Creatine?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I take it daily. I honestly can't say for sure that it helps materially - just can't be sure that it is getting me that extra rep or energy. That said, it is safe; I experience no bloat or stomach issues; so I figure no harm and possibly a little bit of help. I add mine to morning coffee as usmcmp suggested.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I just want to say I've been following along and was "sold" enough to go pick up a big supply of this myself. I think I made a mistake in buying the powder version -- I have no idea how to get 5g of that stuff up my nostrils.

I kid, I kid.

But seriously -- is it more or less ok to mix the powder with anything? I was thinking of putting it in my cereal or yogurt. I read somewhere that ideally it's taken concurrent with an insulin spike for maximal absorption.

I have read not to have it with coffee. Apparently they cancel eachother out.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it matters much to be honest. Anecdotally I've heard that taking it with something sweet is best, but how much better? Noticeably better? I've taken it mixed with water, protein, Gatorade, put it on a spoon and chased it with some water and it was all pretty much the same. It's one of those things I don't worry about. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    I just want to say I've been following along and was "sold" enough to go pick up a big supply of this myself. I think I made a mistake in buying the powder version -- I have no idea how to get 5g of that stuff up my nostrils.

I kid, I kid.

But seriously -- is it more or less ok to mix the powder with anything? I was thinking of putting it in my cereal or yogurt. I read somewhere that ideally it's taken concurrent with an insulin spike for maximal absorption.

One single scientific study concluded that caffeine counteracts the effects of a creatine loaded muscle, but the study was poorly designed and has been discredited. Taking creatine and caffeine together will not wash out the creatine, in fact, creatine is more soluble in warm liquid. Insulin is not necessary for creatine uptake, so taking it with something isn't necessary. Even if insulin helped with absorption you'd have to take in almost 100g of sugar to spike your insulin high enough to impact absorption by the muscles.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

I kid, I kid.

One single scientific study concluded that caffeine counteracts the effects of a creatine loaded muscle, but the study was poorly designed and has been discredited. Taking creatine and caffeine together will not wash out the creatine, in fact, creatine is more soluble in warm liquid. Insulin is not necessary for creatine uptake, so taking it with something isn't necessary. Even if insulin helped with absorption you'd have to take in almost 100g of sugar to spike your insulin high enough to impact absorption by the muscles.

Yeah, I take creatine with approx 300mg / caffeine (pill form) before every training session and there's no consequence to it. Maybe there's a certain temperature in-which creatine will break-down... I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about caffeine being an issue.

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I take mine mixed with my pre and BCAAs before my workout.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I have started taking it tonight and avoided the coffee. I too have heard that creatine dissolves a lot better in warm liquid. I just mixed it with hot water and waited till all of the creatine dissolved and the water was clear before I drank it.