What to do with kale?

Options
saltedcaramel86
saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
I picked up some kale yesterday intending to make white bean and kale stew but it's WAY too hot here for that. What else can I do with kale? I don't eat meat and limiting dairy due to a possible intolerance.

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    The other day I made a salad with kale that was very tasty. I mashed up some avocado with lime juice, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper, garlic powder and then stir chopped kale into it until well coated. Topped with chili seasoned tofu.

kaleavosalad_sm.jpg

I will cut out the ribs (too fibrous for a lot of dishes in my opinion) and use it like I would lettuce on a sandwich, burger, or wrap. I throw it in at the end of stir fries so it wilts slightly - but kale is nice because it still maintains pretty nice texture when cooked. Sometimes I will blend it up with fresh herbs to make a pesto.

I'm sure a hundred people will tell you about kale chips or blending kale into smoothies too, hehe.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I always wonder about this too... I have tried it in smoothies and wasn't a fan... spinach is way better.
  • malindab69
    Options
    Toss in olive oil, sea salt and if you like spicy red pepper flakes. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Enjoy :-)
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The other day I made a salad with kale that was very tasty. I mashed up some avocado with lime juice, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper, garlic powder and then stir chopped kale into it until well coated. Topped with chili seasoned tofu.

kaleavosalad_sm.jpg

I will cut out the ribs (too fibrous for a lot of dishes in my opinion) and use it like I would lettuce on a sandwich, burger, or wrap. I throw it in at the end of stir fries so it wilts slightly - but kale is nice because it still maintains pretty nice texture when cooked. Sometimes I will blend it up with fresh herbs to make a pesto.

I'm sure a hundred people will tell you about kale chips or blending kale into smoothies too, hehe.

YUM.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I put kale on sandwiches.
  • Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I sauteed it last night in basil olive oil and b/c I was so hungry, fried an egg in the same pan and mixed it all together. Very good and filling.

Usually I saute with oil and garlic and eat it like spinach some balsamic vinegar on it.
  • AlishaDTM
    AlishaDTM Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Toss in olive oil, sea salt and if you like spicy red pepper flakes. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Enjoy :-)

I agree. Kale 'chips' yummo!

I typically 'drink' my kale:

8 oz. water
    1 cup kale
    1 cup mixed berries
    1 tbsp flax seeds

Blend together, preferably in something super charged like the nutri bullet and enjoy!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Salads, stir fries, soup.

Don't use it in a green smoothie. Too strong a flavour for that.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Boil it, mash it, stick it in a stew.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    It's nice stirfried with sesame oil and soy sauce.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Massage that puppy with some tahini, peanut or avocado based dressing. Mmm, mmm good.
  • RhodySeth
    RhodySeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are dynamite.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips, but am always looking for other good ideas myself.
  • servalan
    servalan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love kale (and other greens) cooked like this - it's so easy!

Heat a can of chicken/beef/veg broth in a large pot on the stove. Add lots of minced garlic and red pepper flakes in broth, and put in cut up kale. (You can easily fill a pot with a bunch of kale, but it will cook down.) Cover and cook on medium high for 5 minutes, then on medium low another 5 or 10 minutes according to taste (I vote for 5 minutes).

If you're rational, scoop some out and put it on your plate. Often I dump it into a bowl though and just eat that for a meal. :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I picked up some kale yesterday intending to make white bean and kale stew but it's WAY too hot here for that. What else can I do with kale? I don't eat meat and limiting dairy due to a possible intolerance.

I sautée onions, a bit of garlic and sweet potato or yam cubes and then add lots of coarsely chopped kale. I simmer it in a covered pan until the sweet potatoes are soft, add some curry powder or Garam Masala and serve it with natural yogurt sometimes with lentils, or plain cooked barley, brown rice , beans or any grain or legumes that are not processed.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    For lunch I put it in the crock pot until it wilted. I placed my beans/rice on top.

Most of the time I put it in my vegan tacos or in my soups. Hubby loves to put it in his mashed potatoes.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It's nice stirfried with sesame oil and soy sauce.

And coconut.

I think I have an unhealthy obsession with this salad: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/cook-the-book-kale-salad-with-toasted-coconut-recipe-kale-chips.html
    (I use a lot less olive oil and more sesame, though)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Cut out the stems, roughly chop the leaves and massage them with lemon juice and olive oil to your taste, then toss with dried cranberries, toasted wanuts or pecans and shaved parmesan (optional if you want to skip the dairy). A little salt and pepper and you have a very refreshing salad!