My partner's sweet tooth problem - he is making me eat more than I should!

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I get what your saying. My dear MIL weekly buys us chocolate. We asked her to stop, but it seems she has selective hearing. So we put them all in a box and if we have the calories spare, we may indulge. Sometime people either can't take the hint and don't want to take the hint. At the same time I get your partners view that he wants enough to satisfy his craving but not have the whole thing. Maybe you should let him know its ok to throw the other half away or keep it for another day and not pester you with it?

My fiance's grandmother does this, but with fresh donuts from a bakery by her house. A full dozen gourmet delicious donuts, delivered to us EVERY time she visits.

We usually keep two and split one for dessert for the next two nights, and I take the rest to work. Plenty of people there appreciate them and most importantly, they're out of my house and totally gone from the kitchen at work within hours!! :)

Oooh donuts would be harder to deal with! Well done for coping with that, taking them to work would definitely do the trick! :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    You can't blame your partner for what you put in your mouth.

Giggity... and this.

Glad I'm not the only one who had this reaction.... Both of them actually.

Your profile picture is made of awesome. You're cleansing, aren't you? ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Giggity... and this.

You know it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes, I did …

I divorced her…

I suggest you do the same. ...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this happens to all of us. My partner, who have a sweet tooth, always expect me to join him whenever he has cravings for sweets. Eat half of this muffin, share this with me, order this with me, etc. I do eat a bit to be polite, but at the same time it really makes me angry because I don't want to!!! Of course you could say NO but I know that he won't like it. He is already much healthier than before but he is trying to put his guilt on me, too.....How do you deal with this??? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Nope doesn't happen to me. My husband's default diet is burgers, pizza, and donuts. The only fruits/veggies he eats are iceberg lettuce, mashed potatoes, french fries, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and ketchup. He still doesn't push me to eat anything and if he does offer me food and I don't want it I just say no. You have to take responsibility for what you put in your body. Nobody else has that responsibility but you.
  • ChicagOH
    ChicagOH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If it's your partner, that's easy. Tell him if he quits handing you junk food, you will be far more likely to crave his trouser treat - and then follow through as often as time allows. Much tougher when coworkers or Grandma does it. Good luck.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Giggity... and this.

You know it!

Wait I thought only yellow peeps for cleansing!

Aren't blue peeps for bulking?

does this mean you are doing a clean bulk?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Giggity... and this.

You know it!

I'm mixing things up to shock my body.

(And Giggity Again!)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    I think we worry too much about upsetting others and don't consider how much they upset us. You are your own person and he is his. Nobody "makes" us do anything. If want it have it. If you really don't want it don't have it. When you start letting other people become the master of your life you have lost control. Be careful with that one!

Absolutely this.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Sigh. So HIM liking to eat sweets is forcing you to eat it? No. These foods can also be eaten within a calorie deficit.

He is not forcing anything. You are simply not saying no. Stop shoving off control onto other people or other things and take responsibility for your eating and for waht will happen when you go over/under your caloric intake needs.

Unless he is literally shoving these foods down your throat, he is not forcing you.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Giggity... and this.

You know it!

I think its the green peeps for bulking :p

giphy.gif
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Errr... I say no. Because my partner doesnt grab my hand, pick up the cake and put it in my mouth.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just had to answer to this. My lovely (skinny) husband has been pushing food, especially sweets on me since we've been married--28 yrs. We go out to dinner on friday and saturday nights, and I used to fight him tooth and nail in public. I said no, and no and no. I couldn't win. If he wore me down and I ate it, I was miserable. If I held my ground to the end, he had a long face and I felt awful. Since I started MFP 2 yrs ago, it's been a liberation. Now I know how many calories I can eat a day and I prepare for our outings. I leave enough calories to eat half a desert, and 2 pieces of his pizza( I have a salad). He still tries to give me half his pizza, but I politely say "no, a third to a half". Everyone has to figure it out, but I can now actually enjoy an evening out with my husband. B)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this happens to all of us. My partner, who have a sweet tooth, always expect me to join him whenever he has cravings for sweets. Eat half of this muffin, share this with me, order this with me, etc. I do eat a bit to be polite, but at the same time it really makes me angry because I don't want to!!! Of course you could say NO but I know that he won't like it. He is already much healthier than before but he is trying to put his guilt on me, too.....How do you deal with this??? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Be firm and say no. Tell your partner that he can eat what he likes but you will not join him eating those things as you don't want it.
    You control what goes in your body. You don't have to eat something just because he wants it. If he only wants half a portion he can throw the other half away or dave the rest for another time.
    If he makes you feel bad, guilty or gets angry at you just for declining food please rethink your relationship with him.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

Giggity... and this.

You know it!

I think its the green peeps for bulking :p

giphy.gif

They make green peeps now?

@tincanonastring‌ needs to clarify all this. Clearly I wasn't paying enough attention
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just say no- I can't afford it today.

And that's it.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the comments here. I just have one thing to add:

If you feel bad or guilty for not eating the half of whatever he's offering you because it's wasteful (not sure if you do, but I just wanted to address it since no one else did) - thank him for the offer and wrap it up and put it in the fridge/freezer/wherever. HE can eat it the next time he has a craving for half a muffin or whatever else. You do NOT have to eat it just because it's there.

This, 100%. I have a hard time not "finishing my plate" or simply eating food because it exists in my space, and it's taken me years to get used to the idea that I can either save it for later (whatever it is) or simply choose not to eat something available and offered to me.

This may not be your experience, OP, but if you feel like you absolutely cannot say no, then you need to examine why. And if it's because your partner makes you feel bad/guilts you into it when you do decline, then that's a relationship issue you need to discuss with him. Not a food issue.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same, I just say no thanks. I don't know why he would be upset that you didn't eat a certain food?
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh it wasn't supposed to be a serious thread guys!!! :s If I eat more sweets, I just eat less in the next meal or do more workout... not a big deal. not talking about a huge cake here! I have talked about it with him and it's been better. but many years ago my ex's mother used to get really, really upset if I did not eat enough of her food (she was Italian) when we visited her.... kind of scary if you have to experience everyday like this. anyways! happy, healthy fitness!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Errr... I say no. Because my partner doesnt grab my hand, pick up the cake and put it in my mouth.
    If they did it would be right after the "quit hitting yourself" and noogies.
    quit-hitting-yourself-o.gif