Seriously discouraged

Options

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. It really does take awhile for your profile to change. My cholesterol is very slowly coming down and I've been on a healthy diet for several years. My vitamin D and iron levels stay borderline normal, even with supplements. Some people don't react as fast to diet changes. But, you are making good choices, so just keep on keepin' on.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3258689/

Anecdotally (in addition to the scholarly article above), when I quit eating processed foods with added hfcs and more than one fruit per day, my LDL dropped by 30 points over 6 months. You have a special case, because of your other conditions, but in general, eating some healthy fats and reducing your sugar intake will be quite good for overall health. Glucose as found in white rice, is an acceptable sugar, but not nearly as sweet as fructose or sucrose.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/heart-health/lowering-ldl-cholesterol

And I found this to be the case--yes, my HDL went up a bit (from 33 to 36), but my LDL also went up--from 130 to 136. I think the thing that's holding me back is the yo-yoing I've done. So, instead of letting myself be dragged down by this, I'm going to continue and see how things look at six months.

As for the "no meat but fish/pescatarian" gig, I FEEL better than I've felt in years. Increased veggies, whole grains, fruits, plus fish? I feel great, my digestion is, for the first time in a decade or more, not giving me grief. And yeah, on special occasions I'll still have a good grass-fed steak or some non-Smithfield ribs, but otherwise, for ME, this is a better way of eating. That my total cholesterol went up is disappointing, but may also be a reflection of 1) my diabetes, 2) the length of time I've been at it, and 3) my current weight. Yes, I've lost a lot of weight, but I still weigh almost 300 lbs. Maybe a decent lipid profile is too much to hope for at this weight.

Kris

Try to not be discouraged. You are losing weight, eating healthy and FEELING better. Keep doing what you're doing and give it time. 6 months is probably a fair amount of time to wait before you have your levels checked again. Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I love a bit of meat.

*snort* I'm trying to give it up. Husband won't be impressed.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    why have you cut out all meat?

Because I find the source of most beef and pork horrifying, I find the fat levels unacceptable for someone who, like me, is diabetic, and I find the carcinogenic qualities of many meats worrisome.

Kris

With diabetes I worry more about carb levels than fat levels. If you've increased your carbs to compensate for the protein that will have an impact on your blood sugar readings.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight with a BMI of around 35, though it's decreasing, slowly but surely. I recently had bloodwork done as well.

I was also found to have practically shockingly low Vitamin D levels - 9.4. My nurse who gave me the results told me she'd never seen a level so low in her entire career. I was put on a 6-month prescription of a weekly 50,000IU supplement and then told to re-test. Now that summer is upon us, I'm also going to try to force myself to get a little more sun - I have extremely fair skin and so I wear some kind of SPF on all exposed skin year-round, which obviously contributed to that. I need to find a balance there. But, anyway, my doctor told me it can easily take months and months to fix Vitamin D levels - she didn't even expect me to be where she wants me at my 6 month re-test. So, don't get discouraged there.

With regard to cholesterol, my numbers were outstanding, particularly for someone who is technically obese. My HDL was 67, triglycerides were 69, and LDL was 97. Don't get too caught up on LDL - it's important to keep that low, but it's far more important to keep triglycerides low and even more important to keep HDL high. It sounds like you're doing the right things to raise your HDL, but in order to lower triglycerides you need to decrease grains (really, carbs overall, but you don't want to be cutting out vegetables and moderate amounts of fruit). Trust me, I know how counter-intuitive that sounds, but give it a shot. That's how I eat - lots of "healthy" fats like almonds and olive oil, plenty of fruits and veggies, very few grains (of course a little here and there, but many days none and unless it's an extremely special occasion no more than one serving per day), and lots of protein - including saturated fats. It's almost paleo but not quite (and I'm not shooting for that, just to give you something to compare to).

Just think about it. I totally get what you're saying about physically feeling better eating how you are, but just consider it.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    whole grain intake has increased markedly

I'm guessing this is the problem. Have you been tested for wheat/gluten intolerance? Sometimes it doesn't present as celiac but can still be a metabolic inhibitor (thyroid disrupter). Especially for blood type O. Do you know your blood type? I'm type O and i'm amazed how much my energy levels have improved since i cut out gluten... even my early morning basal body temp has risen! (it was consistently a degree lower than normal for years, even on thyroid meds). Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out and then you would know for sure.

