Runners Who Never Thought They'd Run

Options

Replies

• kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I first started, I couldn't do 5.5mph on a treadmill for more then 5 mins at a time. I got a horrible metallic taste and i felt as though i'd been shot.
    It's just about pushing through that discomfort, I started cross training with gusto, I built up to 30 mins at a fast pace (can't remember off the top of my head it was 2years ago now!) and then did small running intervals.
    My first real run came with five colleagues who were all casual racers and runners in their spare time, I was the newbie, the chubby and the useless but I joined in with them on a woodland hill interval session and managed to complete a few intervals, they were far superior and I really struggled but after that I realised that I could do it, that I wanted to make it look as easy as them so I just kept trying!
    Now I can run 10k pretty easily, haven't pushed further than that yet! Do 5k 3 times a week, with a speed time of 25mins and a leisurely pace of 27mins
    You can get through this, if it makes you feel exhausted, it's meant to!
    When you can casually run to places if you're slightly late, cross the road like a ninja or just enjoy it a little bit.. it changes your life!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I was huge, I started doing DDP Yoga, which built my cardio up, when I hit 240 lbs, I laced my sneakers up and thought "I'll try running today." I ran 4 miles in 48 minutes, and I could have probably gone longer but I didn't really plan a route I just went out and had no idea how far I'd actually gone on foot until I hit up the walkjogrun website to map it out.

It can be done.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You can do this if you want to. I realized that a year after baby #2 at age 35 that I weighed 223 lbs and was 5'3" I got winded just going up the steps and was into a size 18. I've never been thin, but I never disliked the way I looked until then.

I started using MFP in March 2014 and in July I decided my measly 1200 calories were not enough so I should exercise so I could eat more. I started walking first. After a couple of weeks I decided I'd burn more running. I started the C25K app and almost died on day 1.

It was completely demoralizing to know I couldn't run for 30 seconds. However, some of the members on here told me I was trying to go too fast and to slow down to a slow jog. The important thing was to just complete the day. I did have some muscle issues and minor injuries. THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO AS A BEGINNING RUNNER IS INVEST IN A GREAT PAIR OF SHOES!

Sorry for the caps, but I can't stress enough that you really should go to a running store and have them fit you out. I was getting hurt by wearing shoes that didn't fit correctly and I never knew it.

I've been running now for about 6 months. I can run a 5k. I even did a run a couple of weeks ago that was 6 miles. Now, I'm not fast. I run a 12 minute mile so I won't be winning any races. However, I never thought that a level 2 obese exsmoker could like running. I run several times a week now and am working up to a half marathon next. I'm still 190lbs so don't let anyone tell you that fat chicks can't run.

I'm hopeful that running will help me lose the 47lbs I need to reach a healthy weight.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I met a girl who sad that she could run 10 km in 50 minutes, I was so amazed that I started running. At first I coud run only 1 km and walked 4 km, later I could run 2 km. Even later I used a counting method in which I ran for 100 seconds and walked for 5 minutes. Now I just very rarely switch to walking but I still can't run very fast. I did today 5.15 km in 37 minutes. I would advise buying a pulse-checking watch. (what's the proper name?) I am training for a 7 km race in which they give medals to people who could make to the goal line in the given amount of time, in my case 7 km in 52 minutes.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, I was a long-stick (giggle) defenseman in lacrosse and a lineman in football, not to mention an awful, high-fouling basketball player for some *kitten* city league team. I never thought I'd run... until I tore my ACL playing lacrosse. No more sports that require you to quickly change direction. Wound up running cross country that year! I didn't do so great, but I always finished races.

Gained close to 100 lbs. in college and didn't move my big *kitten* ever.

Flash forward to now, I'm training for one *kitten* of a half marathon and planning a six-mile, hour-long run for after work today.

You can do it. Take it slow. Be dedicated and always, ALWAYS enjoy what you're doing. Enjoy the fact that you're using your body in ways you haven't been able to for a while.

