First Outdoor Run of the Year

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    ....um, I've been running outside all winter long training for OCRs (obstacle course races). Southeastern PA here, so not too brutal, but I've ran in some bad stuff this year (snow, rain, etc). Did a 6 mile trail race with temps in the teens and 6" of snow. So all you indoor runners think you are ready for Spring, HA! I am absolutely dying to run in 1 layer of clothing....

Ya know - I never realized this but one of my regular cycling routes takes me very close to the town you have listed in your profile. I start in Downingtown, head south to Embreeville, west all the way out towards Wolf Hollow County Park, then back up through Atglen, Parkesburg, and back to D-town.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    OCRs (obstacle course races)
    I can't believe this is a thing now. OCR. oiy

It's definitely a "thing" lol. And if you haven't tried one you really should. Great tests of strength and endurance (physically and mentally). I've done quite a few over the past two years and this year decided to set some pretty crazy goals. I have a full season lined up starting in about a month. Throw in some friends and traveling, and I am one happy camper =]

negative- I went to a military school- I ran all sorts of stuff like that. I'm not paying that much money to go do that. But thanks LOL.

I just didn't realize we were giving them "names" officially. Guess I'm getting older for real!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The clothing/cold wasn't such a big deal, it was mainly the fact that I couldn't just run the route I had picked out. I kept having to back track because people hadn't cleared their sidewalks and I felt like I did more hopping than running because I was trying to avoid all of the dog poop and mud. I enjoy running outside (much more than I enjoy the treadmill). I'm just anxious to just be able to just go and run and feel winded because I got a good run in and not because I spent my whole route hopping around and trying to calculate my mileage and find new routes to get the proper mileage when routes are blocked.

streets aren't clear yet?

I ran two weeks ago and the sidewalks were completely impassible and dangerous- so I just ran on the shoulder- which is the night I knew I needed a safety vest!
  • ldrinan
    ldrinan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use this all the time to plan my run clothes. It's worked great for me at any temperature. I always second guess myself (will I be too cold? too hot?) and this helps a lot.

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Ya know - I never realized this but one of my regular cycling routes takes me very close to the town you have listed in your profile. I start in Downingtown, head south to Embreeville, west all the way out towards Wolf Hollow County Park, then back up through Atglen, Parkesburg, and back to D-town.

@glevinso‌ I'm like an hour from D-town. Atglen and Parksburg ring a bell as well. I'm like halfway between Lancaster and Reading in the farmlands. I'd offer to ride with you sometime, but umm....it'd be like a super slow recovery ride for you! PS the location on my profile seems to change itself and is never accurate, even though I type in the zip *shrug*
    JoRocka wrote: »
    negative- I went to a military school- I ran all sorts of stuff like that. I'm not paying that much money to go do that. But thanks LOL.

I just didn't realize we were giving them "names" officially. Guess I'm getting older for real!

Haha, I assume having someone yelling at you while doing it would make it less fun. But I grew up in the country rolling around on the ground, climbing over things, playing in trees, etc. Doing this stuff makes me feel awesome. Gives me something to work towards. People spend money on what they choose. I know people that waste way more money at the bar. But yes, the community is growing and there are tons of sponsored athletes (called "elites"). They are pushing big to get it televised, etc. It's not going to disappear anytime soon =]
  • JoRocka
    Options
    you're right- it's not- it'll be around for a while. I'm happy people are doing fun things with themselves.

I have a few friends who are really into the GoRucks- one of the guys at my gym likes to think he's para military because he does it- it makes me roll my eyes at him (he's like SERIOUSLY over the top about it- but that's all he does).

yep- moving- doing things- it's a hobby- and it's a damn fine one at that- I don't begrudge people. I wouldn't watch it if it was televised honestly- but I don't watch hardly any sports on TV- so no surprise there LOL
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem...was afraid it would get too hot on me this weekend. Ran two half-marathons. The trail course was muddy, especially on Saturday, due to the rain we'd had all week. Much drier on Sunday and I felt fortunate I finished my halfs before the temps got into the 70's both days.

I live in the South, so I run year round outside, except the occasional rain/cold combination when I'm not in the mood. Has been colder than normal here and a lot of rain, so not my favorite winter of running.

I'll appreciate it, though, when the summer heats up and I'm running in the 90's with high humidity.

As for routes, I run at a park that has dedicated jogging trails. If you don't have one of those, perhaps a park where you can run on its roads, where there will be less car traffic? I have a "backup" park I run at with a 1 mile looping road for runners to share with the cars. Low traffic and the cars drive slow. Beats my neighborhood, where I never know what will be in the roads or on the sidewalks.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    The first one outside after a long winter mostly sucks. This is my second week, and I'm still not where I want to be. But hurdling the puddles is fun, right? I'm still mostly shoulder running too. Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    36 is kind of balmy for a winter run LOL. First and foremost, dress appropriately. Wear a hat, or at least ear warmers. Wear a shirt with thumbholes, or actual gloves. Wear sunglasses, even if it's not sunny (helps in the summer too - bugs in the eye are NOT fun - I wear Trifosi that have interchangeable lenses and one of the lenses is clear). Finally, find a good route where you won't have to dodge obstacles - many of the parks around here clear a portion of their bike paths throughout the winter for runners.

I did a half in February. I trained outside for all my long runs (it gets dark too early for me to run outside after work). There were only 2 weeks I headed indoors due to sub-zero temps. Truly, I prefer to head indoors when it gets under 20 degrees, but many people are OK at much colder temps.

I will have to remember those sunglasses. I have my Oakley's that I wear when it's the least bit sunny but need something on the darker, windier days. And LOL, no, bugs in the eyes are not fun.