*edit - also of note: celiac can cause impairment of absorption of vitamin D because gluten allergy/intolerance can cause villous atrophy in the intestines.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    You might want to give up the fish oil and try Omega-3 Krill Oil (I use one by Natrol).

My levels:

Pre , after 30 days:
    Total Chol 219 , 143
    HDL 97, 78
    LDL 114 , outside reporting range (to low to register)
    TC/HDL 2.3 , 1.8 (ideal)
    Triglycerides 45, 45

I was only taking one capsule a day, but you can safely take 2 per day.
    If you are loosing fat (I didn't say weight), your triglyceride levels will be slightly elevated as the triglyceride leaves the fat cell and enters the blood stream.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Because I find the source of most beef and pork horrifying, I find the fat levels unacceptable for someone who, like me, is diabetic, and I find the carcinogenic qualities of many meats worrisome.

Kris

you find cows and pigs horrifying?!

I find factory farming and feed lots horrifying.

Kris

Then, eat organic!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

I'm guessing this is the problem. Have you been tested for wheat/gluten intolerance? Sometimes it doesn't present as celiac but can still be a metabolic inhibitor (thyroid disrupter). Especially for blood type O. Do you know your blood type? I'm type O and i'm amazed how much my energy levels have improved since i cut out gluten... even my early morning basal body temp has risen! (it was consistently a degree lower than normal for years, even on thyroid meds). Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out and then you would know for sure.

*edit - also of note: celiac can cause impairment of absorption of vitamin D because gluten allergy/intolerance can cause villous atrophy in the intestines.
    I found this extremely interesting. *I* am O+ and for years and years had a low body temp (of a degree or more below "normal"). I've not gone gluten-free, but I've limited my bread/pasta consumption over the last year or so and my temperature readings are much more "normal" these days. I've never heard this before. Going to have to research.

Kris- Your TSH level is in the normal range (0.5-6.00). Did they do a free T4 test as well? I didn't see that listed. If so, the normal range is 0.7-1.8. I'm hypothyroid (diagnosed 3 years ago) and my most recent tests have my TSH at 2.49 and my Free T4 at 1.5, so my meds are well-regulated at the moment (thankfully). But perhaps what PhoenixEve said above relates to you as well...
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Kris

you find cows and pigs horrifying?!

I find factory farming and feed lots horrifying.

Kris

Then, eat organic!

When I eat red meat, I do.

Edited to say that, on the rare occasion I eat chicken, I also eat organic. And when I have the occasional eggs, I eat organic. In fact, most of what I eat is organic. Not being snotty, just wanted to clarify.

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Oh, goodness, when are they? I thought this was a MFP message board, not an academic review. I'm wondering, have you also challenged the other links leaning YOUR way for not being "reputable, peer-reviewed studies?"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22412075 -- and cancer

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/08/10/ajcn.111.018978.abstract -- and diabetes

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0020456 - and more cancer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121650/ -- plus

http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v106/n3/full/bjc2011585a.html -- plus

There are dozens upon dozens more, but I think I've made the point.

You can say that there's no "absolute causation" implied, but you cannot say that there's no serious food for thought here (pun intended).

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    You might want to give up the fish oil and try Omega-3 Krill Oil (I use one by Natrol).

My levels:

Pre , after 30 days:
    Total Chol 219 , 143
    HDL 97, 78
    LDL 114 , outside reporting range (to low to register)
    TC/HDL 2.3 , 1.8 (ideal)
    Triglycerides 45, 45

I was only taking one capsule a day, but you can safely take 2 per day.
    If you are loosing fat (I didn't say weight), your triglyceride levels will be slightly elevated as the triglyceride leaves the fat cell and enters the blood stream.

This was very helpful, thank you!

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Worth investigating, but my energy levels have actually increased dramatically since I upped the whole grain and fruits/veggies. I feel better, more alive, less tired, more energetic.

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    why have you cut out all meat?

