Attn Tall Women: New Clothing

Options

Replies

• J_Bandelow
    J_Bandelow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Find a good tailor. If you're buying quality slacks it's a lot less expensive to have them taken in and keep wearing them than to buy new all the time. Plus, you'll get a custom fit. Keep up the good work!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia and I find myself buying from Gap or Banana Republic online because there isn't much available here by way of tall jeans. I'm almost 6'2" and their extra tall bootleg ones are the perfect length to wear with a pair of small heels/will scuff a tiny bit at the back if you're in bare feet.

They're around AUD$70 per pair which is expensive when you're not going to wear them for long, but I figure that at least I'll feel good about looking nice if my pants fit, which helps motivate me. Other solutions include wearing dresses with leggings, or 3/4 length pants!

Online shopping is also less disheartening than trying them on in store because that moment when you're not sure if they will be long enough is significantly delayed... and if you've measured yourself correctly and are using the size chart, they should fit just fine anyway :smile:
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    J_Bandelow wrote: »
    Find a good tailor. If you're buying quality slacks it's a lot less expensive to have them taken in and keep wearing them than to buy new all the time. Plus, you'll get a custom fit. Keep up the good work!

+1
  • bettina274
    bettina274 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and usually get my pants at Express, they have long length and sometimes even the regular length is long enough. Little pricey but if you watch out for sales and coupons you can get pretty good deals there. Great quality too.
  • kitschykate
    kitschykate Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What about a tailor? Take your 14L's in a bit :)
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Stores that have failed me:
    JC Penney
    Sears
    Dillards (and i mean EVERY brand they have)
    Old Navy
    Macy's
    NY&Co
    Banana Republic
    White House Black Market
    Kohl's

I am sure that I am forgetting some. I think yhe problem is that I, as my mother so eloquently described, "have mile long legs and a stubby little body". :wink: i will try the stores/websites you all have suggested. Especially, those commenters who surpass 6ft :smiley: thanks!
  • las07s
    Options
    Honestly, I gave up. Unless it's a pair of jeans, until I'm at or close to my gw, I wear dresses. I'm 6'1 and short bodied / long legged and need a 36"+ inseam

Yes! My mother is 5'6" and when we are sitting, she is the same height as me! My legs are the only reason I am tall at all.
  • las07s
    Options
    J_Bandelow wrote: »

Very good advice!
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ebay, search by inseam.
  • rachael_nelli
    rachael_nelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Long Tall Sally. Very Stylish. I just got their catalog in the mail today and I'm in Colorado. I know they have one physical store in The Mall of America, but I've heard great things about them from my friends who've ordered online/mail order too. Good luck :)
  • inspirezme
    inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Even though I am only 5'8, I have the same trouble (v. long legs/short waisted). I have found that 90% of the time, I have to order pants. VERY RARELY can I just walk into a store and find something long enough in stock. I've lost count of the number of items I've had hems let out in (pants/coat sleeves/etc.) One of my most reliable sources lately has been Gap.com. They almost always have a discount promotion running and they not only have Talls, but often X-Longs which are even longer. The quality is pretty good too, especially for the price. Sometimes you can find their work pants in Talls in the stores. GOOD LUCK!
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    for jeans I've been loving buckle lately... I don't like ANYTHING else in the store but their jeans are fantastic and carry up to 37" inseam- they will also hem for free!! Just something to think about when you're at your goal weight... go online if they don't have a store near you.

I'm also all legs and Old Navy and NY&Co Just don't do it for me (also the quality isn't that great).
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Gap and BR Long, which is only ever offered online. I have super long arms, too, and the Gap Long shirts actually go to my wrists. Also, dresses.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My wife really likes Uniqlo for long jeans, I think they have slacks too.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If you have a consignment store near you can tell them what you are specifically looking for and they will often call you when something comes in. Especially if they know you will be bringing in some others to sell. NICE JOB ON THE LOSS!
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree - Long Tall Sally! I love their clothes, they are always long enough or even too long! (right?! when have we 5'11" women had pants that were TOO long?!?!)

I order online and shop in store. Fabulous clothes, good quality and I have never had an issue with their service. I believe they ship internationally as well.

Long Tall Sally. Very Stylish. I just got their catalog in the mail today and I'm in Colorado. I know they have one physical store in The Mall of America, but I've heard great things about them from my friends who've ordered online/mail order too. Good luck :)
  • maryjboom
    maryjboom Posts: 137 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eddie Bauer has nice pants and jeans in tall. At 5'10" I find some are almost too long. You can get them at really good prices at the Outlet or on clearance.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    I'm 5'10 with a 35 inch inseam. I found nicer clothes at Chadwicks of Boston. I found a beautiful pantsuit for an event that thrilled me with the fit. Dress pants are near impossible for long legged ladies.

I buy long length jeans from Wrangler of all places. They don't have to look western but there is a trend right now in western wear to "stack" jeans above the boots, so the inseams of western brands of jeans are running longer. I have a pair with a 38" inseam! I also like Cruel Girl but they tend to have lower rises.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    P.S. As a seamstress, a dress pant usually has a three quarter inch to inch double folded hem. It's possible to let down the pants just a little bit if they aren't quite there. If you instruct anyone doing the alterations to use a facing as a bottom hem, you can let down the pants and still have a hem wide enough not to roll up. I've faced with just plain cotton broadcloth and used a blind hem.

The problem you run into sometimes is polyester or poly blend fabrics holding onto the old crease line. Unless you get into unpicking and rehemming, you don't really know if you can iron it away. By then, you can't return the pants.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you're not opposed to it, Goodwill or a second hand clothing store can help you "get by" with an inexpensive pair of pants. Otherwise, I would try Old Navy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!