Whole Milk vs Skim

Options

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Raw, Whole or 2% for me. I dont mind the fat for the taste I prefer.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When you guys say you add "cream" to your coffee, do you mean cream, cream ? Like the stuff you whip and put on top of a cake etc etc?

I do. Heavy whipping cream, 50 cals, 5g of fat per tbs.

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I only drink whole milk. We did 2% for a while when I was growing up, so I don't mind that, but I can't deal with 1% or skim.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    High fat dairy for all the things!
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    psmd wrote: »
    When you guys say you add "cream" to your coffee, do you mean cream, cream ? Like the stuff you whip and put on top of a cake etc etc?

So I mean the kind of cream that's in the dairy section, I think it's called "light cream." I don't think it's whipping cream. It's 60 cal and 5g of fat per 30 mL. It is sooo good and doesn't take a lot to make coffee good.

Yeah that's normal cream then. The calories and fat are the same as the carton of cream in my fridge . I've honestly never known anyone who puts that in their coffee. It sounds nice though :smile:

I'm in Aus too. All I want to do is try cream in my coffee now but does that mean I add the cream when I put my almond milk in.

When I make my coffee I put coffee and a sweetener in then my almond milk then the water. Where should I add the cream ? lol

People who use cream use it instead of milk. Isn't the almond milk a milk replacement? You'd use it instead of that. But to be honest I'm not understanding why you are adding water at the end. I would make coffee and then (if I were to add something) add it to the finished black coffee. I like it black now, but back in college I'd just pour the dairy into the black coffee.
    I think maybe she's adding water to instant coffee?

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Only almond milk in my home... Not for health reasons though, its because I prefer the flavour of it, and its the only milk my daughter will drink. She describes whole milk as goopy, and any low fat milk as nasty milk water.

Now, if we run low on almond milk shes like...Milk mom, we NEED MILK! Which is kind of awesome...cause I was getting sick of her eating cereal straight out the box.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. Dietary fat is an essential macro nutrient and really, low fat diets are just about the worst thing you can possibly do to yourself.

I'm personally partial to whole milk...skim milk just tastes like white water and is pointless IMO. That said, I rarely want to spend my calories on milk...and we buy the stuff at Costco so we usually just get 1%. It's easier on the calories...I was drinking whole milk though when I did my bulk cycle.

It's all relative to what you're trying to accomplish and how you want to make things work with your energy requirements.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    skim, just prefer the taste
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I was raised whole milk, and I still drink whole milk.... though I've cut down to about 3 cups/day now to save on calories.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk and add heavy cream. Eh.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Skim for cereal, whole for everything else. Whole milk on cereal tastes like one step up from yogurt, blecch.
  • raebea
    raebea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been striving to make my food as natural as possible, so basically as close to where it came from as I can from a supermarket (city living...). I switched to organic, grass-fed, non-homogenized whole milk and while it took some getting used to, I love it now. In moderation, of course.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a dairy farm....raw milk all the way!!! Even most lactose intolerant people find they can drink raw milk....we had a lot of private buyers who could not drink store bought milk but did fabulously with milk straight from the farm. It took me over three years after moving away from home before I could drink store bought milk! I find that it gives me a stomach ache (and tastes funny)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Skim. I just don't think whole milk is worth the extra calories. I am not even sure skim milk is worth the calories and have mostly switched to a 35 cal almond/coconut blend.

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    our milkman deliveres whole. i have two skinny boys who need the extra fat and i dont drink it often so when i do i prefer the full fat verzion.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    On the rare occasion I drink milk, I can only tolerate skim - I find even 2% to be waaay too thick for me. But, I honestly can't remember the last time I consumed straight milk - I'm theoretically fine with the concept of dairy/cows' milk, I do eat other dairy and use milk in cooking where called for and such (plus I use a bit of half and half in my coffee), but drinking a big old glass or even using it in cereal or something just doesn't appeal to me from either a taste or calorie perspective. My kids (5 and 3) drink whole, though - I've been convinced by the evidence that it's a better choice nutritionally, especially for youngins.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    We drink 1%. Is that a Canadian thing? I could never bring myself to drink skim. It looks blue. I see new MFP'ers getting surprised by the sugar content in skim milk. Yes, without the fat, all you've got left is the protein and the natural lactose sugar. So it will look sweeter than the fuller fat milks.

IMO low fat milk does not fall in to the "more processed" category. I mean, you could low-fat milk yourself by skimming the fat off. If we had time to milk the cow. And grow the hay. And all that.

I do avoid "low fat" peanut butter and prepackaged cookies and the lot because they tend to add sugar to make it more palatable. C'mon people! I mean the manufacturers. I'm not fooled.

I also get annoyed when foods naturally low in fat are now marketed that way. Like low-fat Jell-O. C'mon people! I mean the manufacturers.

Yes, all this.

We have 1% in the US also. 2% is just the more common low fat alternative. 1% is more common than it was when I was growing up, though, especially for things like cottage cheese.
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I prefer skim, the others taste oily to me. My son likes whole, so I buy that for him. I accidentally put the whole milk in my coffee last week, yuck. I had to pour it out.
  • wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's best to leave things the way nature intended. Many people drink skim milk because they think all fat is bad for you. There is a reason why milk contains fat to begin with.

Most people aren't aware of how skim milk is even made, it's pretty disgusting. Fat-free milk used to be an industrial waste product after the cream was skimmed.

Here is an excerpt from an article I read:

"Before processing, skim milk has a very unappetizing blueish color, a chalky taste, and watery texture that doesn’t resemble natural milk at all. So, to whiten, thicken, and make it taste a little more normal, powdered milk solids are often mixed into the milk.

What’s so bad about powdered milk? Well, in the manufacturing process, liquid milk is forced through tiny holes at very high pressure, which causes the cholesterol in the milk to oxidize, and toxic nitrates to form. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, while unoxidized cholesterol from unprocessed foods is actually an antioxidant to help fight inflammation in the body. The proteins found in powdered milk are so denatured that they are unrecognizable by the body and contribute to inflammation.

Shockingly, dairy manufacturers are not required by the FDA to label the powdered milk as a separate ingredient, because it’s still technically just “milk,” the single ingredient found on the list. So, there’s no way to be sure that it is or isn’t in your fat-free or low-fat dairy products."
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For the everyday, I typically do not consume milk. Truly, it is useless for our bodies and we can get calcium, vitamin D, etc. in whole foods. I use So Delicious Coconut Creamer for coffee and drink Almond or Cashew milk with my protein shakes or even making hot chocolate. As for other dairy, I do use unflavored Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and do eat aged cheeses.

Oh will consume raw milk if it is available. My in-laws raise goats so I will sometimes get raw goats milk - creamy, rich and excellent for the gut. Every once in a great while, the goats will get into a patch of wild onion plants and then their milk is not drinkable! Eewww!