Replies

• MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    American Eagle, Old Navy, Alloy, NY & Co, Gap
  • MelWick524
    Options
    Oops, I didn't read the stores that failed you first...American Eagle sells extra long online...which I'm guessing are like 37" inseam. Alloy goes up to 37" inseam as well
  • MelWick524
    Options
    Also...if you're looking to go SUPER cheap, I got some long jeans at Rue 21 not that long ago.
  • MelWick524
    Options
    Sorry for the million comments; things just keep popping into my head! Wal Mart was selling LEI's and Levi's and some others like Faded Glory or No Boundaries or something in long/tall.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    Stores that have failed me:
    JC Penney
    Sears
    Dillards (and i mean EVERY brand they have)
    Old Navy
    Macy's
    NY&Co
    Banana Republic
    White House Black Market
    Kohl's

I am sure that I am forgetting some. I think yhe problem is that I, as my mother so eloquently described, "have mile long legs and a stubby little body". :wink: i will try the stores/websites you all have suggested. Especially, those commenters who surpass 6ft :smiley: thanks!

Try Old Navy online.
    I'm a 4L and have to buy my pants online since stores don't carry long or short lengths til size 6. And they don't typically carry their "tall" lines in store unless someone returned something - then it's on the clearance rack with a "damaged" tag
  • lilianhill
    lilianhill Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    P.S. As a seamstress, a dress pant usually has a three quarter inch to inch double folded hem. It's possible to let down the pants just a little bit if they aren't quite there. If you instruct anyone doing the alterations to use a facing as a bottom hem, you can let down the pants and still have a hem wide enough not to roll up. I've faced with just plain cotton broadcloth and used a blind hem.

The problem you run into sometimes is polyester or poly blend fabrics holding onto the old crease line. Unless you get into unpicking and rehemming, you don't really know if you can iron it away. By then, you can't return the pants.

You can use vinegar to relax the previous hem that won't let go.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised Gap failed you, although now that I look at the size chart perhaps it's because you chose a different style to me. In the Tall section of the Jeans size chart (scroll right to the bottom when it pops up), Long & Lean, Curvy, Perfect Boot and Sexy Boot all have a 37" inseam, whereas the other styles are below 35.5" long despite being marketed as "Tall". Sooooo annoying!!! The 37" Perfect Boot was long enough on my 6'2" frame with most of my height in my legs, but everyone's different, so measure the inseam of an existing pair of jeans that fit well to be sure. Buuuut I imagine I'm telling someone things they already are well aware of, so sorry about that! Good luck :smile:
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I wear skirts. And I wear Tall "Investments" pants from Dillards. I shop clearance rack only.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wear skirts. And I wear Tall "Investments" pants from Dillards. I shop clearance rack only.

I have found that all talls in Dillard's are at least 2 inches too short... :(
  • las07s
    Options
    I'm surprised Gap failed you, although now that I look at the size chart perhaps it's because you chose a different style to me. In the Tall section of the Jeans size chart (scroll right to the bottom when it pops up), Long & Lean, Curvy, Perfect Boot and Sexy Boot all have a 37" inseam, whereas the other styles are below 35.5" long despite being marketed as "Tall". Sooooo annoying!!! The 37" Perfect Boot was long enough on my 6'2" frame with most of my height in my legs, but everyone's different, so measure the inseam of an existing pair of jeans that fit well to be sure. Buuuut I imagine I'm telling someone things they already are well aware of, so sorry about that! Good luck :smile:

Gap only failed me because i was searching for a slack. I am able to find jeans that are "passable" easy enough :wink:
  • las07s
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    Sorry for the million comments; things just keep popping into my head! Wal Mart was selling LEI's and Levi's and some others like Faded Glory or No Boundaries or something in long/tall.

haha no problem and thanks for the ideas. Jeans are usually available that i deem passable. It tends to be slacks that are too short ... I'm tired of paying $70+ for the same slacks in smaller sizes. Looking for a way to save money. The alterations will work for now. I'll check out these stores when i reach my goal :smiley:
  • las07s
    Options
    Thank you all for coming to my rescue!
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you have not already, be sure to sign up for emails from the Limited. I do not shop there, but I do not accept anything less than 40% off at the stores where I do shop. At most stores, I frequently see sale items at an ADDITIONAL 40/50/60 percent off. I'm sure you can get the $70 pants at half off or more if you keep an eye on the promotions.

I also agree with the comments people had about getting the pants tailored.
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    At one point I bought Banana Republic Pants at an outlet store, 6L, with a cuff at the bottom. I had to take them to a tailor and have her pull down the cuff. I have the same issue with the mile long legs and stubby body. When me and my 5'4" tall mother sit next to each other you wouldn't know I was 5'11". Long arms, long legs, short body and very short waisted. So pants are a nightmare. Luckily, NYCo are still "long enough". I wish they were longer, but I wish for a lot of things!

Yeah, what I'd do is take them to tailor. Get them to take them in, it may be cash to get them fixed, but it won't be as much as a new pair.
  • klatonic2014
    klatonic2014 Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am 5'9 and I usually hit the clearance rack at Eddie Bauers's for khaki's and colored type khaki's. I wear between 10L and 12L. In the past, I have purchased pants from JCP, Old Navy, and Gap. I love Athleta's pants and work out gear for tall women but they are pricey ($80) and Banana Republic for nicer slacks.

In addition to being tall, I have other size issues. Because I tend to have an "athletic" shape or straight lines with not much booty or hips, my long pants tend to be baggy in the hips and booty. I despise that. All my weight goes to my midsection, so my waistband could be tight.
  • Agarland34
    Agarland34 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    Like someone else said, NY&Co has great tall work pants. I bought 4 pairs when they were doing a B1G1 free sale a couple weeks ago and it came out to just over $25 per pair which you really can't beat. Other than that, wear lots of dresses until you're at your goal weight! :)

I totally agree with this post. I love NY &Co. (Not much choice). But you can not go wrong with dresses, and as they start getting bigger, you can pair them with a jacket/blazer to conceal the droopiness or you can take them in or wear a belt with them. Congrats to you!!!
  • mya_bug
    mya_bug Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could try Maurices as well, both my mom and I have had luck finding pants there and she's 5'11 and I'm 5'8. TJMaxx would be another place to check out. If Fashion Bugs is still in business you could check there too. I remember being able to get dress slacks from there but they might have gone out of business.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You can always do Lands End, inseam to 36".
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a tailor. (Because when I was a 6' teenager - back in the 1950's - there were no talls available! I had to sew all my own clothes, including suits and coats.)

Slacks are a tough alteration. I can easily alter pants lengths and the circumference around the waist. I can slim down the sides of the legs - provided that the fit in the crotch & butt is still OK. When the pants are too big in the crotch, they have to be completely taken apart and recut. You need a LOT of extra material for a recut, meaning you can only recut from a much bigger size, not just 1 or 2 sizes up. Usually it's just not possible to alter the crotch/butt area. So whether or not slacks alterations will be possible is going to depend on where you lose your weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!