gym = embarrasing

Options

Replies

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It's helpful to remember: most people are thinking about themselves 98% of the time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    When our tax refund comes thru we are joining an aquatic center. It has a fitness room, a lap pool, a warm pool, and small hot tub...I am excited but also uneasy because I bought a new suit....but hey it holds in all my bawdy bits sooo...Im gonna swim laps like I know what the heck I am doing :-)!!!

The hardest thing about my whole new life was the first time I put a swimsuit on and went to a water aerobics class. There was all my fat hanging out for all to see! One of the best moments was one year (and 70 lb. lighter than I weighed for my first class). I wore a new suit and was a little later than usual so almost every one of the regulars was already in the pool. As I started down the steps into the water, there were tons of "OMG, you look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't realize it was you." comments. They were used to seeing me with most of my body under water.

In other words, as uncomfortable as it may be in the beginning, the rewards far outweigh everything.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    There are a lot of people in there in your state, and a lot of fit people in there that used to be overweight. When I see very overweight people in the gym I think "AWESOME FOR THEM", they are taking the first steps. When I see overweight people waddle out of Dennys I think...."DISGUSTING....they don't have to be like this". Be more embarrassed about not being in the gym :smile: The hard work will pay off, if you honestly put your all in.....I promise it will pay off.

That's a pretty arrogant judgement to make. How do you know that one or two or several of those "fat people waddling" aren't doing something to lose weight and maybe they were just out with their family. My family and I stop at Dennys when we're on a road trip..or Cracker Barrel, or IHOP....how do you know I didn't order an egg white omelette and black coffee??!

People like you making judgments like that are the reason overweight people DO feel embarrassed when they go to the gym. My friend told me her husband often makes remarks about "look at the fattie" if they see someone overweight trying to walk or jog along the road. I had a huge fear of being judged when I first got my bicycle and was riding out in public for everyone to see me.

What if I had just finished a 20 mile bike ride, went home, got changed into regular clothes and stopped at the diner on my way to work for a cheeseburger because I was starving and needed the protein and energy? Yeah, you'd probably sit there in judgement of me.

You should be ashamed. You don't know the stories of random strangers.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    :D
    jcondeee wrote: »
    I have also felt that way at gyms but recently I joing Planet Fitness and love it. It's a "No judgement Zone"

My daughter and her boyfriend joined Planet Fitness and they say the same thing...they love it too

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    There are a lot of people in there in your state, and a lot of fit people in there that used to be overweight. When I see very overweight people in the gym I think "AWESOME FOR THEM", they are taking the first steps. When I see overweight people waddle out of Dennys I think...."DISGUSTING....they don't have to be like this". Be more embarrassed about not being in the gym :smile: The hard work will pay off, if you honestly put your all in.....I promise it will pay off.

That's a pretty arrogant judgement to make. How do you know that one or two or several of those "fat people waddling" aren't doing something to lose weight and maybe they were just out with their family. My family and I stop at Dennys when we're on a road trip..or Cracker Barrel, or IHOP....how do you know I didn't order an egg white omelette and black coffee??!

People like you making judgments like that are the reason overweight people DO feel embarrassed when they go to the gym. My friend told me her husband often makes remarks about "look at the fattie" if they see someone overweight trying to walk or jog along the road. I had a huge fear of being judged when I first got my bicycle and was riding out in public for everyone to see me.

What if I had just finished a 20 mile bike ride, went home, got changed into regular clothes and stopped at the diner on my way to work for a cheeseburger because I was starving and needed the protein and energy? Yeah, you'd probably sit there in judgement of me.

Would it have been less arrogant had he said "when I see overweight people at Denny's eating an order of Moons over My Hammy, with 2 sides of pancakes and a plate of bacon", or if he would have said "when I see overweight people eating a big mac from McDonalds". I think you missed the point completely because you were so quick to jump on the defensive. Losing weight and being healthy is a lifestyle change, so when I, you, he or anyone for that matter sees an overweight person walking out of the gym that is awesome as that person clearly is trying to better themselves. Should he have said waddle? Probably not, but he was giving a compliment to people that are trying. That is all, no need to over think it.

Oh and if someone is in need of Protein and energy I can think of much healthier alternatives than popping into Dennys for a cheeseburger after a run. Don't get me wrong, I eat all the food, cheeseburgers, cheese cake, pizza etc. but in Moderation and because i am far enough along in my journey to do so without comprimising my "lifestyle change" for a person new to that journey Denny's cheeseburgers aren't really the greatest source of protein.

