What's harder for you: the food or exercise?

Options

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Food by leaps and bounds. The workouts leave me feeling like I've accomplished something....and that I'm getting better...the food on the other hand...that is a very different story.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Food. I'm pretty good about finding a workout I like -- right now it's Bar Method and strength training, in the past yoga and Pilates.

Love chocolate and refuse to give it up. MFP is great because it's all about the macros. Teaching me how to do this right and still eat all my favorite things!

The best thing if exercise is hard for you is find a friend and do it together. My husband and I have been strength training together almost three years now! Group classes are social and a good way to work out with other people who help keep you motivated.

Yeah, I was doing pretty well when I was going to the gym, but due to finances, I had to quit and do it alone. I can't think of anyone in my circle to exercise with at the moment, but will keep that in mind.
  • eidnahenri2
    Options
    Dealing with pretty severe chronic pain, permanent nerve damage in my hands and wrists (no heavy lifting for me, per doctor's orders), other mobility challenges, in addition to some other non-weight related health issues, I find "real exercise" to be much more difficult. I refuse to be lazy, so I push myself as much as I can, but often pay for it dearly later. It's much easier to eat at a reasonable deficit, and much much easier during the short growing season here when the farmers markets are open.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Some great replies so far. I think exercise is harder (for me) because I am so busy like so many of you. When I was going to the gym, it would be the drive to and from, exercise, then shower & makeup. All together, that would be take about 1/12 to 2 hours. Some of you work very long hours or shift work, and may have kids or go to school, or have other responsibilities, so yeah, I can understand. Cheers to those who do it anyway (and me too). :drinker:
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is the to gain the motivation to exercise. I find myself dragging *kitten* into the gym every day. Unless I've had a crappy day, then I'm ready for it.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is the to gain the motivation to exercise. I find myself dragging *kitten* into the gym every day. Unless I've had a crappy day, then I'm ready for it.

guess you can hope for more crappy days then!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Food. Exercise has become fun and I feel odd on rest days. But food is still a kicker. I don't have problem staying under my calories - but I am a Carb-o-holic and love breads, spaghetti, and GUMMY treats. Oh I could eat an entire bag of gummy bears without blinking an eye. So.... my vise is my candy addiction.

otherwise its all become pretty much habit. The exercise used to be hard and finding the motivation to do it. But now...its the opposite I need to find the strength to actually rest my body a day or two.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise. I'm a lazy bum and it's easier for me to control my food then get my *kitten* off the couch to go do a run. I ran off and on for a while, but now I'm just tracking my food. Most of my 65 pounds was lost sitting on my bum.

Lucky ducky.
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    FOOD without a doubt. I love going to the gym, and I've always been an active person. I just simply love food too damn much haha.
  • p00ki3nb00
    p00ki3nb00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The Food! I love exercising now, just eating healthy and changing the way to eat now, i.e. food prep for the day/week! Was so much easier to go to a drive thu than preparing it yourself!
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Food by far.

It took two weeks for me to get use to regular exercise and after 5 months, I actually look forward to it.

Food is a constant battle, I can't be around pizza and not want to eat it. I actually throw out all take-out flyers now and avoid buying junk so its not in the house.
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Food. I've been fortunate to find exercises and activities that I actually enjoy, but I can't seem to escape the daily desire for donuts, chocolate, and anything fried or covered in cheese. I know, I know - moderation is key, and yes, I do allow myself those things from time to time. Life would be miserable without donuts!
  • callasm
    callasm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Exercising for me!
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    THE FOOD

I can exercise, its feels good after

but DAMN I miss my chili cheese fries and mint oreos
  • MRMCCRACKEN
    Options
    Exercise. Never enjoyed it. Hated gym class. Have to MAKE myself. However, just started lifting and so far I really enjoy.
  • steelerkelly
    steelerkelly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    food, most definitely! I love working out.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I love working out. I dont have issues with food in general, but it's def the harder part for me.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    The exercise is easier for me because I get up and do it first thing in the morning and it's done. The food is ongoing throughout the day with multiple opportunities to eat more than I should, be tempted by goodies brought in by a co-worker or not resist the call of my local DQ.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Still hoping I'll find something that I really enjoy enough that I don't have to force myself...

On the food side, the only thing I find tough is going over on alcohol calories on the weekend...
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset. Rather than "exercise," "be active." Join a volleyball team or bowling league or some intramural sport if that is your thing...or, join a walking club for middle agers (I am in your age group, so don't blast me). Find an activity that you enjoy, that is moderately active, and you will succeed. IF you are doing something don't enjoy (exercise has such a negative connotation, doesn't it), you won't keep doing it. ;)