Kris

With diabetes I worry more about carb levels than fat levels. If you've increased your carbs to compensate for the protein that will have an impact on your blood sugar readings.

Good thinking, but I actually keep my carbs well controlled--not "Atkins" restricted, but low enough that my blood sugar is controlled through diet. Even on nights I have whole grains, my total carbs per meal are kept in a reasonable range and my blood sugar doesn't spike.

I know a lot of folks are into the "eat more meat," but "eating more meat" is what helped get me here. I've been a "meat with every meal" kind of person my whole life, and it hasn't done well by me.

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    I'm overweight with a BMI of around 35, though it's decreasing, slowly but surely. I recently had bloodwork done as well.

I was also found to have practically shockingly low Vitamin D levels - 9.4. My nurse who gave me the results told me she'd never seen a level so low in her entire career. I was put on a 6-month prescription of a weekly 50,000IU supplement and then told to re-test. Now that summer is upon us, I'm also going to try to force myself to get a little more sun - I have extremely fair skin and so I wear some kind of SPF on all exposed skin year-round, which obviously contributed to that. I need to find a balance there. But, anyway, my doctor told me it can easily take months and months to fix Vitamin D levels - she didn't even expect me to be where she wants me at my 6 month re-test. So, don't get discouraged there.

With regard to cholesterol, my numbers were outstanding, particularly for someone who is technically obese. My HDL was 67, triglycerides were 69, and LDL was 97. Don't get too caught up on LDL - it's important to keep that low, but it's far more important to keep triglycerides low and even more important to keep HDL high. It sounds like you're doing the right things to raise your HDL, but in order to lower triglycerides you need to decrease grains (really, carbs overall, but you don't want to be cutting out vegetables and moderate amounts of fruit). Trust me, I know how counter-intuitive that sounds, but give it a shot. That's how I eat - lots of "healthy" fats like almonds and olive oil, plenty of fruits and veggies, very few grains (of course a little here and there, but many days none and unless it's an extremely special occasion no more than one serving per day), and lots of protein - including saturated fats. It's almost paleo but not quite (and I'm not shooting for that, just to give you something to compare to).

Just think about it. I totally get what you're saying about physically feeling better eating how you are, but just consider it.

I've added fatty nuts, flax, olive oil, and, of course, veggies and fruits, but adding meats isn't just counterintuitive to me, it's out of the question for me. I am diabetic, my body handles saturated fats differently than a non-diabetic. Eating meat frequently and not restricting saturated fats over the years is what led me to where I am now. I do appreciate the thoughtfulness of your response, though--seriously, it took time and effort, and I appreciate it.

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options

I found this extremely interesting. *I* am O+ and for years and years had a low body temp (of a degree or more below "normal"). I've not gone gluten-free, but I've limited my bread/pasta consumption over the last year or so and my temperature readings are much more "normal" these days. I've never heard this before. Going to have to research.

Kris- Your TSH level is in the normal range (0.5-6.00). Did they do a free T4 test as well? I didn't see that listed. If so, the normal range is 0.7-1.8. I'm hypothyroid (diagnosed 3 years ago) and my most recent tests have my TSH at 2.49 and my Free T4 at 1.5, so my meds are well-regulated at the moment (thankfully). But perhaps what PhoenixEve said above relates to you as well...

Sadly, Jenni, I cannot inspire a physician to test more than my TSH--and I have asked. For years, I've asked. But my insurance will not cover the test, so doctors won't administer it because they say it's not called for. I haven't asked THIS doctor, so, when I see her again in six months, I'll specifically request it. Maybe I can make the family history of thyroid cancer pan into a more in-depth study.

Kris
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options

Sadly, Jenni, I cannot inspire a physician to test more than my TSH--and I have asked. For years, I've asked. But my insurance will not cover the test, so doctors won't administer it because they say it's not called for. I haven't asked THIS doctor, so, when I see her again in six months, I'll specifically request it. Maybe I can make the family history of thyroid cancer pan into a more in-depth study.

Kris

It's not an expensive. Pay for it out of pocket.
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Kris

It's not an expensive. Pay for it out of pocket.

That's a good thought. If she refuses, I'll do exactly that.

Kris