Coffee time!

Options
2»

Replies

• Selah722
    Selah722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm a Barista at a coffee shop that roasts its own beans. nothing like a double shop with a splash of real maple syrup and cream. when I'm home I french press a dark roast (Kenya-Sumatra blend. Smokey, chocolately, and smooth as all get out!) also, when we get Kona in, its boasted as the best in the country. It's so smooth and soft I can drink a whole pot without realizing it. Best in a pour over...but at $22/8oz I only buy it for myself once a year over christmas (generally thats the only time we have it anyways)
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ... I prefer it brewed through an aero press, but I have yet to get one. I currently use my trusty french press.

... I also use filtered water.

I also use filtered water. Makes a big difference in the taste of the coffee, especially if you drink your coffee black.

Btw, Chivalryder and those of you who may have tasted coffee prepared using a french press and tasted coffee prepared using an Aero Press, is there a noticeable difference in the two end products?
  • Pantera69
    Pantera69 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a Barista at a coffee shop that roasts its own beans. nothing like a double shop with a splash of real maple syrup and cream. when I'm home I french press a dark roast (Kenya-Sumatra blend. Smokey, chocolately, and smooth as all get out!) also, when we get Kona in, its boasted as the best in the country. It's so smooth and soft I can drink a whole pot without realizing it. Best in a pour over...but at $22/8oz I only buy it for myself once a year over christmas (generally thats the only time we have it anyways)

Yea, we have Kona year round. Sometimes we roast it and i'll drink it but it is expensive, mostly because it's picked and grown by americans so the wages are higher than say a mocha java farmer. Jamaica Blue Mountain actually surpassed Kona recently in price due to something with the crops.

• the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pantera69 wrote: »
    husseycd wrote: »
    I like a medium to light roast bean and then also brew my coffee a little weaker. I take it with cream and sugar substitute. Lately I've been on a flavor kick, but getting over it.

I'd never noticed a big difference between whole bean and ground. I recently returned from Jamaica with some Jablum Blue Mountain beans, and while it does taste different, I'm not noticing an appreciable difference. Definitely not for the cost.

My palate may not be very developed, though. I know what coffee I don't like *cough* ahem, Starbucks *cough*, but half the time I just buy Aldi's coffee when brewing at home.

That being said, I do consume a whole heck of a lot of it!

Yea CHARbucks is very overlyroasted. Jamaican Blue mountain is great, but when u add cream n sugar u lose the coffeenotes, aromas and flavors. That's usually where the cost is. Kona is good but just as expensive.

IMO Kona is too 'nutty' for the price. Its flavor profile is more in line with an African Estate coffee than a volcanic region.

Yes, Konas not my top choice but it is yummy. Jamaican Blue Mountain is great. Along with Costa Rican, Bolivian, and maybe Peruvian. Colombian is overrated.

I drink Indonesian most days. I won't drink Colombian anymore. Comparatively speaking there's no depth and it's far too acidic for my tastes.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Coffee? Anything decaf and black, lolz.

Espresso? Decaf Americano, black.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Uhm, well, whatever is in my keurig carasoul. I just plop it in the good ole keurig, brew it, & drink it :smile:
  • Pantera69
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I like a medium to light roast bean and then also brew my coffee a little weaker. I take it with cream and sugar substitute. Lately I've been on a flavor kick, but getting over it.

I'd never noticed a big difference between whole bean and ground. I recently returned from Jamaica with some Jablum Blue Mountain beans, and while it does taste different, I'm not noticing an appreciable difference. Definitely not for the cost.

My palate may not be very developed, though. I know what coffee I don't like *cough* ahem, Starbucks *cough*, but half the time I just buy Aldi's coffee when brewing at home.

That being said, I do consume a whole heck of a lot of it!

Yea CHARbucks is very overlyroasted. Jamaican Blue mountain is great, but when u add cream n sugar u lose the coffeenotes, aromas and flavors. That's usually where the cost is. Kona is good but just as expensive.

IMO Kona is too 'nutty' for the price. Its flavor profile is more in line with an African Estate coffee than a volcanic region.

Yes, Konas not my top choice but it is yummy. Jamaican Blue Mountain is great. Along with Costa Rican, Bolivian, and maybe Peruvian. Colombian is overrated.

I drink Indonesian most days. I won't drink Colombian anymore. Comparatively speaking there's no depth and it's far too acidic for my tastes.

Indonesian is good. The closest I get is Mocha Java.
  • Pantera69
    Options
    Uhm, well, whatever is in my keurig carasoul. I just plop it in the good ole keurig, brew it, & drink it :smile:

Lol
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Peet's French Roast mostly, brewed using a paper filter in a cheap Mr. Coffee machine. I take it with whole milk and equal. I am now trying out Mellitta's Vienna Roast and Classic.

I am not a fan of Starbucks or any other brand.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Mrs Jruzer and I always use the French press for our first cups o' the day. Sometimes the second. On the weekends we'll use the stovetop espresso maker in the afternoon.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I worked part-time at Dunkin Donuts as a second job for awhile (pay off at that debt!) and was very sad to leave all that glorious free coffee behind.

I'll still take a chai latte over coffee any day of the week, but could live on iced coffee with cream and splenda. At home, I've been digging the Cinnabon Classic Cinnamon Roll K-cups with sugar free Vanilla creamer. It's like dessert for breakfast!

I put a French press on my wedding registry, for fancy weekend coffee. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    jj_steele wrote: »
    ... I prefer it brewed through an aero press, but I have yet to get one. I currently use my trusty french press.

I also use filtered water. Makes a big difference in the taste of the coffee, especially if you drink your coffee black.

Btw, Chivalryder and those of you who may have tasted coffee prepared using a french press and tasted coffee prepared using an Aero Press, is there a noticeable difference in the two end products?

It's easier to make consistent brews with an aero press. You can get slight variations when using a french press. It's more difficult to make it perfect every time.

Also, there are no grinds in your mug when you use an aero press.

You can also make it stronger with an aero press because you don't use much water in one - it's strong like an espresso when you brew, then you add water to dilute it, so you can dilute it to your taste.

It also uses fewer grinds.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    jj_steele wrote: »

It's easier to make consistent brews with an aero press. You can get slight variations when using a french press. It's more difficult to make it perfect every time.

Also, there are no grinds in your mug when you use an aero press.

You can also make it stronger with an aero press because you don't use much water in one - it's strong like an espresso when you brew, then you add water to dilute it, so you can dilute it to your taste.

It also uses fewer grinds.

Thanks.