Running (Jogging) vs. Walking

2»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    LJgfg wrote: »
    Guys you rock, thanks for the awesome input. I think i will continue to walk and jog, incrementally increasing my distances for jogging. I actually enjoy jogging more! I am glad i'm actually at point where i can now.

Awesome! Congrats on reaching the running (I detest the word jogging) stage :smiley: As someone who's been doing a walk / run thing for quite awhile trying to get up to speed to do some distance races I did want to offer one warning if you get interested in doing the same thing. I focused for a long time on increasing my pace and distance - and so while I ran more each week, it was still about the same ratio of walking to running because of the increased distance. Long story short, I ended up being able to make the times I wanted - but only because I'd inadvertently taught myself how to speed-walk (which uses different techniques and muscles than running). Whoops! So this season, I'm having to focus on doing much, much shorter distances - but working on those till I can run the whole way before I try increasing back to the 6 to 8 miles I was doing. Good luck!

Lol ... me too (jogger). Joggers were scooting around the block with a colorful sweat band and short OP shorts in the 1970s. We are runners.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I tried to run 6 miles this morning but had to get a ride home because all my muscle wasted away in the first 3 miles and I couldn't walk anymore.

How long had you been running before, you tried to run these 6 miles? Like did you just start running as of late?

Scott is pulling your leg.......he is probably one of the most accomplished runners on this site and was being sarcastic. (we need a sarcasm font)

haha, oh i see! Still kinda new to the forums! lol
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I have tried all the different ways of getting in running shape after several times of going through lazy periods. The best I have found is simply running easy and enforcing that easy with a heart rate monitor.

If you have one go out and keep your effort under 75% max heart rate; walk when needed to keep the heart rate down. You will find yourself, week by week, running more and walking less until you are running the whole way. You will also find your speed increasing for a long time.

Do this for 6 months. The more running you can do the faster it works. On alternate days, rest, walk, or run with your heartrate under 65% max.

Pay attention to how you feel each day. If your legs are feeling fresh and nothing hurts then you can run more often. If your legs start feeling heavy or something is hurting take a rest day or a walk day.

Start taking your morning pulse before you get out of bed. You will find it getting lower over time. If you wake up a couple of days in a row and its getting higher then you need more recovery so take a rest day or a walk day.

The worst ways I have found is any method that includes the words HIIT, sprint, speed, etc. Those will work to a point but you quickly plateau and injury is highly likely. i have tried all of these in too great quantities and too early in training before and have invariably gotten fast quick, but at the cost of a lot of pain, lots of injuries, and invariable burnout leading to my lazy periods LOL.

Wait at least 6 months to include any of that stuff. And even then those things should only be a very small part of training. The rest is easy and relaxing. The kind of run where you finish feeling happy and knowing you could easily turn around and do it again without any problem.

Running is a whole lot simpler than most make it out to be.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    The Couch to 5K program is good if you want to get to where you can run longer times without stopping to walk. I did that program a couple of years ago and got to where i could run for 30 minutes.

I just started back up this past January with a personal trainer twice a week and cardio 3-4 times a week, doing heart rate monitor work on the treadmill and elliptical. I have been alternating between running and walking, following specific heart rate zones, each workout is different. 2 steady state/active recovery workouts, 1 interval (VO2 max) and one pyramid workout. Much to my surprise, since yesterday was pretty outside, i decided to go for a run outside and i ran for 43 minutes without stopping, crushing my previous record! I couldn't believe it, because i am nowhere close to my goal weight.

Long story short for however you do it, I think that consistency along with pushing yourself a little harder each time, is key.
  • jimmmer wrote: »
    They're both fine exercise modalities.

Pick one you enjoy, fits into your schedule and you will do regularly enough to derive the benefit from and continue to improve at.

Walking IS NOT an inferior or slower form of running, it is it's own thing.

This.

I do both, and I feel it in different muscle areas. Though both get me in the butt.
  • CaterinaThrace
    CaterinaThrace Posts: 6 Member
    Like you, I do a bit of both. Where I run around my neighbourhood it is super hilly, up down up down and mostly trail/bush runs so sometimes I wonder whether I should be running more. The hills are killer and I really am not yet at the stage where I can run up them for very long. I just figure - run where you can and walk where you have to, aiming to improve all the time. I'm not sure running really has to be that complicated. I just do it because it makes me feel great and I'm starting to look ok in jeans again!