People want so desperately to be the exception...

Options
Why?

Why is it so hard for us to accept the reality of things that are too good to be true or just not good for us?

We all want the *kitten* guy, the get rich quick scheme, the two day diet, the 5 minute facelift, etc... What is wrong with patience and common sense?

If that guy's a jerk to EVERY other girl, what makes you think he'll treat you different?

If THOUSANDS of people have lost money to this scheme, why would you be the millionaire?

If it seems too easy, why bother? There are things in life that are going to require hard work. That's it. Bottom line. There's no shortcut to success, no matter what area of life. You want to make money and be successful? Work hard. You want a great relationship? Work hard. You want a great body? WORK HARD.

This is diet and weight loss related because this maddening desire to be the exception is taking over the fitness world. We have to work hard. We have to give ourselves the effort.

When people tell you to eat more, they're not trying to be mean or insensitive. It's because they've tried what you're doing, thought what you're thinking, and learned from their mistakes. They're trying to help you. You're not the exception.

When people tell you to lift weights, they're not trying to bash cardio. It's because they've tried what you're doing, thought what you're thinking, and learned from their mistakes. You're not the exception.

When people tell you those diet pills, wraps, shakes, supplements and VLCDs don't work, THEY'RE NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN OR INSENSITIVE. IT'S BECAUSE THEY'VE TRIED WHAT YOU'RE DOING, THOUGHT WHAT YOU'RE THINKING, AND LEARNED FROM THEIR MISTAKES. YOU'RE NOT THE EXCEPTION.

You're not the exception. Treat your body right. You're the rule.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Well stated.
    Its frustrating to read so many posts asking what really are good questions, getting good answers...but then the OP rejects all the answers that don't match some idea they already had, because they're special snowflakes.
    Its a steep learning curve. People aren't being mean just because they're telling the truth.
  • BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    Love it!
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    So much truth in this post. Well put.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

the truth has no place on the internet!!!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!! :heart:
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I feel like that has been the story of my life. Trying every fad diet that came around. Not any more... I finally figured out I have to do the work to get there.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

the truth has no place on the internet!!!

Ain't that the truth
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Well stated.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Amen to this! We're part of a drive-thru, disposable society & we want it our-way....NOW! We don't want to put in the work it takes to earn what we want.....be it the great job (we settle for mediocrity), the marriage (we get divorced), the body (we get fat). We need to tap in to our own determination and put in the work.
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great post...loved it.
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My reply to MEGMOMS2

I agree. Great post. I have always welcomed truth weather it's not what I want to hear or not. What I don't like is the arrogant people on here throwing out their opinions, turth or not and being snarky about it. At that point, it is just being mean. It's seems to be a trend on the forums. And if you go through a lot of the forums, you will see it's mainly the same people being mean to OP's that are maybe asking an obvious question, but are serious about wanting to know. Sometimes these people aren't educated and really just want to know.

I personally have witnessed this and felt so bad for the OP's. They don't deserve some sarcastic remark, or being made fun of for asking the question. However, this is supposed to be a tool to motivate, encourage and help people trying to lose weight, eat right and stay fit. If you or anyone feels it necessary to reply to an OP with a sarcastic or degrading tone, then I think you don't belong here and your opinion reaps no value.

Side note: I've seen more attacks on OP's for no reason than I have seen people not accepting the truth and becoming deffensive.

Point: You can always educate people with "the truth" in a nice manner. If they choose to become offensive, well then.....they just opened up the flood gate to every person who is having a crappy day or has a low self-esteem and ready to make themselves feel better by making fun of the OP.

Just Sayin!
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    THIS!

There's no quick fix. It's easy to starve yourself to your goal weight in 5 weeks but then what about week 6? (Traditionally my problem) My metabolism is so messed up, I can't afford to eat properly because I'll pile it back on. (I did)

Trying to do it the sensible way this time. A decent amount of calories. Upping my activity levels. No pills or shakes. It has to be a sustainable lifestyle choice for me to consider it. So...

Walking to work (yes)
    Being aware of drinking my calories (yes)
    Stopping drinking altogether (no)
    Anything with "miracle" in the title (no)

Fingers crossed!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Why?

Why is it so hard for us to accept the reality of things that are too good to be true or just not good for us?

We all want the *kitten* guy, the get rich quick scheme, the two day diet, the 5 minute facelift, etc... What is wrong with patience and common sense?

If that guy's a jerk to EVERY other girl, what makes you think he'll treat you different?

If THOUSANDS of people have lost money to this scheme, why would you be the millionaire?

If it seems too easy, why bother? There are things in life that are going to require hard work. That's it. Bottom line. There's no shortcut to success, no matter what area of life. You want to make money and be successful? Work hard. You want a great relationship? Work hard. You want a great body? WORK HARD.

This is diet and weight loss related because this maddening desire to be the exception is taking over the fitness world. We have to work hard. We have to give ourselves the effort.

When people tell you to eat more, they're not trying to be mean or insensitive. It's because they've tried what you're doing, thought what you're thinking, and learned from their mistakes. They're trying to help you. You're not the exception.

When people tell you to lift weights, they're not trying to bash cardio. It's because they've tried what you're doing, thought what you're thinking, and learned from their mistakes. You're not the exception.

When people tell you those diet pills, wraps, shakes, supplements and VLCDs don't work, THEY'RE NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN OR INSENSITIVE. IT'S BECAUSE THEY'VE TRIED WHAT YOU'RE DOING, THOUGHT WHAT YOU'RE THINKING, AND LEARNED FROM THEIR MISTAKES. YOU'RE NOT THE EXCEPTION.

You're not the exception. Treat your body right. You're the rule.
    Excellent. Just to defend some of the really successful who have done well, they got successful because they more than likely became obsessed with whatever it is they were trying to become successful at and sacrificed a lot as well as stepped on some people along the way. In general, the majority of the people don't want to dedicate their lives to just one obsession and be self centered, which is why most people don't succeed the same way. These people also didn't do it in a few months or so but took YEARS and YEARS to get it done.
    But you can attain SATISFACTORY success if you're life is balanced at just about anything you take on with some discipline and determination. Just don't believe that there are short cuts to any goal. As the OP mentioned, it takes WORK. How much you put in will usually end up on how much you get out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    But what about when that *kitten* guy is mostly douchebaggy to you because he discovered you don't like his creepy friend? Why do guys keep creeps as friends? Like, your guy friend is really creepy when he is over complimenting every chick he works with and even making comments on the color of your lipstick (but is not gay, but brings up how he's still a virgin every chance he can). And I liked the guy (the non creepy one). Whatever, dude.

But, yes, I understand what the OP is saying totally. There is no magic pill to fix everything.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    my mum says im a special snowflake though...

nothing like ruining a good story with the truth ;)
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Right on!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What's funny is that people who are successful and people who are not are usually equally self-centered... the difference lies in, as you say, how much real WORK is put into whatever you want to accomplish.

I feel like I've barely even pushed myself this year, but already I've lost more than 20 pounds, 3 clothing sizes, and have gained muscle. If I actually start working my *kitten* off at this, I am certain that I'll achieve the figure that I never even dreamed I could have, and maintain it!

People simply do not realize how MUCH they are capable of changing their own lives, no matter what their situation, financial status, health, etc. The only thing that holds us back from success is our own excuses. If you want to do something, YOU CAN DO IT!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Applause.