Juicing

Options
Has anyone done a juice cleanse?- I'm thinking of doing one before my vacation next weekend for a few days- please leave your thoughts =)

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If you do a search for this topic, you will discover the answer is a resounding NO!

PS: What are you cleansing anyway? Nobody has been able to answer specifically.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Did a 7 day juice
    Didnt feel any different
    Went through loads of money buying more fruit and veg than usual
    Lost 4lbs and put it all back on again as soon as I started eating properly again
    Found it virtually impossible to meet even the lowest protein requirments
    - wouldn't do it again.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I'd really suggest using the search feature.

Cleanses are unneeded and a bunch a bunk.

This is the 4 or 5 juice cleanses thread I've seen today....is there a new "documentary" out?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    NO to a cleanse.

If your juices are almost all veggies, mix with selzer and enjoy as a vitamin-and-flavor-added water.

Otherwise, just no.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

That's true. They always say they need to cleanse toxins but what toxins? What is wrong with their organs that they can't do the cleansing for them?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    No.
    Just eat the food you would have juiced.
    Much simpler, less messy, and you're getting the fiber you'd lose making it into juice.

And what are you "cleansing" your body of?
    Nobody's ever able to answer that.
    (If you're going to say "toxins", please be specific as to which ones, and explain how juice will remove them from your body when your kidneys, liver, lungs, and skin can't.)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

That's true. They always say they need to cleanse toxins but what toxins? What is wrong with their organs that they can't do the cleansing for them?

The number one "toxic" substance and is dihydrogen monoxide. Very dangerous stuff.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Just eat the food you would have juiced.

Neat. I like this answer.
  • crazydee310
    crazydee310 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your thoughts! I diet regularly and work out but I was encouraged to try juicing to help lose a few extra pounds before my vacation. Guess I will just stick to my normal routine :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your body cleanses all by itself.
  • Committedtochange2015
    Options
    I disagree with most of the answers above, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm on a juice detox. I'm on day 15 and have only drank fresh pressed fruit and veg, hot lemon water & fruit tea (when I fancy something hot). I have lost 1st 1lb in 2 weeks, I have a lot more to loose, but this is only the start! With the way life is today our bodies are full of toxins! If you drink alcohol, smoke, eat processed foods, drink fizzy sodas, eat anything with a shelf life (anything in a packet with a date on it), it is all full of chemicals and preservatives that do harm to our body. So when you detox your aim is to get rid of that. Yes your body naturally cleanses and heals itself, but how can it when we're choking down un-natural foods and chemicals? Our body then has to focus on processing alien products and isn't getting a chance to heal itself. I may not stop in a month, or two, I will stop when I can honestly say that I feel healthy. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! :smile:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of the answers above, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm on a juice detox. I'm on day 15 and have only drank fresh pressed fruit and veg, hot lemon water & fruit tea (when I fancy something hot). I have lost 1st 1lb in 2 weeks, I have a lot more to loose, but this is only the start! With the way life is today our bodies are full of toxins! If you drink alcohol, smoke, eat processed foods, drink fizzy sodas, eat anything with a shelf life (anything in a packet with a date on it), it is all full of chemicals and preservatives that do harm to our body. So when you detox your aim is to get rid of that. Yes your body naturally cleanses and heals itself, but how can it when we're choking down un-natural foods and chemicals? Our body then has to focus on processing alien products and isn't getting a chance to heal itself. I may not stop in a month, or two, I will stop when I can honestly say that I feel healthy. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! :smile:

Please tell me how preservatives are harmful to our bodies.

Also, can you tell us exactly which toxins a random juice will cleanse our bodies of? How exactly does that work?

Thanks.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You lost water weight because you aren't eating food. You will add that back in as soon as you start eating regularly again.

And can you please tell me the name of just one toxin you are trying to cleanse?

Basically OP, do not listen to this person. It basically reads like a Woman's Day Health Article and has no actual factual truth.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Always one.

i_dont_even_ndt.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Really. Your body does not need any cleansing other than what it does for itself.

In addition to your "detox," are you eating any food at all? It seems pretty dangerous to me to drink nothing but juice, fruit tea, and water.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    Did a 7 day juice
    Didnt feel any different
    Lost 4lbs and put it all back on again as soon as I started eating properly again
    - wouldn't do it again.

^This is really good first hand experience.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    yogicarl wrote: »
    Did a 7 day juice
    Didnt feel any different
    - wouldn't do it again.

^This is really good first hand experience.

But that's not what OP wanted to hear! That person's opinion is irrelevant and negative!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You lost water weight because you aren't eating food. You will add that back in as soon as you start eating regularly again.

And can you please tell me the name of just one toxin you are trying to cleanse?

Basically OP, do not listen to this person. It basically reads like a Woman's Day Health Article and has no actual factual truth.

You have no solid food in your digestive tract. This is why you "weigh" less, along with water losses. after 15 days on a VLCD, you've probably also lost some fat and muscle. Lots of muscle actually, because there isn't much protein to speak of in those juices.

I have a juicer, I use it to use up some of my surplus CSA veg during peak season. I mix my juice with seltzer water and enjoy it alongside my regular meals.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

You have no solid food in your digestive tract. This is why you "weigh" less, along with water losses. after 15 days on a VLCD, you've probably also lost some fat and muscle. Lots of muscle actually, because there isn't much protein to speak of in those juices.

I have a juicer, I use it to use up some of my surplus CSA veg during peak season. I mix my juice with seltzer water and enjoy it alongside my regular meals.

Juice detox cleanses out poop.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Same here. I love fresh squeezed OJ, carrot juice, and juices with mixed fruits and vegetables. But, there is no way I would substitute this for eating veggies and fruits, or use it as a meal only.