Good luck, but you won't need it; you got this.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Before this moment, none of the people pictured were runners.

bear-runner.jpg
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    http://www.hap.org/health/programs/healthieru/docs/calendar_C25K.pdf
    this is the pdf version if anyone is interested in the couch to 5k program
  • MrPapiSir
    MrPapiSir Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Maybe even a treadmill. Zero incline. Comfortable speed Comfortable gait (don't take too big of steps, nor too short of steps). Use good posture. Hold in your stomach. 15-20 min every other day for the first two weeks. Increase after two weeks at a comfortable pace until you are at 30 min/day, everyday. Do that for two more weeks. Then go outside. Walk for 30 min everyday. When walking feels easy, you're not out of breath, try running for one minute, walking for 10. When comfortable, go run for 1 min, walk for 5 min. All workouts are 30 min. Then try 2 min. run, 3 min. walk. When you get to 9 min of run and 1 min of walk, you're ready (and a whole light lighter) to run for 30 min straight.

Get some professionally fitted running shoes. Don't stretch cold. Maybe walk for a few minutes then stretch. Stretch again at the end of your workout.

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I developed arthritis in both of my hips when I was 14 and spent a great deal of time on crutches. When I was 24 I had my right hip replaced and when I was 44 I had to get it re-done and had my left one replaced a few weeks after that. I had been told by everyone for decades I would never run, which only made me want it even more. When I was 53, I read "Born to Run" and said screw it and just started running... slow, ugly and painful. After a few weeks I switched entirely to minimalist shoes and that is what made the difference for me.

On May 1 of this year I will have been running for 4 years... I ran 1,800 miles last year, ran a couple of ultras and a couple of weeks ago crossed the 5,000 mile mark. Because I never thought I would run, I love every single one of my runs. Even (and maybe especially) the ugly painful ones. I love the fact that I have the opportunity (gift, maybe?) to suffer through s long brutal run... Don't give up hope...every step of every run IS your hope...

I posted this a few months ago on why I love to run...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1439225/why-i-love-to-run/p1
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Running is mostly mental. One day I just started running at a comfortable pace and was able to do thirty straight minutes...just like that. I didn't have to build up the endurance or anything. I was running 5 mph which is really just a jog. That is my comfortable pace, but I will up the speed because my body wants to go faster.

Again, it's mostly mental. The first 5 minutes or so are the hardest, and then your body goes on autopilot. And music helps a lot. Sometimes I will put on songs that will give me an energy boost and I'd add more time to my run. Forget your mind telling you to quit...don't give up unless your body gives out.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Me. I was never a runner. Didn't interest me one bit. I even tried C25K three or four years ago and quit after a couple of weeks each time. I suffered from terrible shin splints and my feet hurt like hell. In June, 2012, I tore my right calf very badly while playing softball. I had no desire to ever run again and was frankly fearful of re-injuring myself as the calf never healed properly.

To top all that off, I've don't have what I'd consider a "runner's body." I know this is largely a myth; humans are made to be runners. But I have short, heavy, muscular legs that are much more in the "power" realm than the "running" realm.

Fast forward to April, 2013. My wife and I decide to take our first vacation without the kids in nearly 8 years. We decide we're going to run the Disney Tower of Terror Ten-Miler in October, 2013 (it's no longer offered). We made this decision on the recommendation of a friend. Running was new for both of us. We started training. We also invested in quality running shoes and insoles. I also got compression sleeves for my calves. We ran a couple of 5Ks leading up to the 10 mile run. Did the 10 mile run and I felt like I accomplished something. The desire in me was strong to do more, so I bought a bib from someone who was injured and ran a half marathon two weeks later. So I went from having never been a runner to running a half marathon in roughly six months. That November and December I even did a "holiday streak" where I ran at least one mile every day from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day.

In 2014 I had hoped to keep on running and wanted to do at least two half marathons. Life got in the way of training and I didn't run as much as I wanted. I did do two quarter marathons, a 10K, and a handful of 5Ks.

Now that 2015 is here, I am turning 40. I have two goals... Run at least 40 miles in events and run at least 400 miles overall. I ran a half marathon two and a half weeks ago. It was my wife's first, so it was great to do. I didn't beat my time from 2013, but I was only 5 minutes off, which wasn't bad given I didn't train enough (8 miles was my longest run leading in to it).

