Walking 10,000 steps

Options

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 10,000 a day. I noticed my first 2 days I wasn't getting anywhere near that. In the hopes of encouraging myself I lowered my steps to 5,000. Then figured when I managed that regularly I'd increase it. But I'm barely hitting 2-3. Anyone pay much attention to theirs or have any suggestions on how to reach the goal?

The stupid answer is obviously walk more, if you work a desk job and find it hard that's BS cause I can pull off 20K steps in a day working my desk job.... 15 min break take the stairs up and down 8 floors twice... lunch ... go for a walk.... break again ... stair time!!! Someone emails you, you walk over and answer their question or speak with them...

Tons of things for you to do .... not sure why you are asking here, you know what you need to do just start doing it stop making excuses.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs and I find that by walking them for 20 min 3 times a day it helps me achieve my 10,000 steps
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and on a day without a meeting I usually make 7000 steps... of course I always intend to do more when I get home but by then I am usually shattered so its not often I break the 10,000 - but it has been known! And it feels great! Some weekends when out for a stroll somewhere nice I have done nearly 20,000 without really realising. My garmin vivofit started with a 5,000 step goal and it increases (and decreases) your goal according to how many steps you do. I still have 4500 to go today (and I have a meeting) so its probably an under 7k for me today. :\
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I work for a big world wide corporation. In order to help their employees get healthy they are doing a challenge. Anyone who wants to participate can sign up and get a free Virgin Pulse Max. You can also sync in your Fitbits if you have those as well. The goal is to get at lest 7,000 steps a day. You get extra points if you get 10,000 day. The team at the end of the challenge with the most steps get a big prize. The challenge runs from 3/23 through 5/4 and then you'll have until 5/9 to upload your steps. I was so excited for this since I have just stated on my journey. All these wonderful tips for getting in more walking have been fantastic! Thank you all for them and wish me and my team luck!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm really curious now. May need to invest in a fitbit. If nothing else it might spur me on...

Why not go to Sports Authority, Mo's, etc get a cheap old school pedometer? If you're just interested in achieving any step goal, and not for tech integration, you can get one for like ten bucks.

I tried comparing, the apps for smartphones were pretty far off from my belt worn pedometer, in some cases by hundreds of steps.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 10,000 a day. I noticed my first 2 days I wasn't getting anywhere near that. In the hopes of encouraging myself I lowered my steps to 5,000. Then figured when I managed that regularly I'd increase it. But I'm barely hitting 2-3. Anyone pay much attention to theirs or have any suggestions on how to reach the goal?

On Monday through Friday I can hit 10,000 steps however I work in a 500,000sqft manufacturing facility. If I didn't work in that type of environment I would have zero chance for hitting 10,000 steps. None.
  • ashlygraves
    Options

The stupid answer is obviously walk more, if you work a desk job and find it hard that's BS cause I can pull off 20K steps in a day working my desk job.... 15 min break take the stairs up and down 8 floors twice... lunch ... go for a walk.... break again ... stair time!!! Someone emails you, you walk over and answer their question or speak with them...

Tons of things for you to do .... not sure why you are asking here, you know what you need to do just start doing it stop making excuses.

I'm a stay at home mom who home schools my 4 kids. So I spend more of my day sitting at a table helping them learn things than I do anything else. I'm also a military wife so the luxury of taking long walks alone isn't there since he works a lot and can't always watch the kids. My kids wouldn't be able to do those kind of walks. Obviously I know I need to walk more but I was looking for out of the box suggestions on how to increase my steps not snarky remarks. Having kids makes this part a little more difficult for me. Not impossible. Just difficult. So I'm not making excuses I'm looking for ways to make this happen for myself so I can't make them!
  • ashlygraves
    Options
    I work for a big world wide corporation. In order to help their employees get healthy they are doing a challenge. Anyone who wants to participate can sign up and get a free Virgin Pulse Max. You can also sync in your Fitbits if you have those as well. The goal is to get at lest 7,000 steps a day. You get extra points if you get 10,000 day. The team at the end of the challenge with the most steps get a big prize. The challenge runs from 3/23 through 5/4 and then you'll have until 5/9 to upload your steps. I was so excited for this since I have just stated on my journey. All these wonderful tips for getting in more walking have been fantastic! Thank you all for them and wish me and my team luck!

