words, don't see every little word as an insult! I had an issue with the poster who see females trying to build muscle as "emulating men". Absolutely not true, I don't know a single female bodybuilder who wants to be a man or look like one......

I have a pouchy floppy stomach right now after four months of injury and vacation - and I don't feel offended by the words.....its a description, nothing more!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Oh please, it is descriptive words, don't see every little word as an insult! I had an issue with the poster who see females trying to build muscle as "emulating men". Absolutely not true, I don't know a single female bodybuilder who wants to be a man or look like one......

I have a pouchy floppy stomach right now after four months of injury and vacation - and I don't feel offended by the words.....its a description, nothing more!

Ok, fine, you're not offended.

You can't tell me that "pouchy" and "floppy" aren't words with negative connotations. They're not positive, are they. And since a lot of women will never be able to get rid of some of the "pouchy", "floppy" stuff without damaging their health, describing their bodies that way is not cool.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options

you are fine girl , though I understand insecurities , yours couldn't be further from the truth! U look amazing and I'd suggest keep up with the cardio