I just registered for my second half marathon, which is the first weekend in May. I am planning to do another in October. My goal is to better my time each race.

Here's some advice: DO NOT compare yourself to anyone else. Unless you're an Olympic class runner there will always be someone faster than you. The ONLY person I race against is myself. Also, DO NOT feel like you have to run 100% of the time. I have always done a run/walk interval for any run that's 3 miles or longer. The interval changes. Right now I run for 9:00 and walk for 1:30. I'm not fast...I average about an 11:30 mile with the interval that I do. My fast single mile is about 9:50.

Some people would say that because of that I really didn't "run" a half marathon two weeks ago. I say f*** them. I only race against myself and that's what I compare myself to. If I quit just because other people are faster, then I would never have made it past day one.

Get good shoes, inserts if you need them, train and push yourself. You'll find it gratifying. I still say that I hate running. It sucks, it's hard, and it's boring at times. But I wouldn't trade the feeling I get afterwards for anything else.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do it!

I started jogging in late 2012. It was hard. I weighed about 215 lbs (pics are in my profile), and I could jog for exactly one block before I’d get winded and have to walk. I just kept adding a block here and there as the jogging became easier. And although it took me an entire year, I could eventually run a mile without stopping to walk. Although my progress was very slow, I was so happy that I could finally run a mile! In high school, we were forced to run a mile every spring, and I could never do it. I had to walk that mile every year, and it always took me 20+ minutes, and everyone in my class was done and waiting for me to get off the track. I hated running (and exercise) with a passion for a very long time because of those experiences.

I jog about twice a month, and I can go about 3 or 4 miles without stopping to walk. It’s very addictive and pretty easy now (and I always jog with a crazy-big grin on my face, knowing how far I've come).
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am so glad there are other people out there that feel like I do. I've always wanted to be a runner. I've started the C25k program and it has helped, A LOT! I am giving myself a full year to train for a half marathon. That's my biggest goal right now...run that half marathon! If you really want something...don't let anything stop you. Take it slow, not everyday is going to be the best...I am so glad you posted this and I read everyone's responses...I'm truly inspired and I can't wait to get up in the morning and do it all again! :)
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There is nothing more courageous, in my opinion, than someone in your position getting out there and doing it - earning it. I know because I did it too. Similar story as to those above...been overweight my entire life, not very athletic, experiencing health problems, and had recently been diagnosed with what was thought to be type 2 diabetes. I started losing some weight in 2008, but in 2010 decided that I really wanted to run a half marathon. I was NOT a runner. All I wanted was to lose some more weight and accomplish this goal. I promised myself, that if I hated running, I would never run another step in my life once I crossed the finish line of that half marathon. I started couch to 5k in January and ran my first 5K in March. I could not believe how long that race felt. It was hard, but I did it. I started adding to my distance and completed a 10K in June of that same year. Moving past 6 miles and working towards 7, 8, and 9 I really didn't think I was going to make it. How was I going to make 13.1 miles if 8 miles was so hard? Often I had to tell myself that I wasn't going to die. I ran the half marathon in October, and even the morning of the race I did not know if I would continue to run or not, but once I crossed that finish line I just couldn't give it up. The idea of being done made me sad. Since then, I have been correctly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I am now on an insulin pump - but not even that has stopped me. I have multiple race medals hanging on my wall - including one for a full marathon I ran last April. (My profile pic is from that race) With every race I learn something new about myself; with the marathon I learned I am not a marathon runner, I'm just a girl who ran a marathon. I'm not a born runner - I'm not fast, it isn't always easy, and it takes a lot of effort and dedication. Every moment has been worth it and the accomplishment has been so very rewarding. Looking back, I think it took every part of a year for me to truly and completely fall in love with running. Now, it is part of who I am. It helps me stay healthy, it helps me manage my diabetes, it helps me see what I am capable of, and even deeper than that it defines me. Somehow, someone who was NOT a runner can become a runner. A lot of people who think they want to run give up on it too soon. It takes time, work, practice, and effort. You have to earn it - but you most definitely can do it! It's an amazing journey and I wish you success!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life and never did any sports. I now run daily (on a 70 day streak now). My longest run is 13.1 miles. I also picked up biking and I'm currently training for a 2 day 180 mile ride.

