Tea... Good, Bad or otherwise

Options

Replies

• StopherJJMFP
    StopherJJMFP Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    So is caffeine bad? As I said I average about 64 oz. of tea a day, just regular iced tea.

I've never heard of loose tea? What is that?

I drink almost that much everyday, I used to drink more. Caffeine affects people differently. My problem with too much caffeine is heartburn. Other people (who already have blood pressure issues) may need to limit caffeine intake.

Loose tea is sold in a tin. You fill an infuser/strainer (a small mesh ball) with loose leaves and dunk that. This is nice to create your own blends.

Do you know of any that can be cold brewed? I only have access to a microwave at work and it would be a hassle to get to it several times a day.
  • ebbie023
    ebbie023 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge unsweetened iced tea drinker. For the most part, I just use lipton tea bags. I put 3 bags in a 2 qt. bottle with cold water and let it "brew" overnight in the fridge. If you like it stronger, add another tea bag or experiment with flavored tea bags. I like the 2 lipton + 1 peppermint combo, myself. Much less expensive than buying it every morning.
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    ebbie023 wrote: »
    I'm a huge unsweetened iced tea drinker. For the most part, I just use lipton tea bags. I put 3 bags in a 2 qt. bottle with cold water and let it "brew" overnight in the fridge. If you like it stronger, add another tea bag or experiment with flavored tea bags. I like the 2 lipton + 1 peppermint combo, myself. Much less expensive than buying it every morning.

Do you know if there is any truth to the cold brew vs. regular iced tea bags. Lipton sells "special" cold brew bags which cost more...
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I started drinking tea recently after a throat infection but I can only usually have it sweet (2 sugars) but I've replaced that with 3 canderel sweeteners and it's the same.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    If you're drinking that much, try green tea. It has amazing health benefits but not at the quantities that most people drink it (I have a cup a day and that's usually it). You might be ingesting enough to benefit from them. And, aside from caffeine and staining of your teeth, there are really no downsides.

Green Tea has a lot of calories in it though, doesn't it? I used to love Green Tea but now everything I find isn't low calorie and I refuse to do the "diet" Green Teas.

Green tea is virtually calorie free also, unless you are adding something to it. With green tea you need to be careful of how hot your water is. Too hot water will make bitter green tea. You want the water "just about" boiling.

Lipton makes some nice flavored green tea bags. 2 individual tea bags (steep in some hot water)....then add ice & cold water.....to make 20 ounces.

1 "family size" tea bag + 2 individual tea bags makes 1/2 gallon. I buy flavored individual bags, so I have a bit of added flavor. Lipton Pyramid Bavarian Berry...yum.

Don't buy the "cold brew" bags. Those seem to be pulverized tea leaves. You will have lots of sediment in your glass. I really disliked the flavor. Look up Sun Tea....this takes awhile but you can get good flavor with a cold brew AND regular tea bags.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ebbie023 wrote: »

Do you know if there is any truth to the cold brew vs. regular iced tea bags. Lipton sells "special" cold brew bags which cost more...

I really disliked these ....see post above.
  • aggie2145
    aggie2145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bottled Green Tea is often sweetened and the calories come from the sweetener (honey, sugar, etc) not from the actual tea. Brewed green tea would have less than 5 calories, if any.

My favorite way to cold brew green tea is this recipe - http://www.oneingredientchef.com/cold-brewed-green-tea/ . (I'm not too interested in the "detoxifying" effects - it just tastes good.) I mix half a recipe subbing 2 green tea bags for the loose tea in a 32oz wide mouth water bottle each night. I drink about half the bottle and refill with water two to three times per day.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Tea is supposed to be good for weight loss. White tea, green tea, red tea, The important thing is to brew it your self and not to trust the bottled variety
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'm looking at Tea in a completely different light now! Looks like I need to do some testing and more research. Have to prep myself for the next day lol.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Tea is great for you. I mostly drink tisanes though, because I also consume a lot of coffee.

