Parents of Young Kids - Do You Tell Them About MFP?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think what you are doing is great, especially modeling strength and the desire to get better at what you do. I don't have children of my own, but I really don't believe one should walk on eggshells in front of their children. They would pick up on that more than they would on issues like dieting, self-image...etc.

I say that because when I was a kid my aunts dieted and counted calories all the time. My mom fad-dieted for a month once a year after our visit to my grandparents where she tends to gain weight (and she still does it to this day). I remember thinking of calories like a game or a way to prove I'm "smart" to my aunts. The 5 year old me would go like "I know there are so and so calories in this and that without having to look it up!". None of that ever registered on a personal level or had any effect on my self-image. First time I tried to diet I was 18 and excited to look good in college (and good meant being overweight rather than obese). I dabbled a few times after that for fun to join a friend or out of curiosity, nothing serious, but only really started to get serious 3 years ago after a health scare.

My point is, if the household is a safe place, and they feel you love them, everything is going to be alright. there is not one particular parenting recipe of perfection, and food issues more often than not have a much deeper cause than being aware how food affects our weight. No one "contracts" eating disorder or poor self-image.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There was a thread awhile back where a bunch of parents were asking for MFP to allow kids (right now it's 18 and over). I was honestly very surprised that so many parents would want that. I mean, I weigh out my broccoli. And that's fine for me, but if I were a parent I don't think I'd want that for my kids.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Your 8yo is dieting? That makes me really sad.

I have 7yo twins. I do NOT talk about it. Obviously they know I'm weighing my food, and that I exercise, but that's pretty much it. And that sometimes I won't have noodles/potatoes for dinner. They however heard more at school about what is healthy and what isn't, and sometimes they ask me if something is healthy. My answer is that some things are just fine but must be eaten in moderation.

• barbiereynolds701
    barbiereynolds701 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My almost 6yr comes up to me and grabs.my belly fat, moves it.around a little bit and says, "you only have to lose this much before your skinny like me mom!" Bahahahahaha. She is so funny!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be 12 next month. She knows about mfp. I talkto her about it. I mainly explained what's healthy and about eating disorders. I talk to my kids about everything.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs,(a third of my former weight) so yeah, my kids picked up on that. I talk about keeping treats as "sometimes" foods, enjoying physical activity, and eating healthy meals. I also keep a basic food guide pyramid on my fridge and we talk about how to select a healthy meal from the catagories.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't make a big deal about it. My oldest knows what healthy foods and unhealthy foods are and she learns it from school as well from me. She knows that junk food is a treat. The kids see me workout and they usually try to do it with me. I think if I were sitting around complaining that I was "fat" or saying "I can't eat that because I am on a diet" or something then yeah, that wouldn't be good. But just being concious about what you eat and getting exercise? I don't see the harm in them seeing that.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about MFP with my 5 year old but we do talk about eating healthy and feeding our bodies to be strong. He also likes to "exercise" with us by doing yoga and using little weights and we like to practice various sports in the yard and go hike.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Whats a diet? I just come here for the fun times. I have a 2 and 4 year old. We talk about good food and exercise. Its a way of life.

The hardest part is finding sports and physical activities to do with them at that age.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Mine are 14, 11, and 8. They see that I exercise and eat normal food. They do not see that I log calories or anything like that. That isn't anything they need to concern themselves with.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My son is 10. I do talk to him about healthy choices and portion size. For example, he wanted a doughnut in the morning on a day I knew we would be having dessert after dinner. I explained about how we need to choose our treats and only have them occasionally. (He chose not to have the doughnut and have the dessert later instead.) He loves pistachios, and I have him weigh out a serving on my food scale so he is aware of what a true portion looks like. I don't, however, say I am doing this because I am fat or want to lose weight. I talk about how I want to fuel my body and what I want to accomplish physically (run faster, or farther, etc.).
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My boys are 9 and 7. I don't talk about calories in front of them, only to my husband. We talk about healthy eating and foods that energize and help them grow tall. Dessert is not a daily thing in our house and more of a treat because of it. Since I do the shopping, they eat what I buy for snacks...like apples or graham crackers or goldfish. They never ever hear me say I need to lose weight. When I work out, they state what I state...We do it to be healthy. I grew up in a house where my dad would weigh me and then berate me for being overweight, especially in my teen years. When I was in 8th grade I was given a goal of 110lbs...if I hit that I would get a new wardrobe. I got to 114 lbs by the assigned time. I got nothing. It sucked and I felt horrible. I won't put my kids through that. I want to lead by example and so far, it seems ok.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm open about it because it concerns my health. I have about 30-35 to lose and they know it is difficult because of my thyroid. My boys are 6 and 4 and know that meat helps grow muscles and if they're getting full, I prefer they finish their vegetables instead of noodles, desserts or treats are small, they don't get juice at every meal. We eat sensibly and I answer their questions when they arise. I even explained my gall bladder problem and what my surgery would be like a couple years ago. They love hearing about how the body works and are not worried about theirs because we talk about how to take care of them, no negative comments about how I feel about my extra weight. It's all about how you present the topic.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    My boys are 9 and 7. I don't talk about calories in front of them, only to my husband. We talk about healthy eating and foods that energize and help them grow tall. Dessert is not a daily thing in our house and more of a treat because of it. Since I do the shopping, they eat what I buy for snacks...like apples or graham crackers or goldfish. They never ever hear me say I need to lose weight. When I work out, they state what I state...We do it to be healthy. I grew up in a house where my dad would weigh me and then berate me for being overweight, especially in my teen years. When I was in 8th grade I was given a goal of 110lbs...if I hit that I would get a new wardrobe. I got to 114 lbs by the assigned time. I got nothing. It sucked and I felt horrible. I won't put my kids through that. I want to lead by example and so far, it seems ok.