Yes, it can be done.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I never, ever thought I would be a runner. If you would have told me even 2 years ago that I would be training for a half marathon I would have laughed my butt off. When I think back, I think the last time I had actually ran was probably 7th grade PE class where we had to run a mile to pass the class. I was a fat, miserable teenager and saw running as a punishment for being overweight, a non-athlete. Saw it that way until I was damn near 35 years old. It was only something beautiful, thin, fit people did.

I started out like many of the folks here, fat, uncomfortable, unhealthy and so very out of shape. Late summer 2013 I decided to change all of that. Running was a huge part of the equation. For some reason, even though I had loathed running as a kid, it always seemed like the epitome of fitness to me, I wanted to do it, wanted to love it. So, I decided I would. I started with C25K and failed miserably at it. I really really hated that program, I just don't stick with other peoples plans very well. I petered out after about 4 weeks. But, I didn't stop trying to run. I just did what I could. It took from October 2013 until January 2014 before I could actually run a whole mile. It took another 2 months until I could go 5K. I'm exactly one year out from that mark and just registered for a half marathon.

Running is one of the best things I've ever done for my body and mind. I'm not fast, I'm not particularly graceful, and let me tell you, I was very embarrassed when I started (omg...what will others think of a fat girl running!!!). Some days it hurts, some days it really really sucks and I wonder why on earth I do that to myself. But more often than not, I end a run feeling happier, freer, and more alive and satisfied than when I started it.

So yea, you can run.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would add this to my first post...It's important to find someone to run with and can encourage you. One reason I don't like to run is doing it alone. It's hard to spend two hours on a treadmill or a path alone.

After my half marathon, my wife gave me one of those 13.1 stickers for my car. I had told myself I would never buy one, but she gave it to me and she was proud of what I'd done. When she ran her half two weeks ago, I did the same for her. You can see the pic of us in my profile.

Sitting here right now, I would say a full marathon isn't in my future. But the reality is I love to push myself. I would bet that I'll do it in 2016.

YOU can do the same!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Stenobun wrote: »
    I really need to hear from folks out there who were just like me at one point. I need to hear that it can be done.

Similar to Brian Sharpe, in the military running was a form of penalty or remedial training. Something I didn't enjoy.

I've also had broken ankles, and reconstruction surgery on both knees, and broken shoulders.

About two years ago I decided I needed to lose weight, and given lifestyle at the time the only exercise I could reliably get was running. Lots of work travel, meant it was something I saw as a bit of a chore. Given the leg injuries I had no intention of doing much more than 5K three or four times per week.

I'm currently half way through a marathon plan with two HMs and two marathons planned for later in the year.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I went my first 39 years without ever running a mile, and before losing the weight, never imagined I would.

I was 490lbs at 6'6" when I started losing weight, and I ran my first mile when I was down to about 350lbs a year later. I have continued running and regularly do 15-20 miles a week. I even did a half marathon at the end of 2013.

I've come to really enjoy running, and like the time I spend putting miles down. I also like the challenge of pushing myself to go faster and farther.

I agree with finding people to run with, it really does help motivate you and them as well. I've got a couple folks at work that I run with during lunch time and that has been great.
  • tarheelchic
    tarheelchic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    you can do this, I started with walking at first just a block or two at a time. As the weight came off and I built up to walking a mile a day then slowly up to 2miles etc..... you do what you can. Some days I had to walk/run walk/run, everyday was different. But I promis you if you do not give up you will be a runner. It took be almost 6months to get to where I could jog (slow jog) 1mile. Add a little bit at a time, before I knew it it was a year later and I was jogging 6 miles a day. It was a release for me, "MY TIME" something I enjoyed and could go where and as fast as I wanted. I fell in love with Jogging! A little bit of advise as I started having issue after about 2months with shin splits and my knees and feet hurting. Google proper running form (who would of thought that there is a proper way to run) and make sure you invest in good running shoes, support is very important. I went to a running store were they have you run on a treadmil and record your stride, then they will fit you with the best running shoe. (well worth the money)
    never give up!