Childhood food pleasures

Options
1235»

Replies

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Creamed peas, shuck beans, anything my grandmother made, but especially her drop biscuits and poor man's gravy and oh my god fried green tomatoes!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Ohhh Bagel Bites. I used to love those. And the cinnamon toast with sugar is another one my mom made frequently. I also remember having a penchant for Magic Shell on Ben & Jerry's Heath Bar Crunch ice cream (aka, how I got fat in high school). And hot dogs with the cheese inside (now gross!!).
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and jelly with doritos or cheetos on it.... and basically being able to just eat whatever garbage all day and have no consequences haha
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My main memories of childhood food is Saturday lunches, we'd always eat together as a family and have things like soup and crusty home bake rolls, hotdogs, or cheese and crackers. The we'd always have a cream cake as a treat, my mum would buy a pack of 4 different ones and I'd always have the chocolate eclair. The soups were sometimes packet mixes you added water to and boiled on the hob but I always thought they were amazing. Especially when we had them in these soup bowls my mum bought that looked like giant teacups. Happy memories! :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon-sugar toast with butter is one for me too.

My mom also used to occasionally make this "dip" for parties (in quotation marks because you'll see...) that was served out of a hollowed-out round of sourdough bread (and eaten with the cubed extra bread from the loaf) and contained the following:

1 can flakes of chicken
    1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
    1 block cream cheese

It was heated in a pot on the stove until the cream cheese melted, then poured into the sourdough, topped with some diced tomato, and stuck in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Still, today, I think it's simultaneously the best and grossest food ever, but it always reminds me of sneaking down to the adult parties when I was little.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Rice with cinnamon, sugar and warm milk.

I also couldn't get enough koolaid. Can't stand it now tho.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My mum used to cut up little pieces of cheese, cucumber and apple, and mix it all up on plates for me and my sister at lunch. I've not eaten that since I was small but I loved it.

I now know that she did it because we were broke and those things were cheap, and cutting them into 'fun bites' for us meant we could both share one apple etc.. That makes me sad now, she probably thought she was failing us with meagre food, but we loved it. We'd sit together and watch cartoons for an hour most lunchtimes, happily munching away on our fun little cubes of food.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and cheese.. I make it for my daughter sometimes, but, I only take a forkful of it as it's a terrible slippery slope for me. lol
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    mac n cheese or mashed potatoes with a little bbq sauce
    peanut butter and maple syrup sandwiches
    raspas and pickles
    I used to eat lucas like there was no tomorrow
    chocolate milk with banana for breakfast (still good :))
  • janelleross
    janelleross Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My godmother used to make my toast, or my bread with both butter, and peanut butter. If it is bread with a meal, then it must be folded in half.

That's the way I still make it to this day, and everyone looks at me like I'm some sort of weirdo.

I love a toasted english muffin with butter and peanut butter.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Minnesota and we all fished ALOT. We would catch and clean many many many sunfish (bluegills to the the rest of the world). My dad would fillet them and mom would deep fry them rolled in cornmeal and pancake flour and make homemade tartar sauce. That would be the whole meal, no sides, just fish. I haven't had a sunfish since my dad passed away 17 years ago but my mouth still waters when I think of that meal
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Some of these stories are making me wistful thinking of my own mom, who died 2 years ago. A single mother, who provided tasty but frugal meals for us. She loved hamburgers and hotdogs "cooked outside". The black edges on the hot dogs were her favorite part, she called them "chocolate hot dogs". :'(o:)<3