Commonly confused serving sizes (pasta, others?)

Options
1235»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    The problem with spaghetti and "two ounces dry weight" is that I cook for two or three people at a time. So once I put in 6 ounces of dry pasta, I have no idea if I'm accurately serving myself a third of it.

Get a pasta insert.
  • dupuye
    dupuye Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Meat confuses me. Many entries don't specify raw vs. cooked. Or some specify roasting when what I have done is poached it. Does that make a difference?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    holly55555 wrote: »
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    I hate the serving sizes of popcorn. It confuses that daylights out of me.

RIGHT?! I was accidentally eating 400 extra calories of popcorn almost daily, because I didn't realize that the label was having you do all this math. It totally convoluted serving size vs popped vs kernals ack! They tricked me but now I just buy the 100 cal packs to make it easy.
    I've weighed my kernels before and after popping and they weighed the same when I included any of the duds that didn't actually pop :/ So unless there is a difference between air-popped and bagged/oil-popped?
    Yeah, unless you're cooking the kernals in oil and/or adding butter and seasonings, then there should be no meaningful difference in weight between popped and unpopped.
    I add 60g unpopped to an airpopper and if every kernal pops I'll get 60g of popped corn.

This is why I generally weigh it after popping, otherwise I lose like 10-15g of popcorn because it doesn't all pop and some end up gonners on the floor and not worth eating lol.

Generally I do too. Also cuz the majority of the time when I make it it's because hubs also wants popcorn. So I remove 30 or so grams of popped popcorn afterwards for me and then season my portion how I want. Whereas he likes butter and all the fixins on his portion which is whatever is left minus the duds and the airborne popcorn that flew across the kitchen, lol.

Honestly, if anyone eats popcorn often and is watching calories, just get an airpopper. They're so cheap (I don't think I even paid $20 for mine) and logging popcorn is such a breeze.
    Yup, mine was super cheap. Got a new one for Christmas after the one from like.. the 80s finally died. Quick, easy, no mess, etc.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dupuye wrote: »
    Meat confuses me. Many entries don't specify raw vs. cooked. Or some specify roasting when what I have done is poached it. Does that make a difference?

@dupuye‌

Just put in the one you want "raw" or however you cooked it. Ideally you want to do raw but that isn't always possible. You can find entries for how it is cooked, like "poached", "chicken roasted". You can even search "roasted skin on".
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand weighing things like pasta or rice cooked. Wouldn't the weight vary by how long they were cooked/how much water they'd absorbed?

I eat a high protein bean pasta mixed with a lot of vegetables so have learned to be content with the 2 ounce serving, but it was very sad looking at first.

Yes there may be a variable but I weigh both pasta and rice cooked because meals are made for 4 in my house. I'm not cooking separately for myself, especially if it is something we're all going to be eating.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    BTW, dry vs cooked 2oz (57g) pasta on an 8" diameter plate because I only have 8" and 10" plates. It was in the pot for like 30 minutes btw.

saukeub6rsem.jpg
    IMG_20150318_201049_zpscvnrudfh.jpg
    IMG_20150318_210826_zpssamsnxoq.jpg

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    People measuring any solid food with a cup confuses me. I see it a lot with cereal and fruit pieces especially.

Why would measuring out a cup of dry cereal be wrong? If the serving size listed is 3/4 of a cup or 1 cup or whatever, why would it be more accurate to weigh it? I use measuring cups for this type of thing. I do weigh fruit and log it in ounces.

I *always* weigh my cereal. I find there is a huge difference in volume between the beginning of the box and the end when you hit the smaller pieces.

Plus, it's easier, and makes no extra dishes! Sit bowl on scale, hit zero. Add cereal to desired number of grams. Pour milk in, eat.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    BTW, dry vs cooked 2oz (57g) pasta on an 8" diameter plate because I only have 8" and 10" plates. It was in the pot for like 30 minutes btw.

saukeub6rsem.jpg
    IMG_20150318_201049_zpscvnrudfh.jpg
    IMG_20150318_210826_zpssamsnxoq.jpg

This doesn't look much less than my picture :)

(but yes: I cook my pasta a long time! I do need to do this again though, to make sure that was 2oz pasta and not 200 calories of pasta, which with the ronzoni150 would be ~2.5oz dry. I haven't made real pasta is many months because my family weirdly all prefer konjac noodles now)