can you eat 158 grams of protein in one meal?

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Oh, interesting. I thought he was asking because the number seemed high or he thought it would cause a problem. Thought maybe the "one meal" was a typo/brain fart.

But, given the "I'm such an athlete" response to my observation that he looked...like an athlete? I am obviously missing the point of the thread.

So people have opined that you need to time your protein? Is that credible, or is it like the "no carbs after 6/OMG no carbs BEFORE 6 you moron!" debate? (aka, nonsense)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Oh God. It's you again.

This.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Holy hell!!! How on earth do you eat 158 grams of protein in one meal????? I'm doing good if I get 30 grams in a day!
    Protein Cereal and Skim Milk
  • taylorblade
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand why you are asking this. Are you just wanting to see if other people can eat that much? Or are you asking if it's bad for you?

But yes, I think I could. I had 90g this morning.

I assumed he was asking that because it's commonly claimed that your body can only use 30 grams at a time. (I interpreted it as "can your body digest/use 158 grams of protein at a time.")

That's what the article I linked was about. (It says the common claim is wrong.)

So the 30g protein claim is wrong?
  • taylorblade
    Options
    I don't understand why you are asking this. Are you just wanting to see if other people can eat that much? Or are you asking if it's bad for you?

But yes, I think I could. I had 90g this morning.[/quote
    My question is asking.
  • taylorblade
    Options

My question is asking.
  • taylorblade
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sure you can. You probably won't even utilize most of it at that one sitting though, so it just becomes expensive poop.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I always eat that much and I never have to use the rest room.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sure you can. You probably won't even utilize most of it at that one sitting though, so it just becomes expensive poop.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I always eat that much and I never have to use the rest room.
    Yeah, too much protein does that to me too.

• conradCLE
    Options
    I do all the time 65% of my daily incoming is protein though.
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    Options
    jjsilcox96 wrote: »
    Your body will only use about thirty grams of it at a time thats why you should eat more meals

This guy hit it on the head you may be eating 150 grams but your body only got 30 grams of protein out of the 150 grams which were converted to future energy needs not future protein needs. Your body can't store protein as a protein which is why people struggle to get enough protein hence eating 6 times a day every three hours to get 30 grams in each meal. You can also supplement protein I do two 50 gram protein shakes everyday to keep my level close to 300 grams- I also eat a lot of fish and shrimp because their low in calories and carbs.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I assumed he was asking that because it's commonly claimed that your body can only use 30 grams at a time. (I interpreted it as "can your body digest/use 158 grams of protein at a time.")

That's what the article I linked was about. (It says the common claim is wrong.)

So the 30g protein claim is wrong?

According to the article I linked it is. I don't know, but it makes good sense to me--check it out.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Holy hell!!! How on earth do you eat 158 grams of protein in one meal????? I'm doing good if I get 30 grams in a day!

It's very easy though. I can eat several pounds of sashimi in the same meal. Sooooooo yummy!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Oh God. It's you again.

Don't scare him. He is entertaining.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat that much protein without seriously going over my calories. ...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    30mphmike wrote: »
    jjsilcox96 wrote: »
    Your body will only use about thirty grams of it at a time thats why you should eat more meals

This guy hit it on the head you may be eating 150 grams but your body only got 30 grams of protein out of the 150 grams which were converted to future energy needs not future protein needs. Your body can't store protein as a protein which is why people struggle to get enough protein hence eating 6 times a day every three hours to get 30 grams in each meal. You can also supplement protein I do two 50 gram protein shakes everyday to keep my level close to 300 grams- I also eat a lot of fish and shrimp because their low in calories and carbs.
    guess I just poop out all the extra protein then, comes out in little protein cubes.

People don't struggle to get enough protein because they eat too much protein in a meal. they struggle because they don't eat ennough protein period. The only reason to eat 6 meals a day is if it helps you with satiety, if it's required for e.g. blood sugar, or if you are bulking and your calories are so high that eating 3-4 1000-calorie meals would just be uncomfortable. Has nothing to do with eating 30g of protein 6x a day (especially since not everyone will need to eat 180g of protein a day).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's five cans of tuna in one go. Yeah, I could do it if I had to....but....!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I just made a smoothie with over 50g of protein in it. I used 2 scoops of protein powder instead of one. Was that extra scoop a complete waste of time ? This stuff is way too expensive to waste.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @mr_knight I hope you get outta jail soon. I cringe every time I see your name in my notifications as I have to switch over to desktop view on my phone then go find my magnifying glass because it turns the page into tiny ant writing. I like reading your posts, plus it helps keep the gist of the the thread when you can read everyone's replies. Okay, vent over :wink: