Juicing

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of the answers above, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm on a juice detox. I'm on day 15 and have only drank fresh pressed fruit and veg, hot lemon water & fruit tea (when I fancy something hot). I have lost 1st 1lb in 2 weeks, I have a lot more to loose, but this is only the start! With the way life is today our bodies are full of toxins! If you drink alcohol, smoke, eat processed foods, drink fizzy sodas, eat anything with a shelf life (anything in a packet with a date on it), it is all full of chemicals and preservatives that do harm to our body. So when you detox your aim is to get rid of that. Yes your body naturally cleanses and heals itself, but how can it when we're choking down un-natural foods and chemicals? Our body then has to focus on processing alien products and isn't getting a chance to heal itself. I may not stop in a month, or two, I will stop when I can honestly say that I feel healthy. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! :smile:

The simple questions your post triggers you will not be able to answer.
    What toxins does this "cleanse" remove that the body doesn't already do on its own?
    If the "cleanse" does in fact remove a toxin that the body is incapable of filtering on its own ... how does the "cleanse" do it?

Science counters your diatribe. I trust science ... not people who would brag about losing an unhealty amount of weight in a short period of time. Perhaps you should provide your grey matter with the fuel it requires.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of the answers above, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm on a juice detox. I'm on day 15 and have only drank fresh pressed fruit and veg, hot lemon water & fruit tea (when I fancy something hot). I have lost 1st 1lb in 2 weeks, I have a lot more to loose, but this is only the start! With the way life is today our bodies are full of toxins! If you drink alcohol, smoke, eat processed foods, drink fizzy sodas, eat anything with a shelf life (anything in a packet with a date on it), it is all full of chemicals and preservatives that do harm to our body. So when you detox your aim is to get rid of that. Yes your body naturally cleanses and heals itself, but how can it when we're choking down un-natural foods and chemicals? Our body then has to focus on processing alien products and isn't getting a chance to heal itself. I may not stop in a month, or two, I will stop when I can honestly say that I feel healthy. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! :smile:

What toxins does this "cleanse" remove that the body doesn't already do on its own?
    If the "cleanse" does in fact remove a toxin that the body is incapable of filtering on its own ... how does the "cleanse" do it?

Science counters your diatribe. I trust science ... not people who would brag about losing an unhealty amount of weight in a short period of time. Perhaps you should provide your grey matter with the fuel it requires.

I have found that many of the people who make posts like the one above like to come into these threads to spread their little giblets of Pinterest science and skip merrily away, never to be seen or heard from again. Like this:

tumblr_m4qahgRDc51rqns5w.gif
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I have found that many of the people who make posts like the one above like to come into these threads to spread their little giblets of Pinterest science and skip merrily away, never to be seen or heard from again. Like this:

HAHAHA!! YES so much THIS!
  • brianpperkins
    Options

If only Pintrest would incorporate more words ...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

• Committedtochange2015
    Options
    Please tell me how preservatives are harmful to our bodies.

Also, can you tell us exactly which toxins a random juice will cleanse our bodies of? How exactly does that work?

Thanks.

Hello, I've looked into it as even I was unsure, I don't claim to know everything, I was merely suggesting that removing all of those toxins could only help. And are proving to help me.
    Aspartame, sulfites, benzoates and yellow dye No. 5 are all preservatives that have been identified as preservatives that could exacerbate breathing problems in asthmatics and others.
    There have also been studies that have linked sulfites with shortness of breath and other breathing problems.
    It's not just a random juice, I'm following a detox program. Micronutrients have been studied by scientists and nutritionalists and proven to help our body, for example ginger is supposed to help with digestion and nausea, peppermint is supposed to relieve bloating.
    I'm not bragging about my weight loss or the benefits, I'm merely giving my opinion and not questioning those of others. Everyone's body is different & I was just sharing my experiences.
    I would love a pizza right now, but I would rather be healthy! And for some that comes more naturally, for me juicing is something that is proving to help me.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Also, can you tell us exactly which toxins a random juice will cleanse our bodies of? How exactly does that work?

Thanks.

Hello, I've looked into it as even I was unsure, I don't claim to know everything, I was merely suggesting that removing all of those toxins could only help. And are proving to help me.
    Aspartame, sulfites, benzoates and yellow dye No. 5 are all preservatives that have been identified as preservatives that could exacerbate breathing problems in asthmatics and others.
    There have also been studies that have linked sulfites with shortness of breath and other breathing problems.
    It's not just a random juice, I'm following a detox program. Micronutrients have been studied by scientists and nutritionalists and proven to help our body, for example ginger is supposed to help with digestion and nausea, peppermint is supposed to relieve bloating.
    I'm not bragging about my weight loss or the benefits, I'm merely giving my opinion and not questioning those of others. Everyone's body is different & I was just sharing my experiences.
    I would love a pizza right now, but I would rather be healthy! And for some that comes more naturally, for me juicing is something that is proving to help me.

So much lol in this post. :laugh:
  • brianpperkins
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks.

