Women... Running underwear??

Options
So I started running in November, but am now getting to a point where I'm running 2-4 miles 3-4 days a week. And, um... My underwear isn't cutting it. I never even considered when I started that I would have to consider this. So I googled it, and it seems that A.) most running underwear are thongs or "cheeky" and B.) they are expensive! I'll be honest, I've never been much of a thong wearer, and the idea of running with a thong sounds horrifying, but I'm about to lose it with the bunching/falling/not staying in place issues I've been having. I know it's kind of a weird topic, but can anyone help me out? I don't want to drop $10-15 on a pair that I hate because, obviously, once they are mine they are mine lol. Any help appreciated.

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I run in full brief undies - yes they are ugly but nobody is looking at my undies. They're probably laughing at me.
    - I buy the cheapie but cotton ones from kmart
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I refuse to wear underwear when I run because they drive me nuts. I go commando under my running tights and crops, and I buy shorts with the built in briefs. If you think about it, underwear really don't serve much purpose while running anyhow.
  • kayte660
    kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    I refuse to wear underwear when I run because they drive me nuts. I go commando under my running tights and crops, and I buy shorts with the built in briefs. If you think about it, underwear really don't serve much purpose while running anyhow.

But what if I'm 2 miles from home and there is a fluke seam stitching issue and suddenly...

In my mind, that's the purpose underwear serve when I run :)
  • SilentMelody
    SilentMelody Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Have you tried checking out some of the local stores? I found some of the boyshort type ones that are specifically for working out at walmart a while ago and they're actually quite comfortable and inexpensive and I think Target may have some too. I've also seen a few different kinds occasionally at Ross and TJ Maxx. It's my worst nightmare to have a seam accident and be going commando... :o
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Ex officio is the brand I use for obstacle course running. Wicking, quick drying and no chafing. Stays in place perfectly. $10-15 seems about right which is why I only have one pair. Bought them at rei.
  • FemaleWarriorxo
    FemaleWarriorxo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    its either a thong for me or I buy shape-wear :p Heres an ebay link if you wanna check some out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Womens-Clothing-/15724/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=shapewear+panties&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why the aversion to wearing or running in a thong? It pretty much eliminates the bunching and wedgie issue. Most women i know who run or work out wear a thong/g-string or NOTHING at all!

Some workout clothes even come with a liner because they're meant to be worn without underwear.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A thong doesn't eliminate the wedgie issue, it just creates a permawedgie, granted with less fabric. However one of the worst things about thongs is they often create a 'front' wedgie.
    I work out in my regular everyday undies. Victoria secret 'regular' cut (not sure what kinda name they give them but they are just regular shaped underwear. Not cheeky or boy short) with the lace waistband. I do have one pair of these which cause a wedgie for some reason but all the rest do not. No chafing either and I have done 9km runs in them.
    Cheeky underwear and boy shorts are wedgie inducing.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can always 'glue' the seams to your body. Check out dance forums online. They have tons of tips and product recommendations on how to keep things in place.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I wear a thong, working out or not, I've never had any problem with wedgies or bunching or anything else uncomfortable... Apart from the one time I over enthusiastically hoiked my leggings up by the waistband mid run, and got a handful of underwear as well....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its either a thong for me or I buy shape-wear :p Heres an ebay link if you wanna check some out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Womens-Clothing-/15724/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=shapewear+panties&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Just clicked on your link... Why on earth would you run in shape wear?!?!?!??!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am not a thong person as a general rule, but I made the switch for running/working out a few months ago when I swore off cotton forever. They feel weird for about the first five seconds each time I wear them and then I don't even notice. I'll only go commando in padded bike shorts.

I wear these from Under Armour and will vouch for them absolutely:
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Under_Armour_Womens_Pure_Stretch_Thong/descpage-UAWPST1.html

They are laser-cut, so there is nothing to chafe.

UA also makes a brief version, but unfortunately the lack of an edge seam on those means they basically turn into a thong, except with a lot more fabric to bunch up uncomfortably. Alas.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Commando.
    I feel so freeeeeee
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Granny pants :D
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I wear regular cut seamless undies - bikini style but full coverage - they don't budge and while they aren't 100% seamless they aren't THAT noticeable under tight exercise pants.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I run in granny panties too :)

IMO try going without first, thats the cheapest method to try

also if you have been losing weight since starting your running adventures it might just be a factor of needing smaller undies as apposed to a different style
  • kayte660
    kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One of my big problems with underwear in general and thongs specifically is that I have weird shaped hips and ALL underwear rolls halfway down my butt. But thongs especially do this. When I weighed 107lbs in high school I still couldn't get thongs to stay up. I just don't have butt cheeks that really curve out from my back, and that is one of my most cringe inducing issues.

I'll try getting smaller underwear and maybe one pair of workout full coverage ones. I don't really care about panty lines right now. Let's be honest. I'm a fat girl running. Panty lines are the last thing people will be staring at :)
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm another commando runner, and wear shorts & running skirts with built in briefs if it's too warm for my tights. But I run so early in the morning that if I were to pop a seam (which has never happened) there are very very few people out to witness it anyway. Or id call my hubby to come get me.
  • taylorvanhooren
    taylorvanhooren Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    in my opinion, thongs aren't good for you in a health sense. when you exercise, especially run, the thong moves back and forth and it transfers the bacteria from back to front and can cause infection. it can happen in every day wear, but more likely during exercise.
    what I've recently found is that the no-show panties from Victoria's Secret and Pink are super soft, they stay where you put them (without bunching or falling down), they're seamless and don't leave marks on your butt if you wear yoga pants/tight shorts, and they're comfy for fitness and every day wear. they're $9.50 a pair or 5/$29. they also go on sale for 7/$27. Those are the canadian prices, so if you're in the states they may be even cheaper.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Commando or thong--no regular underwear stays in place.