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Just put on your headphones and get into your own world! Ignore everyone else around you. They are not even paying attention to you. I promise! Nothing to be ashamed of. That's normal in the beginning to feel uncomfortable. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help with the machines if you don't know what to do. Everybody working at gyms are there to help and it's great that you are on the right path! Believe in yourself! You can do it!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Would it have been less arrogant had he said "when I see overweight people at Denny's eating an order of Moons over My Hammy, with 2 sides of pancakes and a plate of bacon", or if he would have said "when I see overweight people eating a big mac from McDonalds". I think you missed the point completely because you were so quick to jump on the defensive. Losing weight and being healthy is a lifestyle change, so when I, you, he or anyone for that matter sees an overweight person walking out of the gym that is awesome as that person clearly is trying to better themselves. Should he have said waddle? Probably not, but he was giving a compliment to people that are trying. That is all, no need to over think it.

Oh and if someone is in need of Protein and energy I can think of much healthier alternatives than popping into Dennys for a cheeseburger after a run. Don't get me wrong, I eat all the food, cheeseburgers, cheese cake, pizza etc. but in Moderation and because i am far enough along in my journey to do so without comprimising my "lifestyle change" for a person new to that journey Denny's cheeseburgers aren't really the greatest source of protein.

IIFYM and it's NYOB. Period.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Anyone else feel the same way? I can't shake the feeling of embarrassment everytime I step into the gym though I know with time it will go away. But does anyone share the same feeling?
    The truth is nobody in the gym really cares about what you're doing or how you look. Like you, they are more concerned about themselves, what they are doing and how they look.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'm too busy judging everyone else.

Just kidding.

I do feel somewhat self-conscious most of the time, but it's tolerable.
  • Selah722
    Selah722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I felt awkward at first.. I guess because I didn't know what I was doing. After finding a plan online and following that for a few weeks I felt much more confident because even though I didn't look great. I knew what I was doing, and I was doing it!. and after a while I realized that its totally true that no one else is really paying attention to you, ( unless you're on the machine they want or don't wipe it down when your done.) haha! and half the people I first thought were "so into working out" were really less dedicated than I was!
  • arizonahiker
    arizonahiker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Several years ago when I first started I lifted really lite and was self conscious about it. It didn't help that I really didn't know what I was doing and probably looked silly but I went and lifted with the rest of them. After a few weeks people started offering advice and helping I really feel it was they saw I was serious about it because I kept showing up and I probably earned a little respect. Just do you and you will be fine.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

IIFYM and it's NYOB. Period.

The probability of someone new to this journey having a clue what IIFYM is small, and I think you meant "it's NOYB" because NYOB doesn't make sense. And it is my business because you posting things on a public internet forum makes it not only my business but everyone elses business as well, so if you do not want other peoples opinions on your misjudgements please keep your opinions to yourself. Have a lovely day!

• serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I only have one gym option (YMCA) in my small town & I know a LOT of people that go there. I feel awkward almost every time, but I put on my headphones & do what I came to do. I still don't venture into the weight section but I use cardio & resistance machines. Classes are hard for me as I feel very out of place with everyone else doing it so effortlessly & me flopping around with no clue. But I go & I do it, because I know that eventually it will get easier & more comfortable for me.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    just to let you know, the people you see at the gym had the same feeling you have now. it'll pass and you'll be in beast mode soon enough like everyone else in there
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't have any embarrassment working out in the gym in a solo activity like running, but I might be self concious if I tried to do one of those aerobics classes. I have 2 left feet.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ferziano wrote: »
    just to let you know, the people you see at the gym had the same feeling you have now. it'll pass and you'll be in beast mode soon enough like everyone else in there

I have been overweight for the major of my life. I never felt negative feeling about where or what gym I workout at.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way about going to the classes at my gym. Or maybe not embarrassment so much as a sense of fear...? I don't even know why I felt that way, but eventually I got over it by actually going! My advice: Just go! No one is paying attention to you there. Trust me.
  • jgignac8
    jgignac8 Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes I used to always feel self conscious going to the gym. But then I realized that no one was interested in what I was doing, they were focused on their own workouts. It also helped that there was a woman's only section in my gym. But hey be proud of yourself and give yourself credit for making the commitment to go! It doesn't matter what others think(because you know that there are always the negative few) and in my experience they are talking about EVERYONE! Don't let them or ANYONE hamper your success!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't have any embarrassment working out in the gym in a solo activity like running, but I might be self concious if I tried to do one of those aerobics classes. I have 2 left feet.
    Oh so that! I've been comfortable in the weight room since day one but I would be extremely self-conscious in group fitness classes.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    jcondeee wrote: »
    I have also felt that way at gyms but recently I joing Planet Fitness and love it. It's a "No judgement Zone"

"no judgement to only a select few"
    Highly judgmental of many others.

Don't buy into their lies.

Hey I go to PF. They can tell me any lie they want if I'm only paying $10 a month. At that price, I don't have to buy in.

PF is a good option for me. It's open super late which is when I go to the gym and I prefer cardio. I can see if you were super serious about lifting how it wouldn't be for you.

I also go to the gym at my work. It is kind of weird wearing gym gear around my much younger and fitter coworkers, but I just say to myself "Have a couple of csections and we will see how skinny your tummy is." Not kind, but true.