There is nothing based on science or fact in your post. In fact, science dismisses the detox/cleanse concept.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think juicing and cleanses are unhealthy fads but there is no reason to laugh at and berate people. Try educating them kindly, you may just get them to listen. Mock them and ridicule them and they only dig in their heels.
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started drinking mixed juice (pressed by a slow-juicer - 40% fruits, 60% veggies and leaves I would say) every day since last summer and without talking all the scientific things, I did lose craving for 'unhealthy' food and sweets. My body was happy with what I was taking in... and just weight dramatically. obviously together with regular exercises... Now I really do not want my day to start without it! that's all I wanted to say :)
  • Committedtochange2015
    Options
    I genuinely feel sorry for some of you, that you feel the need to attempt to belittle someone to get your point across.
    I have shared my experience in the hope that it might inspire someone who is thinking of giving it a go.
    I couldn't care less about your negative comments.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion!
    I've lost what I've lost & I'm feeling healthier, and my dermatologist says that I'm looking healthier and can't wait to see the final results.
    In the end the person who asked the question is going to do whatever the hell they feel like haha!
    Have a nice day.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I genuinely feel sorry for some of you, that you feel the need to attempt to belittle someone to get your point across.
    I have shared my experience in the hope that it might inspire someone who is thinking of giving it a go.
    I've lost what I've lost & I'm feeling healthier, and my dermatologist says that I'm looking healthier and can't wait to see the final results.
    In the end the person who asked the question is going to do whatever the hell they feel like haha!
    Have a nice day.

No one is belittling you. They are belittling the idea that drinking only juice for a period of time is healthy or necessary or beneficial - because it's not.

These detox threads come up constantly and have been debunked every single time with science. Whatever weight you lost in the past two weeks will come back on as soon as you introduce solid foods into your diet, because you have no solid waste in your system at the moment. You have not detoxed your body with juice whatsoever in the past 2 weeks - that is a complete and total myth. Your body has no problem whatsoever metabolizing and ridding itself of the substances that you mentioned above. Furthermore, these juice diets can indeed be dangerous for some people and should not be encouraged. The only way to a lighter, healthier you is to eat in a reasonable caloric deficit and move around more. Your body will handle the rest.

Detox is a scam that was created to get you to buy supplements and juicers (and wraps and shakes and blah blah blah). Please read the Guardian article that was linked above - it contains some really great information.
  • Committedtochange2015
    Options
    If that's the case, then don't do it.
    But I am & I'm feeling healthier & if that's all I get from it, then that's all I need.
    I'm incredibly ill and doing something like this has made me feel & look healthier.
    I watched "Super Juice Me" and "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" and both make sense to me.
    I am fat, sick and nearly dead and I don't plan on staying this way.
    I'm hoping that I can change my life.
    But I will have a look at the link you posted, however I'm still going to do what I'm doing. :smile:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    If that's the case, then don't do it.
    But I am & I'm feeling healthier & if that's all I get from it, then that's all I need.
    I'm incredibly ill and doing something like this has made me feel & look healthier.
    I watched "Super Juice Me" and "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" and both make sense to me.
    I am fat, sick and nearly dead and I don't plan on staying this way.
    I'm hoping that I can change my life.
    But I will have a look at the link you posted, however I'm still going to do what I'm doing. :smile:

You do what you've got to do - live and learn. However, those movies are nothing more than informercials for juicers.

Also, encouraging others to something that is potentially dangerous when you clearly have no idea how the human body works is irresponsible, which is why people on here discourage these detoxes and fad diets as bluntly as they do.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My only question.....WTH is wrong with pizza?

Oh, and hooray for commercials dressed like infomercials....

Edit, I guess I had a 2nd question, didn't nearly dead guy almost get to nearly dead again?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Wow, juice threads gal lore today.

In for pizza. <3
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Wow, juice threads gal lore today.

In for pizza. <3

Pizza.gif
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »

PS: What are you cleansing anyway? Nobody has been able to answer specifically.

That's true. They always say they need to cleanse toxins but what toxins? What is wrong with their organs that they can't do the cleansing for them?

The number one "toxic" substance and is dihydrogen monoxide. Very dangerous stuff.

Two well known activists (Penn and Teller) have started a petition to get that chemical banned. I think they were very successful in getting signatures.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Have a nice day.

I'm with you, committed. After you finish up your juice cleanse, PM me for info on the 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM). There's a new liquid version if the drinks are more your style and it's a great way to follow up a juicing cleanse.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    No, I don't like drinking my calories if there is no alcohol involved. Only exception I make is for the ligonberry juice at IKEA or low cal/high protein shakes. But I can't imagine ever making a whole diet around not eating solid food. Nooooooo thanks.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ...eat anything with a shelf life...

...Yes your body naturally cleanses and heals itself, but how can it when we're choking down un-natural foods and chemicals...

1. My compost says apples and oranges have a shelf life and they are not prepackaged.
    2. How does the body distinguish between natural and unnatural chemicals?