Yes, I like my Trifosi. I had to switch to the clear lenses for the winter LOL. They have an orange lens too which is nice if you're in the woods - it'll brighten everything up!

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am desperate to get outside and run! However, with the condition of the sidewalks, I can't! They were JUST starting to get clear, clear enough to feel safe running and we got 21cm of snow on Sunday. There is another 15-25cm possible on Tuesday into Wednesday. Sigh. Winter just won't let go!! I need to get out! I"m running a 5K in May! I just hope the snow is gone by then!
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    First 1/2 comming up in May also. Did my 1st outdoor run last week after training on the treadmill for the last 6 months. It was GREAT. Other than my hands freezing, I found my times were faster than my indoor times. Indoor I run on average 6min kilos, I was averaging 5:40 with a low of 5:10 on one split. Northern Canada here. I ran straight thru the puddles, more like small lakes LOL.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    I had the opposite problem...was afraid it would get too hot on me this weekend. Ran two half-marathons. The trail course was muddy, especially on Saturday, due to the rain we'd had all week. Much drier on Sunday and I felt fortunate I finished my halfs before the temps got into the 70's both days.

I live in the South, so I run year round outside, except the occasional rain/cold combination when I'm not in the mood. Has been colder than normal here and a lot of rain, so not my favorite winter of running.

I'll appreciate it, though, when the summer heats up and I'm running in the 90's with high humidity.

As for routes, I run at a park that has dedicated jogging trails. If you don't have one of those, perhaps a park where you can run on its roads, where there will be less car traffic? I have a "backup" park I run at with a 1 mile looping road for runners to share with the cars. Low traffic and the cars drive slow. Beats my neighborhood, where I never know what will be in the roads or on the sidewalks.

You ran 2 halfs in one weekend? Wow, great job.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    36 is kind of balmy for a winter run LOL. First and foremost, dress appropriately. Wear a hat, or at least ear warmers. Wear a shirt with thumbholes, or actual gloves. Wear sunglasses, even if it's not sunny (helps in the summer too - bugs in the eye are NOT fun - I wear Trifosi that have interchangeable lenses and one of the lenses is clear). Finally, find a good route where you won't have to dodge obstacles - many of the parks around here clear a portion of their bike paths throughout the winter for runners.

I did a half in February. I trained outside for all my long runs (it gets dark too early for me to run outside after work). There were only 2 weeks I headed indoors due to sub-zero temps. Truly, I prefer to head indoors when it gets under 20 degrees, but many people are OK at much colder temps.

I will have to remember those sunglasses. I have my Oakley's that I wear when it's the least bit sunny but need something on the darker, windier days. And LOL, no, bugs in the eyes are not fun.

Yes, I like my Trifosi. I had to switch to the clear lenses for the winter LOL. They have an orange lens too which is nice if you're in the woods - it'll brighten everything up!

@omma_to_3- I will have to look into those. Are they expensive?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Sorry - just saw this. You can find some online for maybe $60ish?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I've only run inside this year for my speed work since the tracks have been covered with snow. It'll be late April probably before they're fully clear...

I was training for a half in February that got postponed then canceled. And training through ski season and all the snow/ice/cold made me pick a fall marathon for 2016 so I won't have to run 20mi in -10f
  • StephannieL
    Options

Sorry - just saw this. You can find some online for maybe $60ish?

LOL that is quite alright! Thanks! :)

• JenMKEWI
    JenMKEWI Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love running outside, but agreed that when it's negative numbers on the thermometer, I am hitting the treadmill... This winter was mild of us, however I did encounter black ice and scraped knees on a few runs..... Cannot wait for Spring to be here for good!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I just started running (in general) in October 2014 and so far have only been doing treadmill running. I've got to a point where it really feels like I've hit a wall but apparently running outside will help me with that.

I have my first 5K scheduled for the last weekend in April. I'm running between 2.5 and 3 miles approx 3 days/week but that's all inside. I've read enough to know my first few outdoor runs will probably not be half that if I can manage but I want to get outside so I can be a little more prepared for it.

I have a bit of cold weather clothing nothing too much though and I was prepared to run outside this weekend but we just got hit with another couple inches of snow this morning UGH! I really hoped winter was over. I had mentally prepared myself for the cold but I don't know that I can run with snow.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do not understand this "running inside" thing of which you speak. :wink: I've run exactly 1 mile on the treadmill in the past year, and I did that only because it was for a VO2 Max test. I've been running outside ALL winter (my first outdoor run of the "year" was on January 1st) - including 0*F with a windchill of -16*F (granted, on the super cold days, I kept my runs to 30 minutes or less), I've run in snow, I've run in 20mph wind (35+mph gusts), I've run on hardpack/ice....I've had icicles form on my eyelashes during numerous runs. I've NEVER had an issue with being cold. The key is to wear appropriate clothing. :)
  • StephannieL
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    I do not understand this "running inside" thing of which you speak. :wink: I've run exactly 1 mile on the treadmill in the past year, and I did that only because it was for a VO2 Max test. I've been running outside ALL winter (my first outdoor run of the "year" was on January 1st) - including 0*F with a windchill of -16*F (granted, on the super cold days, I kept my runs to 30 minutes or less), I've run in snow, I've run in 20mph wind (35+mph gusts), I've run on hardpack/ice....I've had icicles form on my eyelashes during numerous runs. I've NEVER had an issue with being cold. The key is to wear appropriate clothing. :)

LOL you are a better woman than I!!! No way in h#ll will I run outside in that god-awful cold! LOL
    Just thinking about you running out in that kind of weather makes me cold. LOL :)