Runners Who Never Thought They'd Run

Options
I really need to hear from folks out there who were just like me at one point. I need to hear that it can be done. I'm obese. I need to lose probably about 90 pounds to be considered healthy. But I've always wanted to be a runner. I've tried a few times. A couple of years ago, I even got up to a slow jog for five minutes straight. Then I got off track and gained back a bunch of the weight I lost. I'm starting over now, but I feel so pathetic when I try to run. I've NEVER run a mile in my life. I think I was just barely up to running a quarter mile when I gave up on myself. I need to hear from people who were like me. Please tell me how hard it was and how much better it got. Please share stories and pictures. I really need some hope.

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It can be done. No doubt. I know this first hand.

First, I have been fat most all of my life. Only in good shape when I was 23 and younger, but even then was overwieght. I tried getting into running when I was 18 or 19, but always developed a nasty case of shin splints and would stop. When I was 23 years old I had a knee injury that sidelined me for a long time, and I never got back into good health after that, always assuming I would trash my knee if I tried being too active.

January 2nd, 2014 I had just turned 42, weighed 316 pounds and was determined to be borderline diabetic, put on Metformin to help out and told to eat no more than 120g total carbs per day. I did this and started losing weight at a surprising rate.

On April 3rd, 2014 I had finished a follow-up appointment, weighing 284 pounds (32 lost in 3 months). My numbers were all better on my blood labs. I assumed I would soon hit a plateau on my weight loss and wanted to continue, so I decided to start a regular routine of walking. I walked 2 miles that day.

I continued walking nearly every day, increasing my mileage as soon as I felt the current distance was no longer a challenge. I wanted to feel like I worked out with my walks. I was walking 3 miles each time by the end of that first month, and by the end of May the next month was walking 4 miles and had begun walking EVERY day. By the end of June I was going 6 miles every day, taking about an hour and 50 minutes each time.

I suspected at some point I might not have enough time in the day to keep pushing myself further by walking alone. I began wondering while on my walks what I would do to go higher impact. The thought of running crossed my mind and I laughed, literally laughed at myself for the thought. My knees could never take up running! Especially at this age! So I assumed biking would be my next choice.

So July 9, 2014 rolls around and I go on my 6 mile walk. I was needing to either walk further or move on to my next activity like biking but I was strapped at that time, could not afford a bike. I decided to run for short bursts during my walk.

Looking back at the data for that day, and in the next few runs afterward, I would only run for a minute or so each time, if that. I ran 13 times this way on that walk. I kept doing this on each successive walk. However I did learn from some soreness that I should not do this EVERY day like I had been doing with walking. So I switched to running/walking 3 or 4 times per week.

By the end of July I realized I was regularly walking/running 6 miles all the time so I could complete a 10k with no problem, and live the rest of my life knowing I had actually done a 10k! So I signed up for one. By my final run before the race the longest single run burst I had completed was just under 1 mile.

September 20, 2014 was the date of my 10k. I had never run in a race and was told I should start towards the back and just pace myself with people as long as I could. I did exactly that, keeping up with those around me as we started. I passed mile 1 and kept going. It was at that point a personal record. I reached mile 2 and kept going! By the time I reached mile marker 3 I knew that there was no reason I could not actually run the whole way unless I just collapsed...and that was what I was focused on for the rest of the race. I completed the whole 10k running in 1 hour, 17 minutes and 41 seconds! I was SO TIRED, but SO PROUD! I can not describe the feeling in words.

That day proved a lot to me. I could run further than my mind previously was telling me. I could run so much further than I thought without dying or injuring myself! Granted, I was quite sore that night and the next day. But I recovered.

Knowing I could run 6 miles and being familiar with the concept of 10% increases per week (and also having looked at Hal Higdon running plans), I looked at upcoming races. In my mind I wondered if I could do a half marathon before the end of the year. The latest one in the year that I found in town was scheduled for November 15th, 8 weeks away. I realized I could actually follow such a training plan and reach that mileage in time for that race, so I signed up!

The next few weeks were a little harsh, I admit. I struggled to get further than 6 miles, and in the process learned a lot more about my body, and how to fuel it. One thing I will credit running for, it has taught me more about my physiology than any courses I ever took in school (Granted, I'm an IT guy, not my forte).

I managed to reach 12 miles as my longest distance run prior to the half marathon. I had great confidence I could do it. And I did, finishing in 3 hours and 9 seconds.

Those last few weeks ahead of that half marathon I looked back at the changes I went through over that one year alone, from January to then in November. It may sound strange, but I am not so much proud as I am humbled by it. I can do this, I know it now. I am pushing myself further still. I keep doing it because I still can. I don't know why I never did this before, especially some 20 years ago when all of this would have been easier. But I can do it, and I plan to never look back. If I step back, I can always look ahead again.