Your liquid absolutely does not have to come from plain water. Go forth and sip!
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Loose tea is very hard to cold brew. Personally, I drink a couple quarts of plain iced tea myself daily. Sometimes black, sometimes green, sometimes white. Always after 3 pm tho I switch to decaf. Green tea has almost no calories, just like black or white. What you are seeing are the sugared things.

You might try one of those electric kettles for your desk if allowed.

http://www.target.com/p/t-fal-mini-kettle-black/-/A-15812287?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=15812287&CPNG=Appliances&kpid=15812287&LID=3pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15812287&kpid=15812287&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_pmoBRDu986bpISz5ZsBEiQANiuHDOHDp7w40VESr47lbgqaae0KyKQesX2DgD5fW89IQPsaAgW88P8HAQ
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are any of the teas you drink cold brew?

No - Cold Brew doesn't get as strong as I like it. I make hot tea at work with the hot water spigot on the coffee maker. I let it brew, take out the leaves/bags and put it in the fridge for the next day.

Another option is to brew it at home and bring it in daily. Just make sure you have a container that doesn't leak!
  • jrlarsonus
    jrlarsonus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a big tea drinker and have done a lot of looking into how to make different kinds of teas. Here are a couple bits of advice that I wish I'd known earlier:
    • Do not buy pre-made tea. It's gross and full of who knows what. At the least it has caramel coloring.
    • Green and black tea shouldn't have but single-digit calories. It's just water that's had leaves steeped in it. You only get calories when you start adding things like milk, sugar, etc.
    • If you make cold tea the same way you make hot tea, you're going to be buzzing for sure. Generally, I make hot brewed iced tea at a 50/50 ratio. I brew the tea in 4 cups of water, then add 4 more cups when it's done brewing. The box will give you a guideline to start with.
    • Most tea bags are pretty nasty, but you might find some you enjoy. If you like strong black tea, try Red Rose. It's cheap and fairly easy to find. If you like something a little lighter, try Typhoo, which I usually see in the international/British section of the grocery store.
    • Iced tea bags (or at least Lipton) are pretty good, unlike hot tea bags. There are several brands you can try, though. Cold-brewed tends to be lighter while hot-brewed is stronger.
    • Don't overlook herbal teas! There are a huge variety, many of which have no actual tea in them. They can be naturally non-caffeinated, too. You can find them to suit any mood and any time of year.
    • If you have a local tea shop, they're a great place to go for lots of variety and advice. People who work places like that LOVE tea and can make suggestions.

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My husband drinks up the cold-brewed tea as fast as I can make it. I have a 36 oz steeper from David's Tea that I put loose tea with cold water into, then let sit overnight (or all day at work) in the fridge.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Green Tea has a lot of calories in it though, doesn't it? I used to love Green Tea but now everything I find isn't low calorie and I refuse to do the "diet" Green Teas.

What? Green tea has just as many calories as black tea. Where do you get your green tea from? 7-11?

• StopherJJMFP
    Options
    I love this! I have so much to look forward to now!

Can I ask everyone their favorite flavors/brands? or Cold/hot tea?
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My current fav is Lipton Green Tea with Orange Passionfruit & Jasmine flavours
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tea? It's just water that's had a tea bag sitting in it for a while. :)
  • StopherJJMFP
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »
    My current fav is Lipton Green Tea with Orange Passionfruit & Jasmine flavours

That sounds absolutely AMAZING! I can't wait to start mixing and matching to see what I like best!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    If you're drinking that much, try green tea. It has amazing health benefits but not at the quantities that most people drink it (I have a cup a day and that's usually it). You might be ingesting enough to benefit from them. And, aside from caffeine and staining of your teeth, there are really no downsides.

If you make green tea and don't sweeten it, there are no calories. I use Truvia in small quantities for mine but can drink it plain, too. The OP said she drinks plain tea so it'd be a perfect fit.