What's your hardest thing to give up?

Options

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Eating as much as I wanted whenever I wanted not giving a second thought to calories or macros... RIP.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. I love craft beer, wine, martinis, bourbon straight-up... and many more. I know IIFYM or goals or whatever, but alcohol does bad stuff in the amounts that I like to consume and typically leads to sloppy eating behavior.
  • angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. I really like having a couple of drinks with my hubbie when he gets home from work.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Feeling guilty when I eat more than I'd planned to. Still working on those negative, pointless, waste-of-energy emotions.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I never gave anything up- just learned to eat it in moderation.
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Beer and sourdough bread... and yes, I DO have to give them up, because I'm gluten intolerant. Funny, I thought it was just normal to have a sore throat all the time until I went low-carb. D:< And I fraekin' love craft beers. But I also love having enough energy to go to the gym and not have to nap in the afternoon anymore. Now that I've been off of it for around a month, I know in an instant if I've been 'glutened'... my throat immediately starts burning, and I'm exhausted the next day. Sigh.

The plus side is, of course, that I'm now energetic, my breathing is improving, and my wallet isn't suffering from buying expensive craft beers and going to the restaurant with my favorite sourdough bread as often. And I have NOT given up bacon. :D
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Being lazy... I love sleeping and lying in bed reading.

Just what I came here to say. Glad I am not alone on that one!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    debm109 wrote: »
    So how do you lose weight if you still eat those things. If I ate ice cream the way I like it I wouldn't have enough calories left for the day.

I'm not eating a gallon of ice cream. I'm eating a portion. I don't believe in cutting things out of my diet....I make sure whatever I eat fits my macros and the "treats" are in moderation.

I workout 5 times a week, work a desk job during the day, and have found relatively steady progress without worrying that I'm completely depriving myself. I've learned self control and that when someone brings a cake into work, I'm not going to cry into my office and freak out that I can't have any. Nor am I going to feel guilty after having a slice.

If I want some cake... I eat some cake and make it work. *shrug* I understand that this method doesn't work for everyone and I also understand that some people feel that they don't have the willpower to only have a small slice/small portion of a something.

• paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    I finally gave up trying eggplant. I really wanted to like it, but damn.. it's so gross to me. I tried growing it- nope. Farmer's Markets- nope. I just don't like it! Which makes me sad, because I love the color, it's super cheap and a lot of the recipes sound so damn good.

Eggplant, you win. I will stop trying to eat you.
    LOL Same! And spaghetti squash! It sounds great in theory but I just can't.

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given anything up. I can't keep certain things in my house, but if I really want something I have it, but I "buy" the calories with an extra workout first. If I really want a plate of fried butterfly shrimp I go swim laps for 45 minutes first. Shrimp is worth that to me, candy, donuts, hard liquor etc really isn't.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    calories in calories out. I haven't given up anything. Why would you. Life is too short to give up things you love.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Mega brunches every weekend.

This. I miss the decadent brunch buffet we used to go to every Sunday. Now we go one Sunday a month & I have to work out for an hour before we go to make up the calories & I've found I can't even eat all the things I want to because I get way too full too fast. I guess that's a good thing, but I miss my mashed potato, shrimp & bacon towers with a couple of french rolls on the side with butter and endless mimosas. *sigh*
  • Selah722
    Selah722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    coffee flavored ice cream
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in giving up the things I love but I do believe in portion control and moderation. But I tell you what, Im having a SUPER HARD time giving up large amounts of ranch dressing. That stuff is so good and my poison in every way.
    Try Bolt House ( Renees? ) Yogurt Ranch Dressing. Low Cal/low fat and all the taste.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I miss alcohol, which is the only thing I've cut out. Not so much for weight loss, but because even one or two drinks in an evening makes my morning run difficult and kills my times.
  • madababanas
    madababanas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What i miss the most is pasta, chips, and french fries.
    Other than that, i havent actually gave anything up. If i want a glass of wine, i will have it, knowing that i can stop after a sip or to. But not with pasta or chips. I could eat a **** load of pasta or chips or fries.
    I should mention that i stopped drinking any sugary drinks years ago, i dont eat or drink anything that has sugar or other preservatives in it and i make my own fruit and veggie juice and only eat chocolate once a month o:)
    Oh and i gave up bread but i dont actually miss it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Making excuses
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Snacking, pizza, burgers..........I miss just doing what I want when I want. Now I schedule out my days, my workouts and my meals so that way I can stay on track.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Fast food. I am 100% in favor of "all things in moderation," but when it comes to fast food, I just . . . fail at the moderation part. At this point it's almost a compulsion to hit a drive thru every single day, and I'm trying hard to stop.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Fast food. I am 100% in favor of "all things in moderation," but when it comes to fast food, I just . . . fail at the moderation part. At this point it's almost a compulsion to hit a drive thru every single day, and I'm trying hard to stop.

This so much. The struggle is real. Lol.

And alcohol. I can't drink in moderation, so I figure its best to just cut it completely for a while.