Fat Free Milk or Soy Milk?

Options

Replies

• gantzgirl87
    gantzgirl87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The only milk that agrees with my stomach is almond milk (I like the unsweetened vanilla variety). The taste takes a little getting used to, but in smoothies it's not that big of a deal. I say choose whichever you like that fits in your goals.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy like the plague. It's phytoestrogenic, meaning that it mimics the estrogen in your body.

This sounds scary, but what does it actually mean? What specific harm will it cause you?

Soy messes with your hormones. GMO-soy is the cheapest filler in tons of food. No wonder everyone gets thyroid problems, PCOS and other hormonal issues. Young girls get their period earlier than before (8-10yo, while it's was around 12-16 when I was young). Too much estrogen is a cause of breast and ovarian cancer....
    Too much estrogen in men cause issues like low-testosterone, infertility, low sex drive....
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    There are other alternatives: rice milk, coconut, almond, hemp, etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My favorite is organic non-gmo unsweetened soy milk. It has fewer calories than non-fat milk, but still has protein, calcium, and fat. It can be used in many recipes instead of milk. I don't care so much for dairy milk (taste-wise), and used to be lactose intolerant.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Soy messes with your hormones. GMO-soy is the cheapest filler in tons of food. No wonder everyone gets thyroid problems, PCOS and other hormonal issues. Young girls get their period earlier than before (8-10yo, while it's was around 12-16 when I was young). Too much estrogen is a cause of breast and ovarian cancer....
    Too much estrogen in men cause issues like low-testosterone, infertility, low sex drive....

But everyone doesn't have those issues.

Are you referencing specific studies here?

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i think all the soy fear is largely a paper tiger, to be honest.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i think all the soy fear is largely a paper tiger, to be honest.

Same here. I'm not afraid of organic unsweetened soy milk. A couple cups a day should be ok for most healthy people...despite what they say about estrogen. I have a hard time believing a little soy milk is gonna do that to you.
  • jennifershoo
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To be honest, soy is still under studies and the results are still cloudy. What is known is that unfermented soybean has anti-nutrient, anti-thyroid and endocrine disruptor properties.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24440006

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24473985

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22908106

The only benefits I have ever heard of was on postmenopausal women, which makes sense because after menopause, the levels of estrogen (and progesterone) fall.

I don't see it as fear mongering, but rather as being cautious. I will not add more soy to my diet on purpose.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    To be honest, soy is still under studies and the results are still cloudy.

I don't see it as fear mongering, but rather as being cautious. I will not add more soy to my diet on purpose.

But here's the thing: your statements before were very definite and specific. If it is still under study and cloudy, maybe your statements should reflect that.

I understand that you want to avoid it, but I think your earlier statements went way beyond what the evidence shows. After all, I believe some have speculated that dairy may be behind earlier puberty for young women - - but until it is shown to be true, we shouldn't write as if it is.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    To be honest, soy is still under studies and the results are still cloudy.

But here's the thing: your statements before were very definite and specific. If it is still under study and cloudy, maybe your statements should reflect that.

I understand that you want to avoid it, but I think your earlier statements went way beyond what the evidence shows. After all, I believe some have speculated that dairy may be behind earlier puberty for young women - - but until it is shown to be true, we shouldn't write as if it is.
    I guess you missed her next post.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    I guess you missed her next post.

[/quote]

Which post are you referring to? I responded to the last post of hers that I saw in this thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer 2% milk...fat free milk tastes like weird white water and I really don't see the point. Dietary fat is an essential part of a nutritious diet so I don't worry about "fat free".
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Whatever one you like... I use almond milk because I try to stay away from dairy
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond/coconut milk in my cereal and really like it. It isn't that great in coffee, but eh, better than just drinking it black.

I don't care that milk comes from another animal's tits. I was gifted with a genetic mutation that allows me to enjoy lactose laced beverages far into adulthood. So I guess you could say I was bred especially to be able to enjoy it. Anyway, I drink almond milk blends ONLY because of calories. That's it. It has much less calories than skim dairy milk. Otherwise, I'd be first in line to milk the cow/goat/sheep. Nom.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy like the plague. It's phytoestrogenic, meaning that it mimics the estrogen in your body.

This! And I think it tastes gross. As long as you're not lactose intolerant then I'd choose dairy...more cost effective and has more protein.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Full fat or nothing.

SKim milk or 0% fat actually has things added to it to make it look like milk. It tastes watered down as well.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I like milk in oatmeal. Soy milk/almond milk taste weird warm to me. Otherwise w/e?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I think a key question should be why the OP is using fat-free milk as the milk option in this survey. Are you avoiding fat for a reason?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I much prefer full fat milk. But I drink 7-8 milky cups of tea everyday. Using full fat milk would add way too many calories :disappointed:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Too many people think fat is to be avoided, yes, but plenty of other people like fat free or low fat milk because they want to increase protein without increasing fat for the sake of hitting their macros and calories. I enjoy all kinds of dairy products, and thus since I don't like 2% or even skim cottage cheese or greek yogurt less than the full fat variety, I think eating it as a tradeoff for being able to fit in whole eggs and less lean meat and fish and some avocado or maybe more olive oil or cheese depending on the day is a perfectly good tradeoff.