WTH? I can't even...

Options

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    All I see are two really ugly swim suits, I wouldn't wear either of them, whatever my size.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I personally think the model on the right looks just perfect and doesn't need a suit that covers so much. Get on a bikini, girl!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What's funny is when they have skinny models trying on real plus size clothes. Roaman's is really bad with that. Just check their site:

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Crew-Neck-Long-Sleeve-Ultimate-tee.aspx?PfId=210855&DeptId=26535&ProductTypeId=1&prefine=Color,1&ppos=7&Splt=0&StyleNo=8510#.VQHw4TUZVhE
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the bigger girl has to be shown in a tent of a bathing suit. She looks to me like the perfect sized woman.

Exactly!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That is some BAD Photoshop work.

There is no way that the woman in the photo is an 8. Maybe a 6, but quite possibly smaller. It's hard to tell given how much the images have been manipulated.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    They don't have many swimsuits, but I love buying dresses from Modcloth because they usually have a TON of customer-modeled photos, with the relevant stats there (height, bra size, size ordered) for your reference. I wish more online places would do that, it's nice to see just how short a hemline will be, etc.

I love RentTheRunway for this! Even though I have not yet ordered anything from them, I can spend forever just looking at dresses and checking out the user submitted photos with their stats and such...seeing how different a dress can look from the model, and also from one womans shape / weight / height to another is facisnating!!! Many times even, a dress on the model that looks like *ugh* actually looks amazing on a woman with curves and would sway me to actually get it.

Kiddo showed me a site last night that had the same shopping concept...I also think more stores should do this. To be able to see what an outfit looks like on a non-photoshopped body with height / shape / measurements is awesome...

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LOL. That "plus size" model is probably a size 6.

ETA: Photoshop needs to be banned, now.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The one on the left looks poorly Photoshopped to me.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I read somewhere once that a plus size model was a size 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but a size 12 is not "plus size". I love the plus size suit though.

There's no way that woman is even a size 6.

The one on the right? I'd peg her at a size 8 which is the lowest number that is considered "plus". It's no different than the regular models who are size 0 or whatever. The fashion industry just uses the "smallest" they can get away with.

No way! I'm a size 6 and she's definitely slimmer than me!

But no I don't think it's the same model, the eyes and eyebrows are different, and she shape of the mouth, even if it seems similar.

She may have a higher muscle mass than you do.
    In the 5'7" before/after thread, I posted that at 150#, I'm a size 2/4 and there were other women who weigh less than I do with a larger pant size.

Yes but my point is that there's no way she's a size 8.

vanity sizing.
    she very well could be an 8.
    just like in some brands, I'm an 8.

true story. i can swing between size zero and size 12 depending on brands. it's ridiculous.

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    They don't have many swimsuits, but I love buying dresses from Modcloth because they usually have a TON of customer-modeled photos, with the relevant stats there (height, bra size, size ordered) for your reference. I wish more online places would do that, it's nice to see just how short a hemline will be, etc.

I was going to mention Modcloth.com. They just did a campaign where some of their worker bees modeled the swimsuits - and you can see that they have all sorts of different body types.

modcloth-intro_0.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I read somewhere once that a plus size model was a size 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but a size 12 is not "plus size". I love the plus size suit though.

The one on the right? I'd peg her at a size 8 which is the lowest number that is considered "plus". It's no different than the regular models who are size 0 or whatever. The fashion industry just uses the "smallest" they can get away with.
    Exactly

Am I like the only one where this stuff doesn't bother me? :\

Nope, doesn't bother me either. I stand by her being an 8. Whether that is plus sized or not does not bother me in the slightest. She's hot regardless ;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

But no I don't think it's the same model, the eyes and eyebrows are different, and she shape of the mouth, even if it seems similar.

In the 5'7" before/after thread, I posted that at 150#, I'm a size 2/4 and there were other women who weigh less than I do with a larger pant size.

It's hard to tell without seeing how tall she is. She's probably quite tall, in which case a size 8 on her could look slimmer than a size 8 on a shorter person.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

vanity sizing.

true story. i can swing between size zero and size 12 depending on brands. it's ridiculous.

Indeed...I right now have jeans that are a size 8 (albeit a bit snug) and also a size 12 (also a bit snug). The kicker? Exact same brand, exact same style of jeans, bought 3 years apart. The 8's are the newer one I got about 2 months ago. Vanity sizing is the devil.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

vanity sizing.

And that's why I hate shopping.
    I can be different sizes in the same cut of jean/pant from Old Navy just based on what color the thing is...

Joannah700 wrote: »

I was going to mention Modcloth.com. They just did a campaign where some of their worker bees modeled the swimsuits - and you can see that they have all sorts of different body types.

modcloth-intro_0.jpg

I dislike high-waisted swim suit bottoms. I don't particularly find them attractive on anyone.
    That said, the two women with bangs are rocking the suit. And I think they'd all look better if it was a red suit with white polka dots lol (personal preference. i just really like red and white polka dots)
    All I see are two really ugly swim suits, I wouldn't wear either of them, whatever my size.

yup! me too. horrendous suits
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

modcloth-intro_0.jpg

Now these are nice plus size models (except the middle one and two on the far right obviously).
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

modcloth-intro_0.jpg

Now these are nice plus size models (except the middle one and two on the far right obviously).

Yup...but not models, which is probably why...they're ModCloth employees...like, buyers, phone reps, etc.

I also like the age diversity in the customer review photos. Because, I seriously love their adorable print dresses, but sometimes worry that I've reached the age where fun prints are no longer twee, but now "Insane Cat Lady." I like seeing some fellow middle-aged broads rocking some fit and flair silly prints and looking charming.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    This is not to say I am not an Insane Cat Lady, or that Insane Cat Ladies are anything but magnificent.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

modcloth-intro_0.jpg

Yup...but not models, which is probably why...they're ModCloth employees...like, buyers, phone reps, etc.

I also like the age diversity in the customer review photos. Because, I seriously love their adorable print dresses, but sometimes worry that I've reached the age where fun prints are no longer twee, but now "Insane Cat Lady." I like seeing some fellow middle-aged broads rocking some fit and flair silly prints and looking charming.

You'll never be too old for fun prints!

I can't really afford a lot of their stuff ($100+ on a dress is too much for this girl) but if I could, I'd be covered in polka dots, horsies, and flowers all day, errrday.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

vanity sizing.

And that's why I hate shopping.
    I can be different sizes in the same cut of jean/pant from Old Navy just based on what color the thing is...

modcloth-intro_0.jpg

I dislike high-waisted swim suit bottoms. I don't particularly find them attractive on anyone.
    That said, the two women with bangs are rocking the suit. And I think they'd all look better if it was a red suit with white polka dots lol (personal preference. i just really like red and white polka dots)

FYI - they do have those in red and white polka dots too - and lots of other styles, but the website caters to vintage inspired frocks, hence...the high waist options in the campaign.

Swim_-915.jpg

Just for you.

• HeySwoleSister
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

modcloth-intro_0.jpg

You'll never be too old for fun prints!

I can't really afford a lot of their stuff ($100+ on a dress is too much for this girl) but if I could, I'd be covered in polka dots, horsies, and flowers all day, errrday.

I might have stuffed my closet in their pre-holiday sales. Dresses were more like $30-$40....I went a little crazy. :)