Seriously discouraged

Options
So, I've lost 31 pounds in the past few months. For the past 36 days, I've worked out four-five days a week (at least 40 minutes a day), have cut out ALL meat but omega-3-rich fish, have kept my calories, carbs, and cholesterol under control (as well as my sodium). I've taken all the "right" supplements (sterols and stanols, fish oil, vitamin D, garlic, plus a multi), and even been trying to get 15 minutes of sun a day. My veggie, fruit, and hearty whole grain intake has increased markedly (which is a natural result of decreased meat consumption). I wasn't hoping for a miracle, I was hoping for some sort of improvement in my lipid profile and vitamin D levels. I mean, these are the things you're supposed to do to improve your lipid profile and vitamin D levels, right?

Instead, my triglycerides are UP, my LDL is UP, my vitamin D is DOWN. Yes, I did get my HDL from 33 to 36 (big whoop), but otherwise, nothing good happened here. Even my A1c went from 5.4 to 5.8.

What the hell?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why have you cut out all meat?
  • OgahpahBear
    Options
    There is a tremendous misconception in the nutrition community. 50 years ago a study was made to look as if eating red meats and saturated fats contributed to high cholesterol, heart disease, and other related illnesses. This has been the stance of the ADA and has never actually been proven. They found the seven countries in the world with high heart-related deaths and high saturated fat consumption to find a correlation. Since then, nothing has actually proven that saturated fat consumption causes heart-related illnesses. If you want those LCD numbers to go down, you are going to have to reduce your whole grain consumption and increase your saturated fat consumption. The doctors will only tell you what has been spoon fed to them by the organizations which they are affiliated. Most doctors graduate with their MD with less that EIGHT HOURS of nutrition training. Talk to an informed nutritionist, read up on diet-related illness, and you will fix this problem. Here are some websites that will tell you more with links to great information:
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/
    http://www.fatburningman.com/
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Because I find the source of most beef and pork horrifying, I find the fat levels unacceptable for someone who, like me, is diabetic, and I find the carcinogenic qualities of many meats worrisome.

Kris
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How are your thyroid levels?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    36 days isn't a long time to change cholesterol and vitamin D levels. It took your body a lifetime to get where you are today, it will take more than 5 weeks to get it healthy again. I had low vitamin D levels and the doctor put me on prescription supplements. It took 6 months to get my levels where they needed to be.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/heart-health/lowering-ldl-cholesterol

And I found this to be the case--yes, my HDL went up a bit (from 33 to 36), but my LDL also went up--from 130 to 136. I think the thing that's holding me back is the yo-yoing I've done. So, instead of letting myself be dragged down by this, I'm going to continue and see how things look at six months.

As for the "no meat but fish/pescatarian" gig, I FEEL better than I've felt in years. Increased veggies, whole grains, fruits, plus fish? I feel great, my digestion is, for the first time in a decade or more, not giving me grief. And yeah, on special occasions I'll still have a good grass-fed steak or some non-Smithfield ribs, but otherwise, for ME, this is a better way of eating. That my total cholesterol went up is disappointing, but may also be a reflection of 1) my diabetes, 2) the length of time I've been at it, and 3) my current weight. Yes, I've lost a lot of weight, but I still weigh almost 300 lbs. Maybe a decent lipid profile is too much to hope for at this weight.

Kris
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Because I find the source of most beef and pork horrifying, I find the fat levels unacceptable for someone who, like me, is diabetic, and I find the carcinogenic qualities of many meats worrisome.

Kris

you find cows and pigs horrifying?!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Please read 'Good Calories Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes. After that, particularly Chapter 9 (Cholesterol) you'll have some better insights. there's nothing wrong with meat. more is wrong with grain really. but read the book and research it yourself. You don't have any reason to be discouraged. you're doing well.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    36 days isn't a long time to change cholesterol and vitamin D levels. It took your body a lifetime to get where you are today, it will take more than 5 weeks to get it healthy again. I had low vitamin D levels and the doctor put me on prescription supplements. It took 6 months to get my levels where they needed to be.

Thank you, that's what I'm thinking. I won't take the prescription mega-doses--I have cardiac issues and my levels aren't so low that the mega-dose benefits outweigh the risks in my case. But I have upped my daily from 1000 to 2000 mg, and hopefully I'll see better results at my six month appointment.

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Please read 'Good Calories Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes. After that, particularly Chapter 9 (Cholesterol) you'll have some better insights. there's nothing wrong with meat. more is wrong with grain really. but read the book and research it yourself. You don't have any reason to be discouraged. you're doing well.

Thank you, I'll have a look.

Kris
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Kris

http://examine.com/faq/does-red-meat-cause-cancer.html
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Kris

Giggle.
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Kris

I find factory farming and feed lots horrifying.

Kris
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Kris

Giggle.

couldnt resist! :smile:
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Options
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    How are your thyroid levels?

I've always felt they're playing a part, but I've never had a doc agree with me. Let me check, hang on.

Here are my labs, in their entirety:

A/G Ratio

Albumin, Serum

Alkaline Phosphatase, Serum

ALT (SGPT)

AST (SGOT)

Bilirubin, Total

BUN

BUN/Creatinine Ratio

Calcium, Serum

Carbon Dioxide, Total

Chloride, Serum

Creatinine, Serum

eGFR If Africn Am

Globulin, Total

Glom Filt Rate, Est

Glucose, Serum

Potassium, Serum

Protein, Total, Serum

Sodium, Serum

Lipid Panel And Chol/HDL Ratio

Cholesterol, Total

HDL Cholesterol

LDL Cholesterol Calc

T. Chol/HDL Ratio

Triglycerides

VLDL Cholesterol Cal

Microalb/Creat Ratio, Randm Ur

Creatinine, Urine

MIcroalb/Creat Ratio.

Microalbum.,U,Random

Hemoglobin A1c

TSH / Labcorp 004259 / Quest 30163E

TSH

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your source of whole grains frankly. A lot of breads for example have a ton of added sugar and whatnot.

Also my doctor told me it takes months for your bloodwork to change.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I am interested..
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I love a bit of meat.