Coffee time!

Options
Pantera69
Pantera69 Posts: 177 Member
If you do drink coffee, whats the best and how do you take it? Im in the coffee biz, just curious.

Replies

• Pantera69
    Options
    Coffee, black. Second Cup Medium Mountain Blend in k-cup, espresso is nice, whole bean have to go with Jamaica Blue Mountain
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Dallmayr prodomo. I use a French press so I prefer to get whole bean and grind it myself. However, I just bought a package of Dallmayr French Press, which is already ground, and will be trying it once my current package is finished.

If I buy coffee from the grocery store, I like Eight O'Clock Central Highlands. For some reason the grocery stores near me have recently gotten rid of almost all whole bean coffee but I can usually find this one.

As for how I drink it, I like a lot of milk, cafe au lait style.
  • Pantera69
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Dallmayr prodomo. I use a French press so I prefer to get whole bean and grind it myself. However, I just bought a package of Dallmayr French Press, which is already ground, and will be trying it once my current package is finished.

If I buy coffee from the grocery store, I like Eight O'Clock Central Highlands. For some reason the grocery stores near me have recently gotten rid of almost all whole bean coffee but I can usually find this one.

As for how I drink it, I like a lot of milk, cafe au lait style.

French press is the best way to drink coffee. And whole bean is always prefferable
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Starbucks so I still approximately my weight in coffee beans, still. I get it ground a pound at a time and use a drip brew machine. I find that if I use a press, I can only drink a very little bit because I'm sensitive to the oils in the coffee (they make me nauseated). The filter seems to catch most of whatever it is that makes me feel "off" when I drink a cup from a press.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I drip mine with a gold filter....at our house an entire pot is drank in the morning. I am currently enjoying Sulawesi, which I like with a lot of milk, like a Misto.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Kicking Horse Cliffhanger Espresso is usually my go-to for my homemade cappuccino's, but I just bought a bag of locally-roasted espresso from Catfish Roasters (?) that's pretty freaking good. 1/2 cup skim milk steamed, 2oz espresso, and 2 pumps of sugar-free syrup is my good morning in a cup. :-)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like a medium to light roast bean and then also brew my coffee a little weaker. I take it with cream and sugar substitute. Lately I've been on a flavor kick, but getting over it.

I'd never noticed a big difference between whole bean and ground. I recently returned from Jamaica with some Jablum Blue Mountain beans, and while it does taste different, I'm not noticing an appreciable difference. Definitely not for the cost.

My palate may not be very developed, though. I know what coffee I don't like *cough* ahem, Starbucks *cough*, but half the time I just buy Aldi's coffee when brewing at home.

That being said, I do consume a whole heck of a lot of it!
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I roast my own and get different beans from different regions. I prefer the coffee black and made in a french press.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I work at a Starbucks part time, so I enjoy free coffee. Currently have Casi Cielo in the house for both a drip and french press. Love it in the french press. I drink it black it's that good.
  • Pantera69
    Options
    brewingPHX wrote: »
    I roast my own and get different beans from different regions. I prefer the coffee black and made in a french press.

Single origin beans are best. I roast my own. Jamaican, Kona, Costa Rican are nice
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Preferably in a cup.

Black dark roast from a Chemex.
  • Pantera69
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I like a medium to light roast bean and then also brew my coffee a little weaker. I take it with cream and sugar substitute. Lately I've been on a flavor kick, but getting over it.

I'd never noticed a big difference between whole bean and ground. I recently returned from Jamaica with some Jablum Blue Mountain beans, and while it does taste different, I'm not noticing an appreciable difference. Definitely not for the cost.

My palate may not be very developed, though. I know what coffee I don't like *cough* ahem, Starbucks *cough*, but half the time I just buy Aldi's coffee when brewing at home.

Yea CHARbucks is very overlyroasted. Jamaican Blue mountain is great, but when u add cream n sugar u lose the coffeenotes, aromas and flavors. That's usually where the cost is. Kona is good but just as expensive.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I vary on the brand I drink, but I prefer French Press coffee that is a medium grind. I drinki it with no sugar and 1 tablespoon of creamer.
  • Pantera69
    Options
    I used to work at Starbucks so I still approximately my weight in coffee beans, still. I get it ground a pound at a time and use a drip brew machine. I find that if I use a press, I can only drink a very little bit because I'm sensitive to the oils in the coffee (they make me nauseated). The filter seems to catch most of whatever it is that makes me feel "off" when I drink a cup from a press.

Interesting. The Veranda blonde is the only one i like from starbucks. Its actually amazing. I enjoy the oils from the beans as well.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    100% Kona is my favorite! Jamaica Blue Mountain is the runner up. However, these are two of the more expensive beans, so they are a treat. My everyday coffee is Starbucks French Roast (whole beans that I grind). My mother taught me to appreciate a good strong cup of coffee, so I like the control that a french press provides. However, most mornings I prefer the convenience of my Keurig.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Strong and black. I'm not too picky on the bean at this point, but it has to be dark. The darker, the better. I prefer it brewed through an aero press, but I have yet to get one. I currently use my trusty french press.

I grind my own beans through a manual grinder and I have a vacuum kettle which keeps the temperature at a perfect 85C and only needs refilled once a week. I also use filtered water.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pantera69 wrote: »

Yea CHARbucks is very overlyroasted. Jamaican Blue mountain is great, but when u add cream n sugar u lose the coffeenotes, aromas and flavors. That's usually where the cost is. Kona is good but just as expensive.

IMO Kona is too 'nutty' for the price. Its flavor profile is more in line with an African Estate coffee than a volcanic region.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I like mine super strong, super dark.
  • Pantera69
    Options

IMO Kona is too 'nutty' for the price. Its flavor profile is more in line with an African Estate coffee than a volcanic region.

Yes, Konas not my top choice but it is yummy. Jamaican Blue Mountain is great. Along with Costa Rican, Bolivian, and maybe Peruvian. Colombian is overrated.
  • renzou2k4
    Options
    If you do drink coffee, whats the best and how do you take it? Im in the coffee biz, just curious.

Dark roasted. Bolder the better!

I like to drink it black with small amounts of raw sugar. I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar but my tastes have changed.