WTH? I can't even...

Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's uncool that they choose only beautiful, tall, not-quite-plus-size models in perfect poses for plus size clothing and then Photoshop even those, but then again, it's uncool that they choose only beautiful, tall, significantly underweight models in perfect poses for non-plus-size clothing and then Photoshop them too.

I don't think I've ever looked at an advertised piece of clothing and thought, "Oh, that's how I'll look too." Not even when I weighed 100 lbs.

p.s. I can't stand either one of those suits.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere once that a plus size model was a size 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but a size 12 is not "plus size". I love the plus size suit though.

There's no way that woman is even a size 6.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Why are both their arms and torsos Photoshopped to be 4 feet long? Both models (or the same person?) are completely out of proportion.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I read somewhere once that a plus size model was a size 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but a size 12 is not "plus size". I love the plus size suit though.

The one on the right? I'd peg her at a size 8 which is the lowest number that is considered "plus". It's no different than the regular models who are size 0 or whatever. The fashion industry just uses the "smallest" they can get away with.

• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MFP flipout yay!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This is sort of like how companies use 5'9" models to model petite clothing. Because there are no petite models who are actually petite. The industry hates short people even more than it hates overweight people.

I bought a dress from Banana Republic petite that was supposed to come to above the knee, at least, based on how it was modelled. It came down to mid-calf on my 5'1" frame. I sent it back.
  • spoonyspork
    Options
    That's... seriously, that's the exact same model. Same picture, same pose, just photoshopped (BADLY!) on the one in blue. You can see where they 'pushed' away the hand and hit the thumb to make it look deformed in the process. Check out the 'ear' placement for verification -- only difference is one has hair brushed out of it.

I'm not even an expert at this stuff and am usually really bad at spotting these things, and noticed right away. It's... really, really bad. XD
  • spoonyspork
    edited March 2015
    Options
    woop -- mfp blipped!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

The one on the right? I'd peg her at a size 8 which is the lowest number that is considered "plus". It's no different than the regular models who are size 0 or whatever. The fashion industry just uses the "smallest" they can get away with.

No way! I'm a size 6 and she's definitely slimmer than me!

But no I don't think it's the same model, the eyes and eyebrows are different, and she shape of the mouth, even if it seems similar.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    That's... seriously, that's the exact same model. Same picture, same pose, just photoshopped (BADLY!) on the one in blue. You can see where they 'pushed' away the hand and hit the thumb to make it look deformed in the process. Check out the 'ear' placement for verification -- only difference is one has hair brushed out of it.

I'm not even an expert at this stuff and am usually really bad at spotting these things, and noticed right away. It's... really, really bad. XD
    Ooh, can we have another thread like the one a while ago posted by a graphic artist who showed a whole bunch of photoshopped pics and explained what had been done in each?!

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They don't have many swimsuits, but I love buying dresses from Modcloth because they usually have a TON of customer-modeled photos, with the relevant stats there (height, bra size, size ordered) for your reference. I wish more online places would do that, it's nice to see just how short a hemline will be, etc.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

But no I don't think it's the same model, the eyes and eyebrows are different, and she shape of the mouth, even if it seems similar.

She may have a higher muscle mass than you do.
    In the 5'7" before/after thread, I posted that at 150#, I'm a size 2/4 and there were other women who weigh less than I do with a larger pant size.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

I think the issue here is how "sizes" have changed, and also how they differ among clothiers.

When I weighed 98-105 in the 1980s and had great muscle tone (worked out), I wore a size 3. I only got up to a size 5 at about 110-ish. I wasn't an anomaly. Most of my friends were a few pounds heavier than I was (maybe 110-115 lb. range; different for the taller girls, of course) and those friends were sizes 5 or 7. Age wasn't a factor, either - my mom weighed 115 and was a size 5 or a size 7 in nearly any manufacturer's clothes. Today, I hear people saying "I'm 165 and am happy to say I am a size 6!"

I think looking at sizes can be misleading for those of us over, say, 30 or 35 (I'm 47), because in our minds we still think of size 8, 6, etc. as "so little!" - even though those sizes AREN'T so little any more.

Just my observations; other people's experience may be different.

• Francl27
    Options

In the 5'7" before/after thread, I posted that at 150#, I'm a size 2/4 and there were other women who weigh less than I do with a larger pant size.

Yes but my point is that there's no way she's a size 8.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you need a swimsuit size 12 or up i loved a lot of the choices from swimsuitsforall.com - i got my bikini there last year. its too big this year :( LOL
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Exactly

Am I like the only one where this stuff doesn't bother me? :\
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the bigger girl has to be shown in a tent of a bathing suit. She looks to me like the perfect sized woman.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Yes but my point is that there's no way she's a size 8.

vanity sizing.
    she very well could be an 8.
    just like in some brands, I'm an 8.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Exactly

Am I like the only one where this stuff doesn't bother me? :\

No. It doesn't bother me much either. Modeling has been illusion and unrealistic expectations from its inception, AFAIK.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Ooh, can we have another thread like the one a while ago posted by a graphic artist who showed a whole bunch of photoshopped pics and explained what had been done in each?!

I remember that thread, it was really interesting to get some insight in to how to spot photoshopped pics.