Stop the madness!!!

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i can understand people wanting to bypass the whole trial and error phase that many have to go through before finding something that they like and that they'll stick to.

personally, i went through a few things before i figured out that triathlon was my thing. i tried crossfit, olympic lifting, body weight, and martial arts before i decided that swimming, cycling, and running was my going to be my thing.

I understand wanting to bypass the whole trial and error phase too...but at the same time, that process is where people are actually going to grow the most as an individual. Discovering things about yourself is just awesome...and I think that process is also important in developing fitness goals that go beyond just "gotta go do some exercise 'cuz good for me."...I think that process is where people really discover the numerous other benefits to fitness beyond just burning some calories and whatnot.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    What wrong with efficiency? Wanting to know the best ways to do things?

Every job got a right tool to use. Would you use a tool that takes double of triple to time to do the same work as another tool?

It totally depends on the goal and exact outcome. Sometimes it is better to take the long way than the shortcut and sometimes it's not. Quality should be #1 followed by time-efficiency.

So if quality is more important the right type of exercise will always be asked to get to certain goal?

I'm not sure if I understand your question.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    I dont think it will ever be broken. Just human nature i supose! Just look at all the juicing threads. Its mind boggling. The same thing over and over again.

giphy.gif

Every day is Groundhog Day at MFP.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i can understand people wanting to bypass the whole trial and error phase that many have to go through before finding something that they like and that they'll stick to.

personally, i went through a few things before i figured out that triathlon was my thing. i tried crossfit, olympic lifting, body weight, and martial arts before i decided that swimming, cycling, and running was my going to be my thing.

I understand wanting to bypass the whole trial and error phase too...but at the same time, that process is where people are actually going to grow the most as an individual. Discovering things about yourself is just awesome...and I think that process is also important in developing fitness goals that go beyond just "gotta go do some exercise 'cuz good for me."...I think that process is where people really discover the numerous other benefits to fitness beyond just burning some calories and whatnot.

cosign
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Did someone say ground hog?

giphy.gif

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    ....but...but... if I finally make a decision and settle on an exercise I'll be expected to actually exercise.

If I continue to waffle forever and ever I can say that I'm actively working on my health and never step off my couch and away from my Doritos.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Every job got a right tool to use. Would you use a tool that takes double of triple to time to do the same work as another tool?

It totally depends on the goal and exact outcome. Sometimes it is better to take the long way than the shortcut and sometimes it's not. Quality should be #1 followed by time-efficiency.

So if quality is more important the right type of exercise will always be asked to get to certain goal?

Like for example the lose weight category and why they should weight train because there a lot of threads on this one.

We know how to lose weight. Calorie deficit. Weight training falls in the quality category for this goal over cardio right?

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I understand that mentality but only under specific circumstances.

When I train lifters I have them pick a goal, a very, very specific goal, and put together a training program that will help them to achieve that very, very specific goal. In this context, one way IS inherently better than another; one would not go jogging if they want a big bench press. However, I realize that on these forums that is seldom the case.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Like for example the lose weight category and why they should weight train because there a lot of threads on this one.

We know how to lose weight. Calorie deficit. Weight training falls in the quality category for this goal over cardio right?

I think it is more the generic, "what's better...elliptical or recumbent bike?" kind of questions rather than, "why should I do X" or "what's the best way to increase my OH press?" or something like that...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think it is more the generic, "what's better...elliptical or recumbent bike?" kind of questions rather than, "why should I do X" or "what's the best way to increase my OH press?" or something like that...

cosign.
    again.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    OP: frustration noted, but if people don't feel comfortable asking fitness- and nutrition-related questions here, the MFP forums will just become an exclusive club for those in the know. While that may sound attractive to some, it doesn't do much for the people just beginning a very long (hopefully) journey. Also - stretching slightly into psychology and sociology 101 - some folks weren't raised with fitness as a value and some haven't experienced a wide array of sporting options (even as simple as riding a bike). They have to start somewhere.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

I don't know there is any real quantitative data that says one is better than the other specifically just for weight loss. For just functionality and quality of life I would say both are important (strength & conditioning), but that's my opinion.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    OP: frustration noted, but if people don't feel comfortable asking fitness- and nutrition-related questions here, the MFP forums will just become an exclusive club for those in the know. While that may sound attractive to some, it doesn't do much for the people just beginning a very long (hopefully) journey. Also - stretching slightly into psychology and sociology 101 - some folks weren't raised with fitness as a value and some haven't experienced a wide array of sporting options (even as simple as riding a bike). They have to start somewhere.

