Walking 10,000 steps

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent app for an android phone that can measure steps? I don't have a fitbit or any of those devices. I'd bet I wouldn't even reach 1000 steps a day :disappointed:

You probably do. When I am in bed sick I still get 2-3000 steps for the day.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    they don't count steps ... eg fitbit is on your arm so it's counting your arm movement, and not your feet.

• azulvioleta6
    Options
    they don't count steps ... eg fitbit is on your arm so it's counting your arm movement, and not your feet.

Not the Fitbit Zip, which is what I have. I wear it on my shirt or bra.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent app for an android phone that can measure steps? I don't have a fitbit or any of those devices. I'd bet I wouldn't even reach 1000 steps a day :disappointed:

You probably do. When I am in bed sick I still get 2-3000 steps for the day.

I'm really curious now. May need to invest in a fitbit. If nothing else it might spur me on...

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think the highest I have is like 6k and that includes 20 mins in a treadmill.

I don't pay too much attention to it. I picked sedentary for a reason in the mfp settings.

Not going to get many steps sitting at a desk for 8 hours including a 30 min lunch break.

• Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Its actually pretty darn accurate, even on your arm. I compared it to many devices in many different ways. For instance, it doesn't count any steps if you are using that arm to push a stroller or cart. It is also really difficult to swing your arm only for steps without the bounce from actual steps (not impossible by any means, but you have to be trying). All of these things roughly counteract missed or extra steps.

I also compared the calorie function to my HRM AND a body media armband. All within 100 calories of each other over a 2 week period of varying activity. I no longer wear my armband (so uncomfortable) - only the Fitbit, and the HRM/Garmin for runs.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

So it counts boob movement? Isn't that worse than arm movement for counting steps?
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit challenges between friends are motivating for me. I averaged 30k steps/day last week because of them - competition was fierce lol. I will now aim for 20k/day...30k was too much. I spent a lot of late nights on my treadmill lol.
  • ashlygraves
    Options
    My iPhone 6 counts steps. But I don't always have it on me. I'm trying to be more aware of that now so I can remember to take it with when I'm walking.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Not going to get many steps sitting at a desk for 8 hours including a 30 min lunch break.

Most of us sit at a desk for 8 hours a day and manage to do it anyhow.

30 minute lunch break=2 miles or 4,000 steps. Not to mention that there are 16 other hours in the day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This might sound really dumb but what's the thought behind walking 10,000 steps a day?

I get to eat an extra 350-450 calories per day when I hit 10K based on my zip

4-5000 steps = 30 minute lunchtime walk

To hit MFP sedentary activity level is around 2500 steps

if I'm lazy and lounging around and don't make myself walk (which never happens any more because the dog is so used to his park / woods walks) then I struggle to hit that
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

So it counts boob movement? Isn't that worse than arm movement for counting steps?

Clearly you do not own any breasts. :)

No, the center part of my bra does not move unless I am moving my whole body.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Yes, some of us compete with each other and with family members. I've been sick for the last two weeks so my step totals have been atrocious, but usually I am in the 100,000 step range for any given week.

This time of year my challenge is that I am doing a lot of gardening. It feels like a decent casual workout, but it really doesn't earn very many steps.

Great idea competing! Do you do that on here with other MFP or with your family/friends??

I use a Fitbit, and there is a "friends" function on the dashboard there.

One of my main motivations is that my 73-year-old father is constantly beating me, even when I am walking 50 miles a week. I'm extremely competitive and it drives me nuts to let him beat me.

What is a Fitbit?

It's a pedometer. I have this one. I got it because it was the cheapest option, but I think that it really works better for me than the wristband-types would. I like being able to hide it under my clothes--I can even wear it when I am dressed up and nobody can tell that I have it on. There are lots of other brands out there. Some people also use smartphone apps to track steps.

https://fitbit.com/zip#i.ynlybsgsieiuyf
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes, some of us compete with each other and with family members. I've been sick for the last two weeks so my step totals have been atrocious, but usually I am in the 100,000 step range for any given week.

This time of year my challenge is that I am doing a lot of gardening. It feels like a decent casual workout, but it really doesn't earn very many steps.

Great idea competing! Do you do that on here with other MFP or with your family/friends??

I use a Fitbit, and there is a "friends" function on the dashboard there.

One of my main motivations is that my 73-year-old father is constantly beating me, even when I am walking 50 miles a week. I'm extremely competitive and it drives me nuts to let him beat me.

What is a Fitbit?

It's a pedometer. I have this one. I got it because it was the cheapest option, but I think that it really works better for me than the wristband-types would. I like being able to hide it under my clothes--I can even wear it when I am dressed up and nobody can tell that I have it on. There are lots of other brands out there. Some people also use smartphone apps to track steps.

https://fitbit.com/zip#i.ynlybsgsieiuyf

I've also got the zip ...I downgraded from the flex and much prefer it as I wear it on my waistband or in my bra and get to wear bracelets too ..the flex was accurate too just a little more ugly
  • macphile
    macphile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    On the weekends, assuming the weather is decent, I go for a walk on a nearby hike/bike trail. A "long walk" of that is a little over 4 miles, I think, and is 10,000 steps in one walk. I'll normally exceed that by 1000-3000 over 24 hours, with shopping and other activities.

At work, I have a bit of a walk to and from my car--maybe half a mile each way. Then there's a semi-official walking path in the building--5 laps around it is a mile. I do 2 laps in the morning and usually 2 in the afternoon. After lunch, I do a 5-lap power walk (very brisk, to music).
  • mineboy
    mineboy Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    have been doing 10,000-11,000 steps ever day,,, love walking. for me its my stress release in life. happy to be friends with anybody.
    Vin from Australia
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I do not feel like I walk that much, but hit 8000-10000 steps pretty regularly on my Garmin Vivofit. I'm getting a little concerned though that it's inaccurate. I rarely take deliberate walks, just go about my day. I work at home though so I don't sit at a desk for 8 hours, can that be it?? Just walking around the house?
    I'm usually at 5000 steps within 5 hours of getting up, but I don't do anything specific...

Any time I do a "test calibration" on it and count steps while walking back and forth across the house, it is right on.
  • mjohnson1twenty
    mjohnson1twenty Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i walk 15k steps, 7 miles daily... unless something interferes with my workout. it usually takes me 2 hrs 15 min to finish my morning walks. i walk outside when i can but if weather doesn't permit that i walk in my house... i use a Fitbit One. good luck with your fitness journey...
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have the Fitbit flex, I bought a replacement band that's not as ugly as the one that came with it. I participate in several challenges at any given time, this weekend I averaged 17K per day, though my normal numbers are closer to 12K but have been as high as 35K per day and as low as 7500. I have a few days at less than 5K but that's because I tend to forget to charge it, then not notice it's dead. If I'm running low on steps I've done all sorts of crazy stuff. Like taking one article of clothing out of the drier, walking upstairs to put it away, then back down to the laundry room for the next item. Since I have a super capacity drier this can equal 15-30 individual trips upstairs per load. I've done the opposite to load the washer. One night I convinced hubby to take a walk at 9pm to get ahead in the challenge, we ended up walking 7 miles (my friend ended up beating me by 3 freaking steps).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. I liked my Zip better, since it's smaller and I don't use the stairs or sleep functions anyway, but I had to upgrade because changing batteries became tedious. I don't do 10,000 steps either, but I would randomly look at my steps throughout the day and feel the urge to complete a 1000, so I just walk around the house. I average 8000 steps, which includes a shorts walk/run in the morning.