Biggest eye opener from weighing food

Options
123457»

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The one thing I changed last time I replaced mine was to get the bowl kind. It's so much more convenient than having to dirty one just to weigh little things that spread out or roll around. The bowl part is removable to wash, too. It's a lot more convenient than my last one where I had to try and wipe it down without letting any water drip into the part that said "do not submerge".
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cereal, apples, and peanut butter as pretty much everyone else has said.

Cereal weighed out is pretty pathetic, and not even worth it. Sad when I want to "cheat" by just having a darn bowl of cereal, and I mean a BOWL not a serving size more appropriate for a mouse.

On the other hand, I was surprised how many strawberries you can have for one 35ish calorie serving, and deli meat. I used to probably only use half a serving tops of meat for a sandwich, but now you bet I get every stinkin' bit I can get for one serving.
  • markzak26
    markzak26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    markzak26 wrote: »
    So many things! But the biggest eye opener was basmati rice. I weighed out 100grams and thought "WTF" I probably used to eat 600grams, maybe even more before logging food.

I'm sure you've got it right, but people should be careful of the difference between raw and cooked weight with rice and pasta.

70g raw (dried) weight = about 210g cooked weight, as it absorbs water.

So it can be easy to massively under or overeat!

Yeah, I weigh it out when cooked, but you're right. Many people may not know this.
  • kate_19o
    kate_19o Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely potatoes for me!! Used to log as just a medium generic baked potato but once I started weighing them they increased by 200+ calories!!
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are complaining about the serving size of cereal. Something like cornflakes only has 108 cals per "serving", so I can easily afford to eat 2 servings for breakfast even when I include the extra milk.

I am of the opinion that the serving size is so small because you are meant to eat cereal AND something else, such as toast.