Options
13»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Kiku10 wrote: »
    You know what I'm talking about, right? Anyone else craving this stuff? Have you found any substitutes? I miss rice sweets, too. Tell me what you do when the cravings hit!

I eat white rice. Sometimes I have brown rice sometimes but I prefer white rice. Just watch your portion size.

Some people do a cauliflower rice substitute. Do a search for cauliflower rice or faux rice and you can find recipes to try. I'm guessing that would not help with cravings for sweets or for sushi in the slightest but may be okay for other dishes.

I'm having a hard time imagining that anyone who really loves rice would be remotely satisfied with cauliflower rice. I mean, it's not like it tastes bad, but it's not really like rice except in color and appearance.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like cauliflower, just not as rice. Not even close. If I want rice noodles, shiritaki is good.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I've switched to brown rice, and I have that almost every day. I've come to like it more than plain white rice for everything but sushi. It seems more filling than plain white rice, probably because of the fiber, therefore I don't eat quite so much of it.

I have also found that if I eat right after cardio, I'm full faster (because I'm also THIRSTY, so I drink a bunch of water with that meal), so I save my rice meal for right after a workout, and then I get it in moderation, but still feel satisfied by the portion.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    measure it, eat it, log it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're ever getting the sense you'll binge on mochi, send half to me. Love rice! Fitting it into my calories every day is the issue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I had rice fro dinner…I am italian …

why were Asians mentioned in your post OP ..?????

You should really only be eating spaghetti and pizza.

Heh.

I just had a great idea for an ethnic stereotyping diet. Like the blood type diet, but more offensive. I will be rich!

Edit: this is not meant to be critical of the OP at all. It just struck me as funny for some reason.
  • thelittlecharacter
    thelittlecharacter Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your body is just probly lacking in certain vitamins.....probly your b vitamins. Eat chicken or fruit/veggies or a complex grain instead. Don't give into overeating. Keep that up and you'll start feeling sick. Balance it up. Have 1/2 side of meat/ veggies with it and drink water. You could be thirsty.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just had a great idea for an ethnic stereotyping diet. Like the blood type diet, but more offensive. I will be rich!

my experience in China was that the rice was eaten last if you were still hungry or too scared of the good stuff.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Why can't you have the rice?

Viewed in isolation, no food is good or bad. White rice isn't the issue and if you like white rice there's no reason at all why you can't have it (medical stuff aside). If an excess of carbs is an issue in light of your diet viewed as a whole then find other areas to cut back on.

Asian cultures that typically eat a lot of white rice have some of the lowest BMIs going around so I'll suggest again that the white rice alone isn't making anyone overweight
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You know what I'm talking about, right? Anyone else craving this stuff? Have you found any substitutes? I miss rice sweets, too. Tell me what you do when the cravings hit!

Racist.gif
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I live in China, i LOVE white rice... I try to avoid it when i'm losing weight but for me, it's always rice>bread. It's really hard to measure the calories!!
  • Infivemonths
    Options
    Everyone comment is too funny, but white rice for me is a once in a while treat, but honestly I stop eating it for one month and never lost weight so I don't see me citing it completely out of my new lifestyle of eating..
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I eat white rice. Sometimes I have brown rice sometimes but I prefer white rice. Just watch your portion size.

Some people do a cauliflower rice substitute. Do a search for cauliflower rice or faux rice and you can find recipes to try. I'm guessing that would not help with cravings for sweets or for sushi in the slightest but may be okay for other dishes.

I'm having a hard time imagining that anyone who really loves rice would be remotely satisfied with cauliflower rice. I mean, it's not like it tastes bad, but it's not really like rice except in color and appearance.

Maybe so. If someone wants to reduce their rice consumption they might try it though. They might absolutely hate it or they might find it acceptable alternative to rice in some dishes.

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That's interesting. I don't really crave rice. My family eats it everyday but I can go weeks without it if I want. Try to eat other types of carbs and see if that helps. Like sweet potatoes or bananas which have good fiber for digestion and slower absorption.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not Asian, but I eat rice or rice noodles every day. It doesn't compromise my weight at all, because I just make sure it fits in my calories. :)
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yea shirataki noodles/rice help in some instances, but it doesnt taste the same. you could try subbing with steamed beansprouts, broccoli/carrot slaws or cauliflower. i know it's not the same taste or anything but it can take up a good bulk of noodle or rice to replace it. ive recently fallen in love with using broccoli slaw as spaghetti when i make it, or beansprouts along with lots of cabbage in my miso or with stir frys. not the same as rice, like i said, but filling! just portion out your white rice & eat sushi. make it fit somehow into your diet if you dont wanna give it up forever!!