LADIES- what do you do for exercise when you're on your period and feel like dirt??

Options
Hi ladies! I'm looking for some advice because I typically can find excuses not to exercise MUCH easier when I have my period or cramps. But, I know not working out for a week every month is maybe the worst thing you could do for weight loss. Anyway, just looking for some advice on exercises that you like to do during this time and motivation. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink alot of water, it helps with bloating. I usually pop some IB proferin or some aleve and go to the gym and work out just like normal. I don't let my period effect my day to day. And believe it or not, working out makes you feel better, the endorphin high that comes with it, should make you forget all about your little friend. Go, bust *kitten*, and carry on :smile:
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Walking!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pick out the worst days.....1 or 2. Do some light yoga, take a brisk walk. Rest days are good for your body. Workout as usual the other 5.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I usually focus more on cardio when its my TOM. That tends to help my cramping more than anything else.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Walking the first day when the pain is bad. Then normal gym stuff.

Unlikely to do a long outside run, because my uterus would sense the distance from a proper ladies' room and do evil things just to humiliate me.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same things as I do when I'm not on my period.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I do the same routine I always do for the most part. I may do a few more one workout days, instead two-a-days, but that's about it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yoga. But then I always do yoga.
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Walk! A nice long brisk walk followed by a long shower usually helps me feel a little better on the worst days.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The day before I usually feel like <blegghhh> so I might not do anything.

But I make up for it with Cardio Kickboxing on the first and third days. I love punching and kicking AF in the FACE!!!
  • kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have endometriosis and polycistic ovaries, my monthly editions are violent... I still finding forcing myself though exercise helps, I ran a PB today on the treadmill despite my evil pains, it made me feel a lot better!
    I get lethargic the week before, also want to wee a lot when i run (I know, wtf) so I usually stick to spin and the rower, low impact.. it helps stop the phantom pains i suffer from, they get especially bad the week before with pounding activities.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    push myself to it and through it. I'm a morning exerciser; even when I'm functioning at 100%, I have to get going before I'm awake enough to talk myself out of it. ;) now it's a routine, and I just do it. I feel worse if I don't.
  • AndreaEIE
    AndreaEIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do my regular workout, and just make sure to get ahead of the cramps by taking ibuprofen before the cramping gets too intense and drinking lots of water.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't change anything. Even my long training runs. I just push through it.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »
    I do the exact same things as I do when I'm not on my period.

this
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    The same thing info every other time I exercise. Just have a meaner *kitten* face.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Lifting, I tend to start fussing at my period while I lift and it goes much better. I have been told walking or jogging helps by friends, but it does not help me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Not working out for a week every month is not the worst thing you can do for weight loss. I barely work out on my strength training deload week.

Anyway, I do the best I can. I have a pretty strict training schedule and I don't want to miss my lifts for the week. I have gone in to do a spin class and felt so bad I've had to leave, but I always go and try.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Day before and day 1: rocking myself in a fetal position, ~7 hours (have cysts but not PCOS; pain meds help but not that much)
    Day 2: nothing
    Day 3: walking

However, 2-4 days before my period, I have tons of amazing energy and tend to do harder workouts.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do anything that keeps me out of the kitchen. Generally jogging because I get hangry.