First Outdoor Run of the Year

Options
Had my first outdoor run of the year yesterday. I'm training for the Buffalo half marathon in May. Unfortunately, the run did not go as planned, but I trudged on. I prefer running outdoors to the treadmill, but maybe the weather just isn't right for outdoor running yet. Read all about the obstacle course that was my run here on my blog. Thank you for your support. http://www.creatingasweetlife.com/trudging-on/

Replies

• StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! LOL
    I ran my first 5K of the "season" Saturday and my time was less than stellar in my opinion. However, I kept getting reminders from my friends that I ran with that your time doesn't matter. It's the fact that you went out and did it and finished it!

Awesome job! :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    36 is kind of balmy for a winter run LOL. First and foremost, dress appropriately. Wear a hat, or at least ear warmers. Wear a shirt with thumbholes, or actual gloves. Wear sunglasses, even if it's not sunny (helps in the summer too - bugs in the eye are NOT fun - I wear Trifosi that have interchangeable lenses and one of the lenses is clear). Finally, find a good route where you won't have to dodge obstacles - many of the parks around here clear a portion of their bike paths throughout the winter for runners.

I did a half in February. I trained outside for all my long runs (it gets dark too early for me to run outside after work). There were only 2 weeks I headed indoors due to sub-zero temps. Truly, I prefer to head indoors when it gets under 20 degrees, but many people are OK at much colder temps.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I love running outdoors. I guess I was just disappointed the run didn't feel good. I'll be more prepared next time...hopefully!
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half in May, too! I did my first outdoor run of the season on Saturday as well as my first 5k. I ended up getting first place in my age group. I wasn't expecting that so I just grabbed my banana and left. Lol. I still need to pick up my medal.

Good luck with your future runs! I did my first long run on Sunday. It would have been better if I didn't get lost and then nearly wet myself in the middle of it. Lol.
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    -35 here still..:( jealous!
  • StephannieL
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    36 is kind of balmy for a winter run LOL. First and foremost, dress appropriately. Wear a hat, or at least ear warmers. Wear a shirt with thumbholes, or actual gloves. Wear sunglasses, even if it's not sunny (helps in the summer too - bugs in the eye are NOT fun - I wear Trifosi that have interchangeable lenses and one of the lenses is clear). Finally, find a good route where you won't have to dodge obstacles - many of the parks around here clear a portion of their bike paths throughout the winter for runners.

I did a half in February. I trained outside for all my long runs (it gets dark too early for me to run outside after work). There were only 2 weeks I headed indoors due to sub-zero temps. Truly, I prefer to head indoors when it gets under 20 degrees, but many people are OK at much colder temps.

I will have to remember those sunglasses. I have my Oakley's that I wear when it's the least bit sunny but need something on the darker, windier days. And LOL, no, bugs in the eyes are not fun.
  • StephannieL
    Options
    I'm training for my first half in May, too! I did my first outdoor run of the season on Saturday as well as my first 5k. I ended up getting first place in my age group. I wasn't expecting that so I just grabbed my banana and left. Lol. I still need to pick up my medal.

Good luck with your future runs! I did my first long run on Sunday. It would have been better if I didn't get lost and then nearly wet myself in the middle of it. Lol.

Way to go on first place! That's awesome!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I readily confess that I am a wimpy runner who stays indoors pretty much the entire winter. I workout using Fitness Blender videos in my living room, and I don't own a treadmill, so I basically stop running for 3-4 months of the year. Some would argue that makes me "not a real runner" but I don't care. I do love outdoor running and don't do it in the cold because of pretty much every issue you encountered! :) I'm hoping in a week or two I'll be ready for my first painfully slow endeavor. Great job getting out there...it'll just get better from here!
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm training for a half in May and went outside for my first outdoor training run in 2015 yesterday, after being on a treadmill for the last few months. It was really pretty rough. Pavement, dips, inclines, wind, glaring sun, and difficulty pacing myself. It's not like you can just set your legs to some fixed number like a treadmill and off you go. I had hoped to hammer out 90 minutes but only got 60 done before I wrapped it up.

The really weird thing to me is that I ran a half marathon (outside) three weeks ago with only treadmill training. It was definitely not ideal but I think the adrenaline helped push me through the crap that I experienced yesterday. Without any adrenaline yesterday, it was drudgery.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been doing treadmill training, too. I think what helps me is that I run a pretty fast pace on the treadmill with an incline, so it helps me keep a decent pace on pavement. I also keep telling myself I can do it. That I've run sick and hurting and I've run decent distances with little training. I was supposed to do a 9 mile run but it ended up a 10 miler.

I hope your runs get better, gbel1975!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was told once that "bad runs make good runs feel like great ones!" We all have crappy runs. Mine was Saturday...1/2 marathon that was hilly, windy, rainy and cold. There was little course support, the turn around was horrible because it was not split so basically you were having to dodge people both ways. It was awful. That 1/2 marathon seemed longer than my full.

Good luck with training and remember it does get better!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »

truth.

I was pumped it got up to the mid 20's. I found my limit was about the mid teens- anything under that and I wasn't happening.

36 is light wear weather- but dog doodo sucks!!!

Also- I found a nice hat- where did I get my hat- Marshalls? TJMAxx? yeah- I can't remember- KOHLS!!! That's where it was. 5 bucks- best investment every seriously.

Good luck with the rest of your training- you'll do great!
  • foofyq
    foofyq Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love running outside! Got so sick of being cooped up I started running again March 1st and it was coooold out! I found this fun page that gives advice on what to wear depending on the weather and it totally helped me out: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
    So excited to go run today, its 60 out!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing (not quite true, I run outside all year 'round and it gets cold here but I won't run when there's been freezing rain......)
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I went for my first outside run of the year too last week when it was about 45 out. It definitely turned into sprinting when there were clear sidewalks and a quick walk/jump/avoid puddles & mud all the rest of the time. But it was a blast and felt so good to get outside and not on the treadmill!! But I should have worn a hat.. the chill got to my ears and then I had a headache for the rest of the night.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ....um, I've been running outside all winter long training for OCRs (obstacle course races). Southeastern PA here, so not too brutal, but I've ran in some bad stuff this year (snow, rain, etc). Did a 6 mile trail race with temps in the teens and 6" of snow. So all you indoor runners think you are ready for Spring, HA! I am absolutely dying to run in 1 layer of clothing....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OCRs (obstacle course races)
    I can't believe this is a thing now. OCR. oiy
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The clothing/cold wasn't such a big deal, it was mainly the fact that I couldn't just run the route I had picked out. I kept having to back track because people hadn't cleared their sidewalks and I felt like I did more hopping than running because I was trying to avoid all of the dog poop and mud. I enjoy running outside (much more than I enjoy the treadmill). I'm just anxious to just be able to just go and run and feel winded because I got a good run in and not because I spent my whole route hopping around and trying to calculate my mileage and find new routes to get the proper mileage when routes are blocked.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    OCRs (obstacle course races)
    I can't believe this is a thing now. OCR. oiy

It's definitely a "thing" lol. And if you haven't tried one you really should. Great tests of strength and endurance (physically and mentally). I've done quite a few over the past two years and this year decided to set some pretty crazy goals. I have a full season lined up starting in about a month. Throw in some friends and traveling, and I am one happy camper =]
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I tried my first outdoor run last Saturday. Same result, not as planned or desired. It's amazing how used to the treadmill I've gotten over the winter. I felt like a newbie runner all over again. I'm hoping as the roads clear off more, and I ease back into it, I'll find the enjoyment I remember prior to winter setting in.