LADIES- what do you do for exercise when you're on your period and feel like dirt??

Options

Replies

• Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Take it easy. Short walk if my feet aren't swollen and achey. Flight of stairs at work. With advil!
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The only time I change anything is if my second day lands on leg day. I only had to make that mistake once!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Whatever is scheduled.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't feel any different on the rag, but I have to avoid straining activities. I only have light workout pants and...yeah, I have had catastrophic blowouts to keep me away from things like rowing machines and any kind of lifting. But those are on the two heaviest days and then it is back to business as usual.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Zumba! It's my guilty pleasure... It puts me in the best mood and I hardly consider it working out.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Walk.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I don't feel any different on the rag, but I have to avoid straining activities. I only have light workout pants and...yeah, I have had catastrophic blowouts to keep me away from things like rowing machines and any kind of lifting. But those are on the two heaviest days and then it is back to business as usual.

So much...information. lol.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing I do when I'm not on my period.

I have endometriosis and PCOS. With that being said, I get extremely painful cramps. I still manage to get a walk or lift in because exercise helps with cramps (for most people).
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I get up, pop 2 or 3 Advil and hit the gym. I do the same things that I always do. I was not one of those lucky enough that since exercising my cramps have lighted up in fact I rarely had them before. Now they kick my butt. I just cannot reason why if I can go to work, do housework, etc. why can't I get in my workout.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    If it's spin class day, I make myself go. If it's not raining, I walk the dog. I make myself do it. I refuse to let my period have power over me. Advil is my friend. I don't get cramps like I used to, I will admit that. I did get headaches a lot, not migraines but really nasty pounding headaches...my last two periods since I've been working out, I have not noticed any headache or crampiness, just bloating and of course the typical inconvenience...
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Moving makes me feel better than taking a rest day, so I do my usual workouts. If my cramps are bad, I'll do a lighter workout but still make sure that I'm staying active and drinking lots of water.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I just keep doing whatever my routine says to do for the day. And I tell myself..."there is no such thing as a bad workout." And it's the truth. You're better off whatever you do than if you did nothing at all. 100%, 50%, 25%... They're all better than 0%.

Sometimes 0% is what you can do (e.g. if you have some complicating thing going on). No one should beat themselves up for that. One or two days off is not going to completely upset the program, easy enough to just make those rest days.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do the same workouts I do any other time of the month. I should also add, I am fortunate that I don't typically get cramps, and the exercise helps with the bloated feeling.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When i don't feel like exercising because of TOM, I do it anyway - it always makes me feel better! I take less Advil now than I ever did before. If it's strength day, I do weights; if it's run day, I go for a run. If it's a particularly "bad" day on a run day, I might just do a shorter shorter run, out and back from home to avoid any problems. Pushing through exercise even when I feel yucky ALWAYS makes me feel better!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Right now I'm ovulating late for some reason, and feel almost worse than when I have my period. I went in today, exhausted, and had kind of a crappy work out. Don't regret it though. Better luck next week.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Right now I'm ovulating late for some reason, and feel almost worse than when I have my period. I went in today, exhausted, and had kind of a crappy work out. Don't regret it though. Better luck next week.

You're not alone. I know exactly when I'm ovulating because I feel like *kitten*. Terrible cramps, nausea, and abdominal pain. Oh, the joys of being a woman...
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You're not alone. I know exactly when I'm ovulating because I feel like *kitten*. Terrible cramps, nausea, and abdominal pain. Oh, the joys of being a woman...

Right? Sometimes I'll be out in public, standing in a store and just FEEL it. I'm also psychotic during ovulation, more so than period.
  • katycombs33
    Options
    If she is anything like me, the cramps are nothing compared to the extreme sleepiness I get during my cycle. I get seriously down for the count. Exercise is the last thing I want to do...sometimes being a woman truly stinks :(
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't usually get cramps, but I do feel flu-like with a full body achiness for the first three days. I've found that the more I keep my heart rate up, the more condensed my period is--by days if I really keep active all day. Most months I do whatever my regular work out is, and then lots of deep cleaning around the house just to keep me moving and distracted from how totally crappy I feel.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I am fine with cardio during TOM but my heavy lifting really suffers. I work out 2x per day most days per week so I can afford to take a day off or just do yoga one or two days per month, so if I feel tired, I rest and let my muscles rebuild.