How do you know if there's anymore weight to be lost?

Options
2»

Replies

• katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    Like others have said, I would add in strength training. You don't really have much to lose at this point, so if you want to see a "difference" in your legs you need to build muscle.

There are all sorts of beginner programs out there. Do you have a gym with a full set of weights/equipment? Most beginner programs will have you focus on the big compound lifts: Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, rows, etc. How much you do and what you do depends on how often you plan on training.

Yes my gym does have all that - as I said a few comments up I started doing this on Saturday, two days a week for now but will increase as I get used to it :)
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The general advice (but of course there are a million options) is to train each muscle twice a week with enough time between you aren't feeling too cruddy and you are recovering enough. So for twice a week I would do a "full body workout" spaced as far apart as possible (maybe every 3-4 days).

That will keep you going pretty well for a while, but eventually as you lift heavier and heavier you most likely will be too wiped out to do a full body workout in one session. I would die if I did upper and lower in the same day haha, but the first 3-4 months I started lifting it wasn't too tiring.

So just listen to your body and see how it goes :) If you hit a point you either can't put on any more weight or you're so exhausted you can't function between workouts you'll need to split it up a bit differently.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    The general advice (but of course there are a million options) is to train each muscle twice a week with enough time between you aren't feeling too cruddy and you are recovering enough. So for twice a week I would do a "full body workout" spaced as far apart as possible (maybe every 3-4 days).

That will keep you going pretty well for a while, but eventually as you lift heavier and heavier you most likely will be too wiped out to do a full body workout in one session. I would die if I did upper and lower in the same day haha, but the first 3-4 months I started lifting it wasn't too tiring.

So just listen to your body and see how it goes :) If you hit a point you either can't put on any more weight or you're so exhausted you can't function between workouts you'll need to split it up a bit differently.

So what kind of things do you do for each muscle and how often?
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Right now I do an upper/lower split. There are tons of exercises for each muscle group... http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ has a huge list of them. Obviously you could never do ALL of those haha, just showing how many options you have.

You can tailor a workout to whatever you want. Right now I do an upper/lower split.

Upper:
    Bench press (chest)
    Shoulder press (shoulders)
    Lat pull downs or pull ups (lats/upper back)
    Barbel rows (back)
    Biceps curls (biceps)
    Tricep extensions (triceps)

Lower:
    Squats (legs, butt)
    Deadlifts (one day conventional, one day Romanian) (legs, butt, lower back)
    Ab work
    Sometimes I do lunges in place of squats.

Either way I would not recommend doing all of that above in one day haha. Squats and deadlifts on top of a whole upper body workout would probably kill me. You can Google workout routine ideas there are schedules for anyone depending on how often you train and what you want to do.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Also what do you mean by 'there is no more weight to loose when you are always cold, even in summer'?

At one point I had lost 5 stone, and I was always cold (probably because of the lack of fat) ... even whilst on a cruise in the Mediterranean ... brrr

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Take a look at some programs: Strong lifts 5x5, starting strength, new rules of lifting for women...

Yes, you can do wonders lifting on your 1800 calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Right now I do an upper/lower split. There are tons of exercises for each muscle group... http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ has a huge list of them. Obviously you could never do ALL of those haha, just showing how many options you have.

You can tailor a workout to whatever you want. Right now I do an upper/lower split.

Upper:
    Bench press (chest)
    Shoulder press (shoulders)
    Lat pull downs or pull ups (lats/upper back)
    Barbel rows (back)
    Biceps curls (biceps)
    Tricep extensions (triceps)

Lower:
    Squats (legs, butt)
    Deadlifts (one day conventional, one day Romanian) (legs, butt, lower back)
    Ab work
    Sometimes I do lunges in place of squats.

Either way I would not recommend doing all of that above in one day haha. Squats and deadlifts on top of a whole upper body workout would probably kill me. You can Google workout routine ideas there are schedules for anyone depending on how often you train and what you want to do.

