Where do you grab inexpensive healthy food on the go?

Options
2»

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I have food with me (I'm cheap and on a budget, so fast food/convenience foods are for "special treats" only).

Food items I always have with me (I'm at school 6-8 hours/day, so this covers all food need scenarios, ;) ):

--Kind bars (or the cheaper *almost* as tasty Clif Mojo trail mix bars)--I always keep some in my purse at all times for quick energy/carbs
    --Mixed nuts/almonds and hand fruit (apple/banana/orange, etc.)
    --Small Tupperware of leftovers I don't mind eating cold or a sandwich/wrap
    --Greek yogurt (freeze it overnight, stays good all day, ready to eat by lunch/early afternoon)
    --Water bottle and some Mio (or similar)--I don't like paying for water/beverages too often
  • olunriley
    olunriley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can't avoid fast food, then stick with their staples. The calories seem to almost always jump up on their special run items unless they specifically state low calorie.

Pollo Loco seems to have options though I can't speak to the quality of the ingredients.

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    how about a 6 inch black forest ham from Subway. Even cheaper is a cold cut combo but will have a little bit more calories. Dont get cheese or mayo...
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You can grab a grilled chicken salad at McDonald's or Burger King. You can get a Cantina Bowl at Taco Bell (chicken, steak or black bean). They are inexpensive and quick.
  • mjflajs
    mjflajs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My McDonald's go to is a hamburger, side salad and apple slices. Under $3.
  • blmcl6
    blmcl6 Posts: 2
    Options
    Seconding packing your lunch. It's the cheapest, it gives you more control, and it really does get easier and more automatic the longer you do it.

But also, you could loosen up your definition of healthy a bit. Pizza is fine, burgers are fine. Salads can actually be huge calorie bombs.

Use portion control. (A burger with one patty, not three. One slice of veggie pizza, a 0 calorie drink.) And learn which toppings/ingredients tend to be more caloric so you can limit them when you don't have access to the nutrition menu. (Cheese and bacon, for example. Whipped cream. Milkshakes. Meat toppings on a pizza. Sides.)

If there's a grocery store nearby, they always have sections with stuff for people coming in on their lunch hour, or just after dinner, or while on the road. You can get fruit, yoghurt, sandwiches, etc. You'd have to check it out though to see what fits in your budget. (And keeping in mind that you could definitely purchase a pack of yoghurt cups and ingredients to make your own sandwich, cut your own fruit, for less. You always pay for someone else to do that for you.)

Find the nutrition menus for your usual lunch places online, and start looking for items that fit within your lunch calorie budget, as well as your $$$ budget.

Sometimes, breakfast menus are cheaper. So look those up. You can always buy your lunch on your way into work, from the breakfast menu.

AMEN! someone gets it
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do dont think you are saving calories by getting a veggie burger at burger king instead of a regular one. I made the mistake to great disappointment.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,892 Member
    Options
    Apples, hard boiled eggs, protein bars, protein shakes can all travel for hours safely without refrigeration.

mcdonald's double hamburger add letuce add tomato add lots of red onion (about $2 CAD up here, about 340 calories including the condiments) or add a slice of "cheese" to go up to about 400 cal by ordering a mcdouble (don't forget to add letuce, tomato, and lots of red onions!), and a "glass" of water (which is usually free)

Wendy's chili (a bit salty) anywhere from 180 to 250 cal depending on size and country (and your free glass of water)

Can you tolerate weird stuff? McDonald's side salad 40-50 cal without dressing, "fortified" with a side order of regular meat patty (or two) @ $0.60 each which you cut into the salad.

Mcdonald's breakfast time! Regular items are not bad. i also like to get two round eggs on an unbuttered english muffin, add tomato for a dime or two less than an egg mcmuffin (trading cheese and meat for an extra egg)
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I second Panera for a nice lunch.

As well as the gas station/convenience places like 7-11/WaWa/Quikcheck. I know near me (New Jersey) WaWa and QuikCheck actually put on the label of some sandwiches and other items "under xxx calories" for those interested.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    We have quik trips here and they sell a lot of stuff. They have stuff like yogurt, sandwiches, fruit and cheese trays (individual Size) pieces of fruit, granola/protein/breakfast bars. They also have hot dogs, taqitos, pizza, hot wraps, big pretzels, smoothies...
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Any place you can get a chicken bowl tends to be somewhat reasonable healthwise. El Pollo Loco, Baja Fresh, Rubios, Flamebroiler - typically around the $5 price and depending on the place you can make it more or less healthy depending on the flavors and your individual goals.

I tend to keep bags of almonds and kind bars in my car and work drawer when I need a snack and I'm out and about. Or nut clusters from Fresh and Easy.

If you can do prepared food - Fresh and Easy and Trader Joes both have nutritious pre-packaged meals. Fresh and Easy even has a 'healthy' line.

If you are in a bind, kid's meals are also a good option. Appropriate portion sizes, inexpensive - and sometimes you get a toy!
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I'm at anime/comic conventions all day, I bring beef jerky, nuts, and if I want fiber, some fruit. Not affiliated with the site, but you can get 14 oz bags of jerky from Damn Good Jerky for $23 (not counting the cost of shipping) and they often do holiday sales. Right now everything is 30% off for St. Patty's day. If you're looking for something to hold you over at fast food places, McDonald's has the Premium McWrap with Grilled Chicken & Bacon for 480 calories (and 36 grams of protein), Taco Bell's chicken soft tacos are low calorie at 160 calories each (with 12 grams of protein), Wendy's has their Ultimate Chicken Grill for 370 calories (and 34 grams of protein), so there are definitely options. Greek yogurt is an easy way to get your protein fix, and you can cut up and pre-package your own fruits (blueberries and strawberries offer a good amount of fiber).