A word of warning about squats.

Options
So I am new here and see all this stuff about squats, new to the whole idea about weights too. So I tried the squats well as far as my creaky knees would let me until it hurt and then found I had some back pain afterwards. So checked it out on the net and found that I have poor core strength. So now I have to work on core strength and flexibility before doing squats. Just thought I would share in case like me you carried away by the squats enthusiasm and end up hurting yourself.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be more like:

Caution, they will make your *kitten* look awesome.

(just kidding, good form is obviously important and core strength stabilizes your back to help prevent injury)
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

(just kidding, good form is obviously important and core strength stabilizes your back to help prevent injury)

LOL, I was a bit miffed when I realised I had to do other stuff before doing squats, I was looking forward to losing a couple of inches off my butt. It's gonna happen just it'll take longer than I thought in the meantime I can work on awesome biceps. :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It is very likely that your squat form was off and you were using too much weight for your experience level. Squatting, with proper form, actually helps improve your core strength.

I suggest going to Youtube and searching for So You Think You Can Squat, a great multi-part video teaching proper form.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    When you say that you started doing squats, what exactly do you mean by that? How much weight were you using? Did you research form first? How many sets/reps did you do?

And when you say that you have pain in your back - is it actual pain or are you sore?
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It is very likely that your squat form was off and you were using too much weight for your experience level. Squatting, with proper form, actually helps improve your core strength.

I suggest going to Youtube and searching for So You Think You Can Squat, a great multi-part video teaching proper form.

I was thinking the same about form. More than likely weren't keeping your back straight and were trying to use it to help you get back up. Always better to do well rounded workouts though, instead of concentrating only in one area. :smile: You'll get there!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

LOL, I was a bit miffed when I realised I had to do other stuff before doing squats, I was looking forward to losing a couple of inches off my butt. It's gonna happen just it'll take longer than I thought in the meantime I can work on awesome biceps. :smile:

Truthfully, you should be able to squat now and it will help build your core strength. What kind of squats were you doing? When I first started strength training (weighing 130 pounds more than I do now, very weak, couldn't hold a plank for 10 seconds) I did squats. They started off as physioball wall squats:

jorge_swiss_ball_squat.jpg[img]Then I progressed to body weight squats. Then I added a plate or dumbbells. Then I moved to the rack, which is where I have stayed :) Anyway, my point is hat you need to progress into heavy weighted squats, but modifications now will help strengthen your core and perfect your form for the heavy stuff later.[/img]
  • Dynamis600
    Options

Thank you for that I will check it out.
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Squatting is one of the best core- strengtheners there is. So the answer is do more, but with good form and an appropriate weight for your strength level.
  • Dynamis600
    Options
    When you say that you started doing squats, what exactly do you mean by that? How much weight were you using? Did you research form first? How many sets/reps did you do?

And when you say that you have pain in your back - is it actual pain or are you sore?

I did research form and made sure I didn't let my knees go past my toes and also concentrated on keeping my back straight. I did 3 sets of 12 with only an 8kg bar as I wanted to start of slow and I figured that with my excess weight already it would be enough.

I suppose it is more soreness which I still have 3 days later.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Does anyone just do the squats without weights?
  • bostongrl13
    bostongrl13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Agreed, squats are one of the best core strengthening exercises you can do.

Also, strengthening your lower back and hamstrings will affect your squats. Back hyper-extensions, supermans, good mornings, and straight leg dead-lifts have improved my squat significantly. In my experience, my lower back is the first part of my body to tire out under the weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Most would quickly get to the point that it turns in to so many reps to even be a load on your body, but then it's cardio, not lifting focus.

And you can't learn good lifting squat form without a bar and enough weight to learn to balance properly, well, usually can't.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Yes - and progressing to Pistol Squats. Not against lifters or weights, just personally hooked on bodyweight exercising.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yes - and progressing to Pistol Squats. Not against lifters or weights, just personally hooked on bodyweight exercising.
    Pistol squats are brutal!

I tend to do some days of "functional" body weight exercises, and some days of compound lifts with weights.
    Push ups and pistol squats are the hardest.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Yes, but your body will adapt to these fairly quickly, and you'll need to either add weight or move on to more challenging variations of body weight squats
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Me too! I also don't have anything against lifting. I do body weight strength training because it fits into my schedule much easier than going to the gym. Also it's very fun!
  • Dynamis600
    Options
    Thanks for your help.

Does it matter that I can't actually get past about 45degrees because my knees hurt?
    When I did them again I did them with a broom handle instead of a weight as I thought I had overdone it.

oh and to make it clear I did it as part of a routine doing push ups off the wall, and back extensions as well as side leg lifts and bicep curls with 3kg weights.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    you should def drop the weight unless you are doing low rep max load (and as a newbie, it obviously is a bad idea to do that)

Practice good form with your broom handle

sit back in your heels and tummy in back straight use a mirror
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i would look into stronglifts 5x5 in my opinion. 5 sets of 5 reps. start off with the broom handle if you want to get form down then move onto an empty bar, and progress from there. You would be amazed at how that program increases core strength.
  • Dynamis600
    Options
    Ok have watched the first part of "so you think you can squat" and will work on form with the broom handle.

Will look into stronglifts 5x5 tomorrow and buy a full length mirror.

Time to sleep it's 10:30pm here.

Thanks all for your help.