I would highly recommend that one get on a structured program that is designed by a pro rather then just building your own.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

do starting strength- strong lifts or new rules of lifting- or strong curves.

don't worry about doing splits right now.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll try and maintain 120lbs and focus on strength as well as cardio now :)
  • dannytso123
    dannytso123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Great progress and congrats on being so close to your goal weight. Looking at your training regime perhaps you can now lower the amount of cardio and add in some resistance training. Resistance training coupled with adequate energy supply and protein will help you gain more lean body mass thus raise your metabolism and burn more fat. Doing cardio only is great for burning more calories from fat during the exercise but if you are not eating enough calories your body may use some muscle in response which will lead to less fat burning at rest and a softer look.

Thank you :) What sort of resistance workouts would you recommend?

Because your main goal is fat loss, its best to choose exercises that use multiple muscle groups (compound exercises) at once to maximize the amount of calories burned during exercise and after when your body repairs and rebuilds these muscles.

Examples of compound exercises include:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Chest Press
    Shoulder Press
    Seated Row
    Lat Pull Down

Try to limit exercises that focus on just one muscle ie. bicep curl (unless you have seriously weak biceps).

To get a muscle building effect you will have to aim for a weight that you can do maximum of 8 - 10 repetitions of. If you are a beginner at weight training then you probably should learn how to do these exercises properly with proper form and at lower weights to decrease your chance of injury. I recommend starting on the machines rather than free weights. Be safe and all the best to your progress!

- Danny

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I too, feel like I am disproportioned at the moment. My upper body looks great. My lower body looks ok too, but it looks like I'm the top half of a thin person and the bottom half of a chubby person. I'm exaggerating of course, but I carry my extra fat in my butt and hips. Right now I'm not actively trying to lose weight, but rather gain muscle. I'm happy with where I am, but it's not where I want to be 6 months from now. I have quite a bit more fat than you do though. I look closer to your before picture than your after picture.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Hi there,

Great progress and congrats on being so close to your goal weight. Looking at your training regime perhaps you can now lower the amount of cardio and add in some resistance training. Resistance training coupled with adequate energy supply and protein will help you gain more lean body mass thus raise your metabolism and burn more fat. Doing cardio only is great for burning more calories from fat during the exercise but if you are not eating enough calories your body may use some muscle in response which will lead to less fat burning at rest and a softer look.

Thank you :) What sort of resistance workouts would you recommend?

Because your main goal is fat loss, its best to choose exercises that use multiple muscle groups (compound exercises) at once to maximize the amount of calories burned during exercise and after when your body repairs and rebuilds these muscles.

Examples of compound exercises include:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Chest Press
    Shoulder Press
    Seated Row
    Lat Pull Down

Try to limit exercises that focus on just one muscle ie. bicep curl (unless you have seriously weak biceps).

To get a muscle building effect you will have to aim for a weight that you can do maximum of 8 - 10 repetitions of. If you are a beginner at weight training then you probably should learn how to do these exercises properly with proper form and at lower weights to decrease your chance of injury. I recommend starting on the machines rather than free weights. Be safe and all the best to your progress!

- Danny

Thanks Danny that's great advice :smile:
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    I too, feel like I am disproportioned at the moment. My upper body looks great. My lower body looks ok too, but it looks like I'm the top half of a thin person and the bottom half of a chubby person. I'm exaggerating of course, but I carry my extra fat in my butt and hips. Right now I'm not actively trying to lose weight, but rather gain muscle. I'm happy with where I am, but it's not where I want to be 6 months from now. I have quite a bit more fat than you do though. I look closer to your before picture than your after picture.

Sounds like we're in the same boat! Let me know if you do anything that helps with the leg/butt area!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you want a good leg/butt lifting programme than I'd do Strong Curves. It's made for women and is all about the legs and bum (plus other moves for other parts of the body, but focused on lower).