It is possible. I encourage you to just do it. Not trying to sound corny. Just start with what you can do, and just keep going.

Sorry for such a long post.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I LOATH running. I'm short, I have stubby legs and I know people who can walk faster then I can run! But I had a friend talk me into doing a 5K this spring. I got the C25K app.... Something that I had started a number of times in the past but never got past week 1. The first day it took me almost 22min to go a mile and I was dying. Im super proud to say that today I just finished week 7 day 2 and not only was I able to finish a mile in 14.30(not fast but my best time yet!!!) I was able to run 2.5 miles without stopping!! That is HUGE for me! Some one told me don't worry about how fast you are going.... Just as long as you ARE going!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I never liked running up until a few years ago. I found I can't go running just for the sake of running. I will quit after a couple minutes. I need to be working to improve something. For example, 6 laps at my gym equals a mile (roughly). About once a month I would try to beat my previous month's time. Or there's one "run" that works out to 10 laps and 10 sets of stairs - again, I try to beat my previous time.

I need a goal for running. Maybe you do too? Running a distance faster than you did before, or running further in a set amount of time, something like that. I also love doing 5k "fun runs" and I did my first 10k last summer - it was trail running so it was way more fun than road running (in my opinion).

ETA: there's nothing to say you HAVE to run. If you don't like, you don't like it and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Grimmeanor, please don't apologize. That's EXACTLY what I needed to hear! Thanks so much!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I was a non-runner. I tried running often in the past but always failed. I just couldn't do it.
    Then I decided to give it one more try. I downloaded the C25K app and followed it through the 9 weeks of training. I am now a runner and have been for just over 2 years.
    I still can't go fast (12:00 mile) and I don't go far (5-6K) but I run it and I enjoy the experience. It's more than I could have hoped for all those years ago.
    The difference between then and now? The program; it gave me structure and a goal. My speed; I was running too fast too soon in my earlier years & my body couldn't adjust.
    Take is slow and stick to a program. You, too, can be a runner. You can do this. Weight isn't an issue in running; determination is.
  • aeking22
    aeking22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started here http://www.ih8exercise.com/goals/runwalk-1-mile/ with 140 lbs. to lose and now I'm training for a 10K
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    As a young person I hated anything physical and as a result became an overweight couch potato until about 4 years ago. At first I just dieted and walked more but when that only went so far I joined a local gym and began to workout. I saw a lot of runners at the gym so I decided to try it and at first couldn't even run to the corner (I'm the second house from the corner), but I kept after it and finally could run to the corner, and then a little around the corner, and then a little further and a little further until I could run for a half mile and then a mile and then 2 miles, and then 3. I have since run The Broad Street Run in Philly this past year (10 miles) and a 5K on New Years Day this year. I have added strength training and some cycling and now that the weather is better will be back to running again hoping to be able to complete a half by the end of the year. It's been said that endurance athletes are some of the leanest people and so that's where I am ultimately headed and you can do the same but it has to be in slow and easy steps. I also did Bikram Yoga for about 10 months to rehab and ankle injury but I would recommend that to anyone as well both for endurance and weight loss as well as flexibility.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In my youth I hated running unless it was chasing a ball or evading the police, when I was in the Army running was used a punishment......you can see where I'm going.

Fast forward to my early 50s, my out-of-shape verging on obese early 50s and I decided that starting to play recreational soccer would be fun. Needless to say after a very few minutes on the pitch I was practically puking and decided I had to "get in shape" (it was a pretty abstract idea) so I started running or, more accurately slowly shuffling for about 1 minute at a time with generous walking intervals. Over time 1 minute of running became 2 and then 3 and so on. My progress was very slow as I wanted to stay injury free but i got to the point in the fall of 2009 where I was ready to run my first 5K (more to prove to myself i could do it).

The strangest thing happened, I started enjoying my runs and developed a sense of accomplishment that I was getting fitter and faster and losing weight (watching what I eat may have had something to do with that). I have now run a number of half-marathons and varying distance duathlons and running has become a big part of my life.

Not that many years ago running 5 miles without stopping seemed impossible, then difficult and now it's a mid-week training run.

One of the keys is to be consistent, get out on a regular schedule; another is to not try to progress too quickly or run too fast.

Keep in mind, however, that running is only one of many paths to fitness and improved health. If you really want to run you will do it, if you're doing it because you think you should keep your mind open to other activities........whatever you do and are going to stick with has to be enjoyable.

