can you eat 158 grams of protein in one meal?

Options
If you cant what would happen if you do? Because I always manage to eat that much in one meal.

Replies

• RalfyJ90
    RalfyJ90 Posts: 17
    Options
    The way I see it. If it fits in your calorie or macros. Eat up!
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    RalfyJ90 wrote: »
    The way I see it. If it fits in your calorie or macros. Eat up!

Cool! :smile: Thank you!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You can, yes. I have. But it might be too much protein for your system to absorb and use, especially if you're doing it three times a day.

I don't know how you're going to lose weight eating upwards of 450 grams of protein daily though. If you're telling us the truth, you must be eating more than 5,000 calories a day.
  • taylorblade
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    You can, yes. I have. But it might be too much protein for your system to absorb and use, especially if you're doing it three times a day.

I don't know how you're going to lose weight eating upwards of 450 grams of protein daily though. If you're telling us the truth, you must be eating more than 5,000 calories a day.

No! I only need 158 protein for my bodyweight thats all
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've done it plenty of times, you will be fine.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If you cant what would happen if you do? Because I always manage to eat that much in one meal.

Well, if that's you in your profile pic, you are a young and active male, so you likely do need a fair amount of protein.

The only reasons to limit a macro are preference and/or medical needs. Medical needs which might warrant the limitation of protein include kidney disease and gout. If you have not been diagnosed with these or any other condition, you're fine with a high-protein meal.

I wish I liked protein so much that it was easy to put that much down in a single meal, LOL. I am on about 95g per day and I struggle to meet it!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Okay, I think I see where I'm going wrong. When you said, "Because I always manage to eat that much in one meal," I just assumed that you were eating more than one meal a day.

• taylorblade
    Options

Okay, I think I see where I'm going wrong. When you said, "Because I always manage to eat that much in one meal," I just assumed that you were eating more than one meal a day.

Oh yes sir! Its no problem. Thank you though! :smile:
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sashimi?
  • taylorblade
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Well, if that's you in your profile pic, you are a young and active male, so you likely do need a fair amount of protein.

The only reasons to limit a macro are preference and/or medical needs. Medical needs which might warrant the limitation of protein include kidney disease and gout. If you have not been diagnosed with these or any other condition, you're fine with a high-protein meal.

I wish I liked protein so much that it was easy to put that much down in a single meal, LOL. I am on about 95g per day and I struggle to meet it!

Well actually I need that much protein to maintain my muscle mass and shed body fat. Because since im a athlete
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I couldn't I don't think...but one could I'm sure.
  • taylorblade
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I've done it plenty of times, you will be fine.

Thanks!
  • taylorblade
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I couldn't I don't think...but one could I'm sure.

I guess.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. You probably won't even utilize most of it at that one sitting though, so it just becomes expensive poop.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Holy hell!!! How on earth do you eat 158 grams of protein in one meal????? I'm doing good if I get 30 grams in a day!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you are asking this. Are you just wanting to see if other people can eat that much? Or are you asking if it's bad for you?

But yes, I think I could. I had 90g this morning.
  • jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Your body will only use about thirty grams of it at a time thats why you should eat more meals
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand why you are asking this. Are you just wanting to see if other people can eat that much? Or are you asking if it's bad for you?

But yes, I think I could. I had 90g this morning.

I assumed he was asking that because it's commonly claimed that your body can only use 30 grams at a time. (I interpreted it as "can your body digest/use 158 grams of protein at a time.")

That's what the article I linked was about. (It says the common claim is wrong.)