How do you know if there's anymore weight to be lost?

Options
I am 0.6lbs off my goal, but still have a fair amount of (what I can only assume is) fat on my legs/butt. I have never been able to get below 120lbs yet the little bit of fat still sticks on me like it's life depends on it. I'm not sure if it'll just go over time without having much effect weight wise, or if I should be aiming for more 115lbs? Seems pretty low though!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If that after photo is you it doesn't look like you have any fat on your legs or anywhere for that matter.

Have an accurate body fat percentage test it will tell you if you have any excess fat to lose. DEXA is a good.

Other than that focus on lean body mass improvement rather than weight loss,
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If that after photo is you it doesn't look like you have any fat on your legs or anywhere for that matter.

Have an accurate body fat percentage test it will tell you if you have any excess fat to lose. DEXA is a good.

Other than that focus on lean body mass improvement rather than weight loss,

Thanks - yes it is me. Front on my legs don't look as fat, they do from the back/side. I'm really tempted to get my BF% measured - perhaps I will. I think it's more a smidge of left over fat than weight as such now.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Losing more weight, e.g. that 5lbs you mentioned, won't necessarily improve the look of your legs (they look just fine to me now anyway, but obviously it's your body, you have to walk around in it). You are probably better off focusing on body composition than more weight loss. There is plenty of good advice in the stickies regarding that if you're interested.

I have varied between 6st 10lbs and 10st in my adult life, and never had model perfect legs. I've just accepted now that I do carry weight on my legs and hips, and focus on making them as good and strong as is possible for me. You need some 'left over fat' anyway! It's normal and healthy.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Losing more weight, e.g. that 5lbs you mentioned, won't necessarily improve the look of your legs (they look just fine to me now anyway, but obviously it's your body, you have to walk around in it). You are probably better off focusing on body composition than more weight loss. There is plenty of good advice in the stickies regarding that if you're interested.

I have varied between 6st 10lbs and 10st in my adult life, and never had model perfect legs. I've just accepted now that I do carry weight on my legs and hips, and focus on making them as good and strong as is possible for me. You need some 'left over fat' anyway! It's normal and healthy.

Thanks - yeah I know I need some, just not happy with the amount I have as I look slightly out of proportion in comparison to my stomach.

I just set my diary setting to 'maintain weight' and it's suggested 1800 calories a day, would you say that's a good amount to stay at around 120lbs and work on burning fat?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Women often seem to be their own worst critics and focus on what they perceive to be their flaws rather the positives.
    If your before/after pictures were of a friend rather than yourself wouldn't you think they have done brilliantly and are looking great?

It may take a while to get used to the "new you" but think that's what you should do. Just spend a while getting used to maintenance. You will find that your body will continue to change in positive ways at maintenance as long as you keep up your healthy habits - maintenance isn't really the end, just a different phase.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm a similar weight and eat just a little bit more than that (plus exercise calories), and I've been moderately successful trying to do a similar thing as you are - although I was mainly trying to banish cellulite! My legs are definitely firmer now and less 'wobbly' than they were a few years ago. It took me a really long time though, which was fine for me because I was in no rush, but there are more efficient ways to lose fat and gain muscle.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Having set my diary to maintenance it's now at 1800 calories a day with 225.0 g carbs, 60g fat, 90g protein.

Thoughts? Carbs seems loads, I usually have 150-200g a day. I also only have 20-30g fat per day too (not intentional - just the way it plays out with what I eat)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what does your training regimen consist of?
  • katiejanecollins
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Monday: 30 mins cardio (with some interval training)
    Wednesday: 30 mins cardio (with some interval training)
    Friday: 20 minute run
    Saturday: 30 mins cardio (with some interval training + 15-30 minutes strength
    Sunday: 30 mins cardio (with some interval training + 15-30 minutes strength
  • ndj1979
    Options

have you ever thought about adding in strength training? A program like starting strength, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman would help a lot….

why so much cardio?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

have you ever thought about adding in strength training? A program like starting strength, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman would help a lot….

why so much cardio?

I began strength training on Saturday so it's minimal at the moment whilst I get used to it (was in agony yesterday!). Will take a look at those programs :smile:

I love cardio! Makes me feel great, and really wakes me up before work :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

why so much cardio?

I began strength training on Saturday so it's minimal at the moment whilst I get used to it (was in agony yesterday!). Will take a look at those programs :smile:

well, if you love it then keep doing it.

I think that adding a structured lifting program + eating at maintenance level will do a lot of good for your body comp goals.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

why so much cardio?

well, if you love it then keep doing it.

I think that adding a structured lifting program + eating at maintenance level will do a lot of good for your body comp goals.

Thanks - appreciate the replies :)
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Is it just me :blush: Please do not shoot me on the spot, as I can fully appreciate the effort that has gone in, but I find your before picture a lot "healthier" than you post-picture. No offense, continue the workouts, but muscle requires "food" as well
    And you know there is no more weight to loose when you are always cold, even in summer ...
  • dannytso123
    dannytso123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Great progress and congrats on being so close to your goal weight. Looking at your training regime perhaps you can now lower the amount of cardio and add in some resistance training. Resistance training coupled with adequate energy supply and protein will help you gain more lean body mass thus raise your metabolism and burn more fat. Doing cardio only is great for burning more calories from fat during the exercise but if you are not eating enough calories your body may use some muscle in response which will lead to less fat burning at rest and a softer look.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Is it just me :blush: Please do not shoot me on the spot, as I can fully appreciate the effort that has gone in, but I find your before picture a lot "healthier" than you post-picture. No offense, continue the workouts, but muscle requires "food" as well
    And you know there is no more weight to loose when you are always cold, even in summer ...

What do you mean? I eat food haha :) Also what do you mean by 'there is no more weight to loose when you are always cold, even in summer'?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Hi there,

Great progress and congrats on being so close to your goal weight. Looking at your training regime perhaps you can now lower the amount of cardio and add in some resistance training. Resistance training coupled with adequate energy supply and protein will help you gain more lean body mass thus raise your metabolism and burn more fat. Doing cardio only is great for burning more calories from fat during the exercise but if you are not eating enough calories your body may use some muscle in response which will lead to less fat burning at rest and a softer look.

Thank you :) What sort of resistance workouts would you recommend?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I am 0.6lbs off my goal, but still have a fair amount of (what I can only assume is) fat on my legs/butt. I have never been able to get below 120lbs yet the little bit of fat still sticks on me like it's life depends on it. I'm not sure if it'll just go over time without having much effect weight wise, or if I should be aiming for more 115lbs? Seems pretty low though!

I call it body composition, idk if that is "right" but it works for me... instead of having a weight goal, start focusing on changing your body composition (how you look).
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

I call it body composition, idk if that is "right" but it works for me... instead of having a weight goal, start focusing on changing your body composition (how you look).

I think that focussing on body composition is the best option for me in that case! Is that achievable with 1800 calories a day?
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I would add in strength training. You don't really have much to lose at this point, so if you want to see a "difference" in your legs you need to build muscle.

There are all sorts of beginner programs out there. Do you have a gym with a full set of weights/equipment? Most beginner programs will have you focus on the big compound lifts: Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, rows, etc. How much you do and what you do depends on how often you plan on training.