Almonds putting me over my fat allowance, does it matter?

Options
SteveMFP123
SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've started having almonds daily to help with hunger and it has worked but I'm always a little over my daily allowance because of them. I've read they're a healthy fat so should I care that I'm over my macro?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Over your daily calorie allowance, or your daily fat allowance?

Edit: Just re-read your title. Personally I wouldn't care myself, but I don't really track macros.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    over fat allowance..nope doesn't matter unless it's calories.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just the fat allowance. I'm still under on calories and everything else.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not a concern. If its not putting you over on calories, then its not worth a second thought. The macro percentages are loose guidelines and not set in stone.

Now if a significant portion of your daily calories was coming from almonds, you might want to reassess. Not sure what I'd count as significant though! I have had days where 25-30% of my calories come from cheese and I'm perfectly fine with that. The other day Hubby looked at my food log, shook his head, and said "you & your cheese...".
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned. If you want, you can adjust your macros to allow for more fat, if you don't want to "go over" every day. But it won't affect weight loss either way.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You should limit your fat intake to 40g per day if you are dieting. Otherwise, you can go as high as 65g
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Almonds have a decent amount of monounsaturated fats, personally I like them as a healthy source of energy. It's very different to saturated fats or trans fats. Either way, if you're in your calories, it won't affect weight loss.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it either honestly.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I too have added 10 almonds to my breakfast "fuel" up... I think the benefits outweigh (sorry for the pun) the cons on this one... I also add crushed walnuts to my lunch salad 3x/week.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    10 almonds are good for ya
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am with the majority, don't worry about it. They are nutrient rich and have good fats, enjoy!
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No worries, hon. Eat your almonds and enjoy.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Not a worry, I'm usually over my carbs or fat but under calorie and still losing! Good luck to ya!
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've pigged out on roasted almonds every once in awhile and it never made made me gain weight. If anything, it probably helped me from pigging out on snacks that would have an effect. So enjoy!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You should limit your fat intake to 40g per day if you are dieting. Otherwise, you can go as high as 65g

Nope. There is no universal 40g of fat per day rule for dieters or 65g for non-dieters.

I generally go by .4 g per pound of bodyweight as a minimum (so for me that's 60g), though I don't worry about it too much since I rarely come close to not making it.

But really, as long as you are within your calories, your weight loss will happen.

• ketoindy
    ketoindy Posts: 3
    Options
    The extra fat from almonds will mostly just make you less hungry. The only real concern for the fat in almonds I would have would be if your omega-3 to omega-6 ratio is way off (which, to be fair, is pretty common). But, that said, almonds aren't that large of a source of omega-6 compared to other foods. Otherwise, if your calories are fine for the diet plan you want, the kind of fats in almonds aren't likely to hurt you.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've started having almonds daily to help with hunger and it has worked but I'm always a little over my daily allowance because of them. I've read they're a healthy fat so should I care that I'm over my macro?

Nope, in fact it's probably a good thing.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

This is nonsense. You want more than 40 grams, not less.