Cutting out the sugars

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    woollyelly wrote: »
    Since filling in the food diary, it seems I eat way less fat than I "should" and way more sugar. (eg 101g, goal 51g) This is almost all natural, in skimmed milk, fresh and dried fruit, parsnips, cabbage (?!) etc, with some in rich tea biscuits, yoghurts etc
    Upping my fat intake would just be adding calories for the sake of it, wasting them for no extra gain in my view.
    I'm really struggling to see how to reduce this sugar though. I'm keeping under my calorie goal without too much trouble, do I really need to worry?

This will change over time. When I first reduced my calories, I was all about consuming as much volume as I could. To do that, I cut fat. That got old with the more weight I lost. I recently cut my portions of dairy to consume higher fat versions of it. I've added fats like a small pat of butter to my veggies. I feel MUCH more sated between meals. It doesn't just add calories for the sake of it. I also cleared up the cracking that was happening at the sides of my mouth.

Regarding your sugar intake, as long as you don't have a medical condition, I wouldn't worry about it.

I see that you still have the default settings on your macros. It's fine to be over on protein. The MFP protein setting is a little low, IMO. If you routinely eat closer to 30% routine, you can change your macro distribution to a percentage of your own choosing by going to goals and selecting customize.

• woollyelly
    woollyelly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you are set on your ways then why are you even posting this thread?
    To get ideas of how to reduce my sugar intake, as per my original post.
    Apparently there was a programme about sugar last night, I'll get it on catch up. The medical opinion expressed on there was that sugar in whole fruit/veg is outweighed by the other health benefits, so I think I won't worry too much about it.
    I'm going to try the oily fish though as a way to introduce a bit more fat.
  • woollyelly
    woollyelly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Since filling in the food diary, it seems I eat way less fat than I "should" and way more sugar. (eg 101g, goal 51g) This is almost all natural, in skimmed milk, fresh and dried fruit, parsnips, cabbage (?!) etc, with some in rich tea biscuits, yoghurts etc
    Upping my fat intake would just be adding calories for the sake of it, wasting them for no extra gain in my view.
    I'm really struggling to see how to reduce this sugar though. I'm keeping under my calorie goal without too much trouble, do I really need to worry?

This will change over time. When I first reduced my calories, I was all about consuming as much volume as I could. To do that, I cut fat. That got old with the more weight I lost. I recently cut my portions of dairy to consume higher fat versions of it. I've added fats like a small pat of butter to my veggies. I feel MUCH more sated between meals. It doesn't just add calories for the sake of it. I also cleared up the cracking that was happening at the sides of my mouth.

Regarding your sugar intake, as long as you don't have a medical condition, I wouldn't worry about it.

I see that you still have the default settings on your macros. It's fine to be over on protein. The MFP protein setting is a little low, IMO. If you routinely eat closer to 30% routine, you can change your macro distribution to a percentage of your own choosing by going to goals and selecting customize.

Thanks for the app tips and experiences :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Since filling in the food diary, it seems I eat way less fat than I "should" and way more sugar. (eg 101g, goal 51g) This is almost all natural, in skimmed milk, fresh and dried fruit, parsnips, cabbage (?!) etc, with some in rich tea biscuits, yoghurts etc.....

Closed diary. All sugars are natural, skimmed milk is a bit like soda really so if that's a big part you can cut that out. Biscuits, sweetened yoghurts etc are also optional items if you're looking to trim.