Replies

• cherissepatnode182
    cherissepatnode182 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are delicious and feel like dessert! Or carrots & hummus
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Eh, it can be whatever you want that fits your goals. I've had big bacon sandwiches in the middle of the night before (just need that hit of salt + protein sometimes), just depends on if the extra calories are there or can be adjusted reasonably to allow it. My favorite light snack around bedtime is vanilla yogurt, easy to grab, easy to eat and not too heavy. I can't sleep if I'm really hungry, but I can go all day without eating for some reason and it hardly bothers me.
  • Anjy2be
    Anjy2be Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OBXgirl130 wrote: »
    I usually try not to eat anything after 8PM, but if my tummy is hungry.... Don't want to go to bed on an empty stomach! I usually like to do a spoonful of peanut butter or maybe some yogurt. But I would like to know about other acceptable snacks to eat at night.

I have to have a snack closer to bedtime because of medication. So, I'll have yogurt or toast with peanut butter on it. Sometimes I'll have celery, carrots and hummus. You could have a price of fruit too.
  • OBXgirl130
    OBXgirl130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What exactly leads you to believe you are carb sensitive?
    Many of us gain weight in the stomach first and lose it there last.
    [/quote]

Because I gain more in my stomach, I've always been told I was carb sensitive. And I know in the past (and it may have no correlation) when I'm trying to lose weight, if I'm at a stand still and then I cut down on my carbs it seems to help with the bloating and weight gain. However I should clarify that it's really just the breads, pastas, and potatoes (chips) that I'm wary over. Grains and oats for instance I don't worry about.

• OBXgirl130
    Options

[/quote]
    Reducing carbs resulting in less bloating and not having weight gain doesn't mean you are carb sensitive. It's because less carbs equals less water retention as well as less calories. If you're not losing weight it's not because of the carbs. It's because you are not in a deficit.
    [/quote]

Alright. Thanks for your help. I'll try to remember that.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'll do cheese and crackers or a protein shake.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    yasso bars

Yes! I love these!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    However I should clarify that it's really just the breads, pastas, and potatoes (chips) that I'm wary over. Grains and oats for instance I don't worry about.

Potato chips, in particular, are quite high in calories. Look at the nutrition data on a package.

And it's not so much the potatoes that bring the calorie count up, it's all the fat.
  • V2Win1000
    V2Win1000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I guess what I meant by "acceptable" would be low carb since I've always heard that it's not good to take in too many carbs right before bed. However it's nice to hear that it is most likely a misconception. Takes away some of the guilt :# Although I do believe that "carb sensitive" is a thing, and I truly believe I am carb sensitive since much of my weight gain tends to hit my stomach before anything else. So let me change it up.

Some "acceptable" snacks with a light to moderate carbohydrate percentage for a carb sensitive person. And thanks guys for replying!
    Yes that carbs at night stuff is a misconception.

The misconception is when ppl don't understand the specific use their body has for carbs. The rule of eating whatever you want at any hour as long as its in your macros and still in a deficit applies alot better to ppl who are significantly over weight and leads to a plateau. The information you learn early on when you achieve ok results doesn't exactly trump the experience of those who have gone further than you. When i stopped competing i let myself go and got 30lbs over my lean mass weight. I got half of it off just sticking to a defficit.. Only way ive ever shredded to the single digits is by *timing* macros.. Carbs at night don't get people on a magazine cover hun and using the techniques that do only *speed* up the process of reaching your goals even if they aren't on that level. You can be healthy and enjoy minimal gains, but achieving real goals to the end takes the application and commitment to research and attaining knowledge.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the debil
  • OBXgirl130
    Options
    Carbs are the debil

I'm thinking that may or may not be a reference to The Waterboy.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    V2Win1000 wrote: »
    I guess what I meant by "acceptable" would be low carb since I've always heard that it's not good to take in too many carbs right before bed. However it's nice to hear that it is most likely a misconception. Takes away some of the guilt :# Although I do believe that "carb sensitive" is a thing, and I truly believe I am carb sensitive since much of my weight gain tends to hit my stomach before anything else. So let me change it up.