I am so sorry for this. Well done for protecting your children (and their future girlfriends, wives and children) from that hurt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just try to be the best possible roll models we can be where nutrition and fitness and everything else is concerned.

No...they don't know about MFP...they don't know about "dieting"...they know about eating well and getting out there and riding bikes and being active and whatnot. They see mommy and daddy eating well and exercising and we do a lot of recreational exercise as a family...i.e. hiking, biking, walking the dog, etc.

My old gym used to have a "daddy and me" gym time too that was pretty cool, but me and my kiddos and a couple other guys were the only ones that ever showed up so they canceled the program...too bad...it was a good thing to do and introduced the kiddos to the gym.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm an oddball. I've lost 72 pounds, so yes, my girls (7, 9) know about MFP and why I'm trying to become healthier. I don't see an issue with it and I'm certainly not ruining their childhood.

I told them that I made bad choices, and became overweight and unhealthy. Now they know I'm making good choices and becoming healthy. They see me do my yoga and lift my weights and weigh my food. They know we have sometimes food and always food. They know that moderation is important, and so is staying active.

They also know that at their ages, calorie counting and weighing your food aren't necessary and that we have to fuel growing bodies.

I don't frame it as a weight thing, but a health thing - they know I had to be put on medications for my health and that losing so much weight allowed me to go off of some of my medications.

Honestly, I'm teaching my kids the things I wish I had known growing up. I'm showing them real bodies and teaching them how to love their own. I'm teaching them the importance of taking care of their bodies with good food and dancing/archery/soccer.

To me, teaching them these things is no different than teaching them about periods, sex, biology. They should understand how their bodies work. Because the more information they have, the more empowered they are.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 10. I try to make a distinction between being on a 'diet' and eating healthily and keeping fit.

Hopefully she sees me trying to get strong and healthy rather than getting thin. She does know that part of it is about how you look but the important part is how strong your body and mind is.

She cant wait to come to the gym with me but she has to wait another 2 years until she is old enough.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm an oddball. I've lost 72 pounds, so yes, my girls (7, 9) know about MFP and why I'm trying to become healthier. I don't see an issue with it and I'm certainly not ruining their childhood.

I told them that I made bad choices, and became overweight and unhealthy. Now they know I'm making good choices and becoming healthy. They see me do my yoga and lift my weights and weigh my food. They know we have sometimes food and always food. They know that moderation is important, and so is staying active.

They also know that at their ages, calorie counting and weighing your food aren't necessary and that we have to fuel growing bodies.

I don't frame it as a weight thing, but a health thing - they know I had to be put on medications for my health and that losing so much weight allowed me to go off of some of my medications.

Honestly, I'm teaching my kids the things I wish I had known growing up. I'm showing them real bodies and teaching them how to love their own. I'm teaching them the importance of taking care of their bodies with good food and dancing/archery/soccer.

To me, teaching them these things is no different than teaching them about periods, sex, biology. They should understand how their bodies work. Because the more information they have, the more empowered they are.

I see nothing wrong with this - makes perfect sense to me.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My girls are 7 & 5. I am only somewhat overweight, so I don't bring it up (I believe I fit into the realm of "average"). They don't realize that I'm a bit overweight, so I'm not going to bring it up. However, we do talk about making healthy choices (the difference between fueling our bodies and eating for pleasure - how the fuel has to happen first, etc.), and we talk a lot about being active... walking places when we can, playing out side, etc. I want them to have a very moderate approach to food and exercise. They are very fortunate that they both seem to take after their dad, who is very thin.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think it is a parent's responsibility to teach their child(ren) about healthy lifestyles.

My niece, age 11, asked me one day if I was using MFP (my sister has used it on and off and my niece knows about it) and I told her that I have been. She asked why. I told her that I want to lose weight and be healthy.

She has been dancing since she was 3, so she's active, but when she's not at dance, she can be very sedentary. I talk with her about healthy options and we talk about how strong she is - she weighs around 85 lbs and can lift herself up, along with learning how to do a handstand. She sometimes reads nutrition labels, which is OKAY. She needs to know what a serving size is considered. Unfortunately, people become obese because they don't pay attention to serving sizes. She doesn't count calories, but we talk about eating meals that are balanced.

I bought her a dirt cup dessert from the store last night, but gave her the stipulation that she can only take it in her lunch if she has a healthy balance (fruit, veggie, protein).

We also talk about what food will give her energy for dance (or a day at school).