Tea... Good, Bad or otherwise

Options
Okay, so I know water is best. I've tried unsuccessfully to drink the required amount of water a day. Some days I could do it, others I'd fail miserably and fall back into a soda or energy drink.

I have almost all but cut soda out of my diet(minus the occasional splurge here or there but compared to the 2+ a day).

So my question is, does anyone know of any negatives to tea? I'm talking unsweetened iced tea, nothing fancy just water with tea bags to give it a little boost.

With tea, I can drink 64oz.+ a day. Is there too much of a good thing?

Just curious for peoples thoughts and experiences.

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a big tea drinker and have had zero negative affects. Well okay, sometimes you can have too much caffeine but that can easily be avoided. I always have a water bottle with a few tea bags in it. I say do what works for you!
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a negative to drinking tea. It has antioxidants and if it helps you get enough fluids, go for it. The only possible negative I can think of is that for some people the caffeine might interfere with their sleep.

Here is an article from Harvard Med School:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/health-benefits-linked-to-drinking-tea
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Caffeine, but less than coffee. Tea also has flavonoids, an antioxidant effect; bonus.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/tea-types-and-their-health-benefits

You can experiment further with herbal teas which will have little or no caffeine.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If tea gets you to stay hydrated, drink it. For me, I can't drink it without sugar.
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is definitely a problem when drinking that much tea. You might want to look into other types of teas to avoid that. There are many different flavors of tea that have no caffeine. I urge you to look into loose tea instead of tea bags - to me, they have a much better flavor.

A word of caution - Tea does not always have less caffeine than coffee. I have had a few that have MORE caffeine than coffee. It all depends on what type you drink.

I love tea :)
  • StopherJJMFP
    StopherJJMFP Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You guys rock! This is why I love this site!

Thankfully(or not depending on the day) caffeine has little to no effect on me at all. I don't know if caffeine is actually bad for you? I guess in too large of quantities maybe?

I've heard of antioxidants, but what are flavonoids?

I've tried warm teas, and others but iced tea is about the only thing that seems to be able to replace soda for me in terms of satisfying flavor.
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    So is caffeine bad? As I said I average about 64 oz. of tea a day, just regular iced tea.

I've never heard of loose tea? What is that?
  • ac8908ac
    ac8908ac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a cinnamon tea that has no caffeine in it. It is amazing and is all natural. Red raspberry leaf tea is also good.
  • blbst36
    Options
    So is caffeine bad? As I said I average about 64 oz. of tea a day, just regular iced tea.

I should've specified - that much caffeine is too much for me :)

Loose tea is tea that you buy in bulk - not in the bags at the store. Much better flavor IMHO and, depending on what kind you get, more economical. A box of Family Tea Bags won't last me very long, but a pound of loose Earl Grey will last quite a while. I shop at Teavana which can be expensive. I just haven't found any local places that sell it.

I will warn you that you may have to get used to things in your tea - it's just the leaves, but skeeves some people out. You will need at least one tea strainer - you don't just dump the tea in water. It's worth it to me, but may not be to you :)

• Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love tea, but I drink it with milk and sugar. When I used to have problems getting water into my body, I started using Mio flavouring. It adds just a slightest bit of flavour but it helps to get you used to the idea of drinking more. I started with just one drop and then decreased it to half and eventually stopped all together. you might want to try something like that - there are loads of different brands to choose from.
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    I'll most definitely have to look into that! Is loose leaf something you can drink cold? For some reason hot tea just doesn't do it for me. I'm much more of a cold liquid drinker(other than warm apple cider on a cold day).

Right now I stop at as gas station by my work every morning which thankfully actually have regular iced tea(not fountain). So again the cold aspect comes into play at work, I have a 64oz. Cup(one of those obscenely large mugs from the gas station) that I fill up and it lasts me most of the day.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    THAT iced tea will be full of sugar! Beware!
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    I've tried the flavored water thing before and that works for awhile.

I think my biggest issue with water is supply vs. demand. I refuse to drink the water here(tap or fountain, both taste terrible). So I bought a brita water bottle, that's nice and can refill with the tap but gets boring after awhile. I wish I could put a normal brita pitcher in the fridge here without the worry of someone stealing it or contaminating it.

I've tried in vein to talk my company into a water cooler but they sadly refuse.
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    THAT iced tea will be full of sugar! Beware!

I only get the unsweetened iced tea, every once in awhile I'll to it off with a little bit of the sweetened kind if I'm feeling daring for the day but most of the time there is no sugar in it.
  • blbst36
    Options
    I'll most definitely have to look into that! Is loose leaf something you can drink cold? For some reason hot tea just doesn't do it for me. I'm much more of a cold liquid drinker(other than warm apple cider on a cold day).

Right now I stop at as gas station by my work every morning which thankfully actually have regular iced tea(not fountain). So again the cold aspect comes into play at work, I have a 64oz. Cup(one of those obscenely large mugs from the gas station) that I fill up and it lasts me most of the day.

Absolutely. I drink a lot of tea. I will let it brew for a while and stick it in the fridge or pour it over ice. There are some that are even better cold than they are warm. In fact, unless I am cold, I am drinking my tea cold.

I found that the tea out most places just isn't strong enough for me anymore. I like it really strong, so I almost have to brew it myself.

I can't eat with water as my beverage because it is just gross to me. I have to have something with flavor with my meals, so tea it is. Unsweetened, too. I stay away from most drink mixes because there is usually an additive that accompanies fake sugars that will give me an asthma attack. Tea is the safest low calorie beverage for me to drink besides water.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking that much, try green tea. It has amazing health benefits but not at the quantities that most people drink it (I have a cup a day and that's usually it). You might be ingesting enough to benefit from them. And, aside from caffeine and staining of your teeth, there are really no downsides.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I drink almost that much everyday, I used to drink more. Caffeine affects people differently. My problem with too much caffeine is heartburn. Other people (who already have blood pressure issues) may need to limit caffeine intake.

Loose tea is sold in a tin. You fill an infuser/strainer (a small mesh ball) with loose leaves and dunk that. This is nice to create your own blends.
  • jgnatca
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh my goodness, a tea noob! You absolutely must join this club: http://wickedtea.com/

I can't imagine you are getting a full steep from cold water. If I were you I'd steep a full tea pot from boiling water and let it cool overnight.

You won't know if you are having too much caffeine unless you try going cold turkey for a day. If you have no disrupted sleep patterns now, likely the caffeine is not hurting you.

My link above talks a bit about flavonoids. They are a type of antioxidant.

• StopherJJMFP
    Options
    blbst36 wrote: »

Absolutely. I drink a lot of tea. I will let it brew for a while and stick it in the fridge or pour it over ice. There are some that are even better cold than they are warm. In fact, unless I am cold, I am drinking my tea cold.

I found that the tea out most places just isn't strong enough for me anymore. I like it really strong, so I almost have to brew it myself.

I can't eat with water as my beverage because it is just gross to me. I have to have something with flavor with my meals, so tea it is. Unsweetened, too. I stay away from most drink mixes because there is usually an additive that accompanies fake sugars that will give me an asthma attack. Tea is the safest low calorie beverage for me to drink besides water.

Are any of the teas you drink cold brew?
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    If you're drinking that much, try green tea. It has amazing health benefits but not at the quantities that most people drink it (I have a cup a day and that's usually it). You might be ingesting enough to benefit from them. And, aside from caffeine and staining of your teeth, there are really no downsides.

Green Tea has a lot of calories in it though, doesn't it? I used to love Green Tea but now everything I find isn't low calorie and I refuse to do the "diet" Green Teas.