That's awesome!!! Good luck. My goal today is to increase my steps. Ive only got myself to challenge, hence why I was looking for ideas and support, so that's great your team does this!!
  • ashlygraves
    Options
    Leanbean65 wrote: »
    I have two dogs and I find that by walking them for 20 min 3 times a day it helps me achieve my 10,000 steps

I have 2 dogs also. I can't usually walk them both because one sucks on a leash lol. He's a little special but we love him. Yesterday I walked them separately for 10 mins each to increase my steps. But my hubby was home so that made it easier since walking with 4 kids plus dog is kind of a nightmare for me. Maybe I'll make this my evening challenge when hubs is home. Hmm...thanks for the idea. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I'm a stay at home mom who home schools my 4 kids. So I spend more of my day sitting at a table helping them learn things than I do anything else. I'm also a military wife so the luxury of taking long walks alone isn't there since he works a lot and can't always watch the kids. My kids wouldn't be able to do those kind of walks. Obviously I know I need to walk more but I was looking for out of the box suggestions on how to increase my steps not snarky remarks. Having kids makes this part a little more difficult for me. Not impossible. Just difficult. So I'm not making excuses I'm looking for ways to make this happen for myself so I can't make them!

Schedule recess! Field trips! Even something as simple as a walk to the park the kids can be a learning experience and exercise for all of you!

• ashlygraves
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Schedule recess! Field trips! Even something as simple as a walk to the park the kids can be a learning experience and exercise for all of you!

Family fitness! Love it. Not sure why this wasn't my automatic way of thinking but I am inspired now. My poor family won't know what hit them!! Lol
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Yep. How old are your kids? My eldest is at school and they don't just sit on their backsides all day. (He's nearly 6). They do things like go on a dinosaur hunt, or go to look for bugs. They have half hour for break time and an hour for lunch time when they can run around on the field or their playground.

I'm a secondary school teacher and even teenagers get breaks so they can play basketball/football (soccer), run around etc.

Surely you could have trips out to look for things, or walk round a museum or something.

My kids can walk for miles too (well, not the 10 month old) so we go out a lot.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have had my Fitbit One for about 3 years now and LOVE it! I find it really pushes me to get in more steps. I aim for a minimum of 8K-10K steps per day. I usually walk in place most of the time - 15 minutes in the morning at home, as many minutes as I can when I get to work earlier, I have 30 minutes for lunch and will walk about 20 minutes of that. After supper at home I walk in place while I crochet :smile:
  • minminmoo
    Options
    I get up early come rain or shine and walk for 20 - 30 mins. It's a good way to start the day. I have a Fitbit and I pay attention to it lots. I get cross if I don't make 10,000 a day and will go out again for another walk in the evening to ensure I do. I've even hit 20,000 twice! October last year I struggled to walk around the block but now I can walk 13km. Just keep moving
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I first got my Fitbit (I have the Zip) I was getting generally about 2-3000 steps per day. I have a job that keeps me sitting at a desk or in meetings most of the day. But I slowly worked to up how much I was walking - both in taking short breaks from my desk to walk around, and also adding in exercise after work so I'm not going directly home and sitting on the couch the rest of the evening - and I now average about 20,000 steps per day.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin vivofit and I try to increase my steps by 500 a week if I meet the goal I have at least 5/7 days. I've been sick the last month so I haven't been meeting my goal of 10,000 except one or two days when work is really busy, but I'm better now, so I'm back up to doing 10,000 a day and then I'll increase it by 500 a week if I meet my goal 5/7 days
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Well, it's very exciting to increase your steps. It really does make a difference in a lot of ways! :smile: I look forward to your stories of family fitness and all those extra steps you figure out how to take! Sounds like you are a very busy mother, and you'll be doing a very good thing for your family by taking care of yourself now -- not later. Best of luck!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent app for an android phone that can measure steps? I don't have a fitbit or any of those devices. I'd bet I wouldn't even reach 1000 steps a day :disappointed:

Runtastic Pedometer
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Its great to be more active and everybody should make it a goal. But I stopped stressing about the magical 10,000 mark a while ago.

If I don't get a run in in the morning, I never come close to 10k in the winter. Even with a 2 mile run, I barely hit it. I've still managed to lose 60 lbs and feel as though I'm getting decent work outs in 5-6 days per week.

That said, knowing your steps/daily activity level is crucial information to have in the calorie counting world. If you're barely hitting 3-4k steps a day, its important not to tell MFP that you are active and get extra calories that you don't typically burn.

Lastly, slightly related, there are great groups here that have exercise ideas for moms. I work full time, but still try to be active with my kids in the evening and weekends. Youtube some kids workout videos and do them with them. Or if you need a quick study break, I would recommend the gummy bear just dance video on youtube for all ages. The funniest 3 minutes of your day.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Sometimes, if I need just a few extra steps, I turn on some music and dance around, mostly in place. Totally something you could do while still in the house/watching the kids.

Everybody has challenges--just keep looking for ways that you CAN make this happen!