Some "acceptable" snacks with a light to moderate carbohydrate percentage for a carb sensitive person. And thanks guys for replying!

The misconception is when ppl don't understand the specific use their body has for carbs. The rule of eating whatever you want at any hour as long as its in your macros and still in a deficit applies alot better to ppl who are significantly over weight and leads to a plateau. The information you learn early on when you achieve ok results doesn't exactly trump the experience of those who have gone further than you. When i stopped competing i let myself go and got 30lbs over my lean mass weight. I got half of it off just sticking to a defficit.. Only way ive ever shredded to the single digits is by *timing* macros.. Carbs at night don't get people on a magazine cover hun and using the techniques that do only *speed* up the process of reaching your goals even if they aren't on that level. You can be healthy and enjoy minimal gains, but achieving real goals to the end takes the application and commitment to research and attaining knowledge.

No.

Just so much no I can't even facepalm properly.

Op,

Whatever you enjoy within your calorie limits. I had rocky road ice cream last night. Some nights I have popcorn.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Because I gain more in my stomach, I've always been told I was carb sensitive. And I know in the past (and it may have no correlation) when I'm trying to lose weight, if I'm at a stand still and then I cut down on my carbs it seems to help with the bloating and weight gain. However I should clarify that it's really just the breads, pastas, and potatoes (chips) that I'm wary over. Grains and oats for instance I don't worry about.

[/quote]

If you gain weight in your stomach you're probably apple shaped.
    I gain it all around my middle, but have small arms and legs.

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure I can spare a couple hundred calories in the evening in case I am hungry- which I often am as I sometimes eat dinner as early as 5pm. The snack I most look forward to it toast and peanut butter, just one slice, but is filling and salty. Last night I had toast and reduced fat cheddar. That is the first time I have tried reduced fat cheddar and I was delighted that it tasted the same. I had 22gs of cheddar and that was plenty.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    JoRumbles wrote: »
    Last night I had toast and reduced fat cheddar. That is the first time I have tried reduced fat cheddar and I was delighted that it tasted the same. I had 22gs of cheddar and that was plenty.

That's often my after work snack ... one piece of toast and a thin slice of low fat cheddar. We often have a late dinner because we walk or cycle after work, while there's still daylight, so that snack gives me a little bit of energy. :)

• davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Frozen Red Grapes are sooo good. Kinda taste like ice cream.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    G weight whenequote="V2Win1000;31640243"]

The misconception is when ppl don't understand the specific use their body has for carbs. The rule of eating whatever you want at any hour as long as its in your macros and still in a deficit applies alot better to ppl who are significantly over weight and leads to a plateau. The information you learn early on when you achieve ok results doesn't exactly trump the experience of those who have gone further than you. When i stopped competing i let myself go and got 30lbs over my lean mass weight. I got half of it off just sticking to a defficit.. Only way ive ever shredded to the single digits is by *timing* macros.. Carbs at night don't get people on a magazine cover hun and using the techniques that do only *speed* up the process of reaching your goals even if they aren't on that level. You can be healthy and enjoy minimal gains, but achieving real goals to the end takes the application and commitment to research and attaining knowledge. [/quote]

Imma tease this out a little.
    The misconception is when ppl don't understand the specific use their body has for carbs.
    It's used for fuel. And is great for quick energy- good for lifting so you have something to use- and good for endurance athletes- and since it's a macro- you know- it's good for everyone and needed
    The rule of eating whatever you want at any hour as long as its in your macros and still in a deficit applies a lot better to ppl who are significantly over weight and leads to a plateau.
    But- um- <raises hand> never been fat- never been significantly over weight- and I'm still eating all sorts of delicious things in my reasonably lean state- and I'm doing quiet well. Have cut- have bulked- have cut again. Looking great as every.

Being said I'm not competing- so my carb release isn't really excessively relevant- as it is not for most people outside competitors. I mean- I've gotten to a point in my training where I try to make sure I have some sort of carb prep in my system before a lift- but it's not like I was dying off the face of the planet without it.
    Carbs at night don't get people on a magazine cover hun and using the techniques
    nope- that specific technique is called "photoshop"
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    V2Win1000 wrote: »

I can predict how well you'll do around here.