Good luck & have fun!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, you are me a year ago. As the weight came off it got easier to move around. I moved more and as it got easier (and boring) I stepped it up. It finally got to the point where walking was boring. I took an eight week Learn to Run class from the local Running Room and haven't looked back.

There is a point where the cardio is energizing and I miss it if I don't do it. I've got to that point. I would not have believed myself if I'd said I would get this far.

I was so unused to running I had to tell myself to lean forward a bit (one running author described running as a controlled fall) for my first tentative steps. Running Room says you are ready if you can sustain a run (say, on a treadmill) for a minute. That's where I started.

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/02/before-and-after.html
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I used the couch to 5k plan
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    since I have a hard time running to begin with I had to sometimes do the same week 2 x
    I would say it took a good 5-6 weeks to get my legs and wind conditioned to go any good distance, once I conquered the barrier , it seemed like a downhill run. I was adding minutes to my runs without any pain or wind issues , don't feel like you failed if you have to repeat the day which is measured in walk time/run time . you will make progress and you can do this. I have started over again after not running for 2 years , I see progress every day ,I haven't conquered the barrier yet but I know in a few weeks I will, and so can you. good luck and stay positive and persistent.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    <snip>

For the record, this story is friggin awesome...
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am not a runner, and I don't like it, but I did it. I went from huffing and puffing, and barely making it through the week 1 of C25K to then running two 5ks two weeks in a row. I took longer than the plan says and redid a couple of the last weeks (stretched them out to about 4 weeks), but I got through and lost 20 lbs in the process just by running 2x-3x a week and eating around maintenance. It got boring for me and I think 5k is the longest I want to run, but I tell you, from being a life long fatty to crossing that first finish line... it was a POWERFUL experience. You can absolutely do it. Take it easy, go at your own pace. You got this.
  • MrsElguapo
    MrsElguapo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I know you can.

I had about 50lbs to lose and have lost 40 so far since I started learning to run. I was never a runner. Ever. I wanted to run but I just couldn't. I decided I was going to do it for a few reasons. It is cheap-no gym membership required. It is convenient-it can be done pretty much anywhere. Although shoes can be expensive. :) When I started I seriously was not able to run half way down the block. I physically could not do it. So, I stuck with that. I would run half a block and then walk a block or two and then run half a block, etc. I slowly increased the running portion. Keep in mind, you don't have to be running for the whole work out to be considered a runner. I take walking breaks and I know many runners that do. In fact, Jeff Galloway recommends them. Another thing that worked for me is to do interval running with time vs distance. For example running for 1 minute then walking for 2 minutes, etc, and working your way up from there. Listening to music is also key for me.

I ran my first 5K last fall and am registered for more. I run several times per week for 3-4 miles each time with a few walking breaks in there.

You can do this!! We will support you!
  • MrsElguapo
    MrsElguapo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    And, it is amazing what a weight loss of even 5 lbs makes for running. Once I hit the 5lb mark it actually was physically easier to run and has been ever since.
  • iinlane
    iinlane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm running 10km once a week for years now and it is still hard. Best tip I can give to you - find somebody to run with and agree on regular schedule.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »

I'm sitting here fighting back tears in my dang cubicle. I love this!
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A terrific read on learning to run, written by a non-runner:

http://www.amazon.ca/Running-Like-Girl-Notes-Learning/dp/1451697155
  • Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid in school and we had to run a mile or just run around the track, I hated it with a passion. I couldn't even run a mile, I had to walk the majority of it. I dreaded running!!
    Now, after lots of hard work and weight loss, I consider myself a runner :-)
    You can do it!! Everybody starts somewhere.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The tape that played in my head for years was 'Big guys can't run' or 'Big guys don't run'. (I'm 6'5", currently 276). In the summer of 2014, I started walking and used my FitBit to help keep my on track and such. 30 mins a day on my lunch hour. I began going further. Finding new routes. Walking my usual routes faster. Then I decided I'd go out in the early morning, away from everyone, and try to run. It wasn't easy. Could barely get a quarter mile without hurting and being out of breath. Shin splints from bad form and going too fast too soon. So lots of trial and error, and lots of great threads here on MFP Forums helped me learn about what I was doing wrong (too big a stride, too fast). So I took that advice and I kept at it, experimenting with what works and what needs to be improved. After a few months of work, I'm running a 5K easily, and I'm training to run an 8K in June of this year. My longest run to date is four miles and it's an amazing feeling! The single biggest piece of advice that I followed was to go to a running store and get fitted for shoes that work for my gait. It's really made an immediate and noticeable difference.

I've got a long way to go to reach my goal weight, and I plan on running the whole way there!