It's not meant to be a call for exclusivity.

Quite the reverse.

Go out, try a bunch of stuff, see what you like.

@cwolfman13 nails it. Calorie burns are not what fitness is about. Develop some physical attribute(s) and (hopefully) having a blast whilst you're doing it.

As @Capt_Apollo‌ said, I've also tried a bunch of things over the years. Some I stuck with for a decade or more. I've got something out of all of them and they've all added to the sum of who I am now and my physical capabilities and knowledge. None of the things I tried was a waste of time. None of them. Even if something is not for you, you've learned something about yourself in the process of attempting it. That's just good old fashioned personal growth.

There really is no harm in going out and learning to play tennis. Or going hiking in the hills regularly. Or trying to deadlift 2x your bodyweight. All these pursuits will be worthwhile to attempt in some fashion, will add to your sum of knowledge about yourself and your body. And who knows? You may have found a pursuit that you will enjoy for 10 years (or give up next month).
  • 4leighbee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

It's not meant to be a call for exclusivity.

Quite the reverse.

Go out, try a bunch of stuff, see what you like.

@cwolfman13 nails it. Calorie burns are not what fitness is about. Develop some physical attribute(s) and (hopefully) having a blast whilst you're doing it.

As @Capt_Apollo‌ said, I've also tried a bunch of things over the years. Some I stuck with for a decade or more. I've got something out of all of them and they've all added to the sum of who I am now and my physical capabilities and knowledge. None of the things I tried was a waste of time. None of them. Even if something is not for you, you've learned something about yourself in the process of attempting it. That's just good old fashioned personal growth.

There really is no harm in going out and learning to play tennis. Or going hiking in the hills regularly. Or trying to deadlift 2x your bodyweight. All these pursuits will be worthwhile to attempt in some fashion, will add to your sum of knowledge about yourself and your body. And who knows? You may have found a pursuit that you will enjoy for 10 years (or give up next month).

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I played two sports a season in high school and have most recently put my intimidate to the side in order to get into the free weights room and start a modified version of the Stronglifts 5x5 program. We're on the same page. You should really tell them this nicely when they ask instead of shaming them on a separate thread for being "stupid." That's all ...

Actually, ETA that I find it amusing that I went from high school to a few months ago. That's an enormous (eeeeenorrrrmousss) time gap there. LOL ... I'm a runner. I found what I like a long time ago. :smiley:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You should really tell them this nicely when they ask instead of shaming them on a separate thread for being "stupid." That's all ...

I'm not seeing a shaming thread, however we've got two issues; basic netiquette and understanding ones own health and fitness objectives.

I see this as largely about the first of those.

It doesn't even need the search function, skimming the first page of the forum generally demonstrates the same points coming up repeatedly. Moving to the second page just corroborates that.

• 4leighbee
    Options
    You should really tell them this nicely when they ask instead of shaming them on a separate thread for being "stupid." That's all ...

I'm not seeing a shaming thread, however we've got two issues; basic netiquette and understanding ones own health and fitness objectives.

It doesn't even need the search function, skimming the first page of the forum generally demonstrates the same points coming up repeatedly. Moving to the second page just corroborates that.

Really? Given the tone and word choice of the original post I will just have to disagree with you on that but everything else you've said makes sense.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Really? Given the tone and word choice of the original post I will just have to disagree with you on that but everything else you've said makes sense.

it's not shaming- it's exasperation. not the same.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

it's not shaming- it's exasperation. not the same.

Okay - I'll buy that.

From the receiver's perspective, however: more like shaming. My dad never called me "stupid" because ... shaming. Same idea. I do get the frustration, but that's coming from those of you/us who follow the forums regularly - so you see person after person after person posting similar questions and so - Groundhog Day (loved that comment btw). Right, but to the person who is asking what they believe to be a legitimate question ... we could just practice a little patience - that's all. And ironically, the OP in this thread (whose comments I have always agreed with 100% when I've seen them) was again very to-the-point and not abrasive at all when he commented on a running-or-walking thread just before posting this. I quoted his comment as a +1. We're on the same page.

It just surprised me to see all the open exasperation (not just OP but predictably all those that followed) immediately following. Idk. Some people aren't always going to use the resources available to them as effectively/efficiently as others.

Maybe it's the teacher/Pollyanna idealist in me. (Damn her... always getting me into trouble.)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Depending on goals, someone may not lift regularly. And that's really okay. Everyone acts like lifting is the only way to get a person to their goal body and that's just not the case. (This coming from someone who loves it).

Interests and goals and whatever else change over time too.